Signal help 3 track Y

Leo,

Maybe try a British or similar style signal with the feather or box route indicators on top of the signals.

Dan.

Hi Leo,

It's not as difficult as you think. If this is a stub ended yard, I assume, then there is no signal needed facing toward the switches. What you need are signals facing outwards toward the signal track. For this I would use dwarf Type 04s such as the CNR Dwarf or equivalent.

I hope this helps.

John

First thanks for responses.
I guess I need to be more clear. At the Y I put a 3 head signal, switch set for straight thru top head green middle & bottm red, switch set for the right track middle green top & bottom red. The move switch to go left track has no effect on any of the heads they stay at the right track display.

So my question is there any way to get the bottom head to interact with the left switch direction. I realize there is only one juction so that might be the problem.

I set up another test track with a straight, then a right juction, then a left and it seems to operate the same way straight thru and right junction works the signal but left again has no effect on the 3 head signal.

My goal is for the train to see if the straight, right, or left juntion is set.

I'm going to set this up in my unpatched version and see if it works any different there.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide.

First check the levers are placed correct. From the image they look as if they may be a little bit tight on the spline point. If one is slightly on the wrong side the signal wont see the junction and stay red.

Thanks for the suggestion played with that for a few hours, no luck.
I think the issue is that for this type of junction there is only one switch lever, even though it will allow the engine to go straight, right, or left.
Probably too complex for the script for three head signals.

Can you provide an example of what track and juction layout would even use a 3 head signal? It could be that I just don't understand this type of setup as i have only been a Trainz user since December.
I do thank any and all that can enlighten me.

it sounds like they are working as they should.

the middle head should indicate a diverging route, either left or right. the bottom head is for additional information about speed usually. typically it is not the job of the signal to convey what direction a track is switched to, but to convey speed and occupation information.

And the light comes on thank you for the explanation, I was pretty sure I was just not knowledgable enought to understand a 3 head signal or possibly any signal at this point of learning.

it sounds like they are working as they should.

the middle head should indicate a diverging route, either left or right. the bottom head is for additional information about speed usually. typically it is not the job of the signal to convey what direction a track is switched to, but to convey speed and occupation information.

Justin: As a retired engineer from BNSf, I would like to clarify your statement. I have dealt with numerous 3 head signals, and all 3 heads DO indicate routes as well as speed. An example would be a double track main with a Right Handed turnout going to say, a yard. Immediately after that turnout would be a crossover to the other main track. On a 3 head signal, if you went into the yard on the right handed turnout, you would get a bottom flashing red (this would indicate your diverging into the yard turnout, with your speed at Restricted. The top head would be used if you went straight thru the first turnout and the crossover. The second head would be used to indicate your going straight thru the first turnout, and diverging to the other main at the crossover. The top head would be the standard RYG, and the second head could display RYG, or flashing Y or G depending on turnout speed.

true enough, i was working on another project and kinda in too much of a hurry to articulate my ideas well enough. i apologize for that.

what i was saying is that they do not indicate the direction a switch at a turnout is thrown, and they dont, they indicate route conditions for that path. they might tell you that you will be moving through a turnout, but not what way that turnout is set. that is something you have to equate yourself. though it may be in itself somewhat rare, a clear indication on the top head just might put you through the diverging leg of a turnout if the straight leg is the divergence from the main.

Can Trainz handle a 3 way switch? I know that at one time it was not possible to make to make a 3-way switch lever. Has this changed?

Peter

no this has always been possible as far as i can remember, but i started with UTC. this is why there are 3 junction directions, left, right, and forward.

Yes, trainz supports a three way switch, and the built in signalling logic can handle up to seven ways by the use of targets. But you need to use signals that utilise it. Chris.

Back