Route help needed

Spirit0f64

This is my first post here and I'm hoping someone out there can help. First, the stats of my systems: I create the .gnd on Microdem/HOG/Tiger on a 7750 KUMA dual-core 3GB DDR2 800 RAM Win XP Pro 32-bit; I then save the data to a flashdrive and copy it on my main system, AMD FX8120 8-core 16GB DDR3 1600 RAM Win 7 Pro 64-bit. The reason for the transfer is that I can't get the Microdem program to function properly on the 64-bit despite repeated attempts at running it in 32-bit mode. I blame it on gremlins!:) Anyway, I followed the instructions given for creating terrain and through a few tweaks have managed to get a working .gnd file. My layout will consist of a Pittsburgh and Lake Erie route. A big project, I know, but I have made many flat routes over the years (my first Trainz was 2009 World builder, I now use 12) and I'm feeling ready to step it up a notch with realistic terrain. My problem is once the data is transferred to the 64-bit system (both HOG and Microdem exist on this computer despite the unusability) I replace the mapfile.gnd file in N3V/User data/backups which is the only place I've found a .gnd file and then open the blank route I previously created only to discover that nothing has changed. It's still a flat, single baseboard.:'( What am I doing wrong and how do I correct it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

The "backup" file is just that, a backup, not the working in game file...

In CMP, "open for edit" your route, or "edit in explorer"..either way, you need to "open" the working route, then replace files in it's folder under userdata/editing folder

Okay...so far, so good. I opened the file for edit in CMP then replaced the .gnd file in the userdata/editing. Is there something else I need to do because the landscape remains the same. It's still just one flat baseboard. I'm new to all this, so please be patient...but I do learn fast! I did re-create the route just to see if it would make a difference, but it did not.

Needs to be mapfile.gnd, usual mistake is calling it some_other_name.gnd.

From the top........

Go into surveyor, create a new 1 board route and save it, exit surveyor, open the new route for edit in explorer, copy your mapfile.gnd file created by hog to the open folder, overwriting the existing mapfile.gnd, then commit.

To get microdem to run in Win 7 64 bit all you need to do is not put it anywhere near Program files, I have it running here in 64 bit Win7 with no compatibility settings. Path is c:\microdem.

Perhaps it is a compression format issue. Try opening your .gnd file, and the original .gnd file in Word Pad, then copy/paste the context (garbled compressed code) from one to the other and "save".

First off, I want to thank KingConrail76 and clam1952 for your help. Following your instructions, I was able to get the files where they belonged and load the DEM properly. Now...you may have seen this one coming...because the tutorial for creating new terrain was made using TS2004 and an older version of Microdem, I was able to create the .gnd file but once committed all I saw was midnight! No baseboards, nothing. I was able to reset the lighting and at least get daylight back but the baseboard had vanished. I retried using a different DEM file and followed the tutorial to the letter but the same thing happened. I'm guessing that there are some changes I am unaware of for creating the DEM in Microdem and hog. A little more patience, please and I think we will have it. Thank you all so much!

Back