Problem with Vertical_Diesel_Lift by Bendorsey

teddytoot

Ancient Trainzer
Hello Ben

There seems to be a problem with your vertical diesel lift in TS12 (build 58414). The animation does not seem to be completely correct as at the upper level the train derails coming off the actual lifting part. Looking closely, it appears that it is not quite reaching the level of the fixed rails, hence the problem.

Or am I alone in having this problem?

I tested it here in TS2004 and after changing the kuid put it in TS202/SP1/HF3 and it generated no errors. I did not test it in 2012. Let me give it a try and get back to you.

EDIT: Yup - something ain't right. lol. Let me look into it some more.

EDIT (again): OK I see what's the matter but not why. One of the strict criteria of a turntable or transfer table is the various track attachment points must be positioned with extreme accuracy - not only in the X and Y axis but the Z axis as well. I looked at this in TRS2004 and zoomed it very close and everything is as it should be but doing the same thing in TS2012 shows a height difference between the lift when its in the up position and the tracks its supposed to connect with. This is fixable (but not today - tomorrow - yes, lol.

Another oddity of TS2012/SP1/HF3 I guess.

Ben

Last edited:
Probably not in the US. There are vertical car (wagon) lifts in England. I made 2 or 3 from photos of the real thing.

Ben

OK gents - I'm beginning to think this is a non-workable item (or at least in TS2009 and up). I've been fiddling with it for 2 hours and no matter what I do I can't make it consistent. I got it to work exactly once (on only one of the two tracks up top) with the lift in the up position but when I lowered the traverser then went up again it derailed. I have zoomed in as close as I can and see no positional discrepancy between the rails on the lift and the rails on the apron but it consistently derails.

To be blunt this does not happen with the TRS2004 version. It works like clockwork so perhaps this item is a no go and needs to be deleted from the DLS.

However - - - if some Trainzer familiar with Gmax and would like to fiddle with it I'll be glad to send you the original Gmax mesh. PM me your e-mail address if your interested and good luck, lol.

Ben

I backdated the trainz-build 2.9 numeral to be 2.6, and It works perfectly in TRS2006 ... I have been trying to get it to derail ... but I am sorry ... this asset is a win win in TRS2006 :cool:

Last edited:
Hi Cascade:

Which just seems to reinforce the fact that something has changed between TS2006 and TS2009. Another oddity of this in 2012 (as a 2009 item) is that when I click on the arrow and the lift starts to rise the loco doesn't start to rise until the lift has moved upwards by at least 2 feet - right through the loco!!!! That certainly isn't the case in TRS2004 where I initially tested it. Guess this is one of those "you can't get there from here" items, lol. understand the following:

Two rules N3V needs to understand:
1. If it ain't broke - don't fix it.
2. New and improved isn't necessarily better.

Ben

Will Wood (WKWood) and I have been discussing this kind of situation via emails.

It's interesting how they do things...

John

I totally agree with Ben's two rules.
I have noticed that turntables don't work as they should in TS12 as well.
The track on the turntable disappears while the turntable is in motion.

Cheers,
Bill69

Hi Ben,

In TS2009 and TS2010 the track on the turntable did not disappear, neither did the track on the approach. In earlier versions the approach track did disappear.

Cheers,
Bill69

Back