Oregon Pacific and Eastern in TS12

frogpipe

Yesterdayz Trainz Member
Inspired by "Emperor of the North (Pole)" and greatly aided by Fishlipsatwork creating a DEM of the area, I have decided to begin an OP&E route.

And I've decided to chronicle my efforts as it were, by starting up a thread from the beginning as a kind of diary.

Here today, three shots - VERY VERY VERY preliminary, but at least one angle should be familiar to those who have seem EOTN.

frogpipe_20131015_0003_zps2fa3d426.jpg

K&L Trainz J1 heads up a short freight churning north bound on the SP mainline.

frogpipe_20131015_0002_zps7bb309ae.jpg

"Ain't you ever heard of the Shack? The 19 belongs to him." - Headed south on the SP Mainline.

frogpipe_20131015_0000_zps8fe6ef53.jpg

Cottage Grove Yard

Is it just me or is that J1 WAY OVERKILL for the amount of train it's hauling? :hehe: just poking some fun, nice work so far!

They are:

132# Jointed Slightly Used (Light Gray High Ballast),<kuid:135229:100018>
132# Ballast Light Gray,<kuid:135229:100280>

Admittedly it is way overkill, but I just wanted to see it run...

Anywho.

Frustrating day today as I spent more time sitting and waiting for Surveyor to unfreeze and let me do something then actually doing anything it seems.

frogpipe_20131017_0005_zps8f97a0be.jpg

frogpipe_20131017_0006_zps7063f7c7.jpg

See them purdy tree covered hills? Well don't get too attached to the trees. Damn things have brought TS12 to it's KNEES. I'm going to try and keep the foreground ones, but how to make the far hills look tree covered with a texture and NOT have it end up looking like a checker board is a mystery to me...

Gotta figure it out though, this is OREGON, and it's OREGON in the 1930's - and that means LOTS of old growth trees in every direction!

Oh and while we're on about equiptment, I doubt many of these roads made it to Oregon, or if they did, that they every sat in the OP&E Yard!! :p

How about for the more distant trees you use the billboard style trees? They are easy on computers and still look pretty good from a distance.

I did, no better, but I will say that once they are on screen everything is smooth, it just take an eternity to unstick and get going. (Every time I move the cam)

Unless I don't understand what a "Billboard Tree" is.

A - Splines are purportedly evil (hard on frame rates)
B - There are hills, BIG hills in EVERY direction, that's alot of splines....

Billboard trees are the ones with at least two tree images set perpendicular to each other so that whatever angle you see it from, you see a tree. Takes alot less effort for a computer to load them.

Well that's depressing... 'cause I have no idea what the cause is. What are your specs please?

Mine:
AMD Athlon II Quad Core 2.8Ghz
EVGA nVidia GTX550Ti
6Gb Ram
WinDOH!z 7

Meanwhile - I am happier today... I stripped the trees off the hills and made a "first attempt" at texturing the hills to appear to be tree covered. Far from being perfect, but it's a start.

frogpipe_20131018_0001_zps4431935d.jpg

View West - I don't think those hills look too unreasonable...

frogpipe_20131018_0000_zps405b5f98.jpg

That same static cam looking south down the yard - more background added.

frogpipe_20131018_0003_zps2889c521.jpg

Just for fun, the A-No.1 Cam

Back