Hybrid Hard Drives

JohnnyC1

Pioneer Valley RR
I am thinking about upgrading my T12 1T HD, which is half full, to a 1t Hybrid Hard Drive. Has anyone had any experience with these type of drives?. It seems that the key to faster frame rates and general performance would be to fix the weak leak, my HD, as I have i7 with 12mb of system memory and AMD Radeon HD 6670 graphics card. I don't think I can afford a 1T SSD!

Thanks John

Very few people can afford a 1TB SSD. If you look on ebay for a 240GB SSD maybe used they are getting very affordable now. You can get your OS on their plus your Trainz stuff as long as you don't overdo it and have a conventional HDD for "everything else".

Before you jump in check that your computer will handle SATA III drives. If it only has IDE capability you will not be able to run a SSD.

Cheers,
Bill69

I am thinking about upgrading my T12 1T HD, which is half full, to a 1t Hybrid Hard Drive.

Thanks John

Unless it's a second drive it will still be full there both 1tb.
I've got my Trains installed on 2 drives.A 1tb raptor for all my downloads & route building only & a 240gb ssd to actually do the driving

Yeah it can handle SATA III. A SSD is out of the question, as the drive T12 is on takes up 450gb. Thanks for the info.

John

Always remember a hybrid drive is still at its core the same old platter drive setup with similar read write issues and failures of the sectors etc the hybrid part is in the drive controller board attached to the drive which makes the bios treat it like a SSD and allows it to communicate faster.

I have fouind over time that to have a SSD for your operating system and installed programs with all data stored on seperate storage drives is the way to go and with most boards now supporting bios raid of SATA drives you can have your system covered to prevent data loss.

If you have OS drive set as part of a mirror raid (esentially having it use to drives to make a exact copy of the OS drive) and use raid 5 withh 3 or more drives for storage which then stores all your data across the 3 drives with part of the backup itself on each drive using 3 drives allows for one to fail and be replaced without loosing any data.

My home server has 10 x 2TB drives in raid 5 setup and i have been able to experiment with it and find that i can have 3 drives fail and still rebuild without loss if i need to.

SSD drives at the moment are still best kept for OS drives because of cost and here in Australia i can get 2 TB SATA drives for under $100 each so makes this sort of setup well worth thinking about.

Beckster

Back