Trackmarks acting like signals???

halloman

My layout is using TS2012. Size is approx 800km long. (Auckland to Wellington (North Island main trunk 650km) in New Zealand plus a few of the country lines i.e. Wellington to Palmerston North via Masterton). Both single and Double Line. When sending trains from Wellington north, trains are stopping at trackmarks if the line to the next trackmark is in use even if they have a green signal. I do use the "Drive Via" command. This problem resolves itself once trains get past a place called Waikanae approx 100km north of Wellington.
Strange thing is I can have 10 to 15 trains at the same time heading south on the same section of double line with no problem. Also some points are not resetting to "preferred direction" once a train has passed. The following train will wait on a red light until I change the points manually. Bit tedious when running 20 or so trains on 800km of track. Does anyone know of a reason for this.
I did have a thought that as the original layout was started on TS2009 and I have upgraded over the years that something may not be compatible with TS2012.I don't really want to rebuild the whole system in TS2012. It's already taken me many years.

it has to be something other than what you suspect. trackmarks cannot possibly act as signals. they are different things internally.

Check the junction levers are not on the wrong side of the spline point or too near them. This can sometimes cause them not to work all the time and this would also effect the signals.

My layout is using TS2012. Size is approx 800km long. (Auckland to Wellington (North Island main trunk 650km) in New Zealand plus a few of the country lines i.e. Wellington to Palmerston North via Masterton). Both single and Double Line. When sending trains from Wellington north, trains are stopping at trackmarks if the line to the next trackmark is in use even if they have a green signal. I do use the "Drive Via" command. This problem resolves itself once trains get past a place called Waikanae approx 100km north of Wellington.
Strange thing is I can have 10 to 15 trains at the same time heading south on the same section of double line with no problem. Also some points are not resetting to "preferred direction" once a train has passed. The following train will wait on a red light until I change the points manually. Bit tedious when running 20 or so trains on 800km of track. Does anyone know of a reason for this.
I did have a thought that as the original layout was started on TS2009 and I have upgraded over the years that something may not be compatible with TS2012.I don't really want to rebuild the whole system in TS2012. It's already taken me many years.

I have just deleted all trackmarks on the affected track - deleted all north bound track and relaid it - checked all signals and points - trains still not following as per signal rules from Wellington to the north. Set up 5 trains to run from Auckland south at the same time with first trackmark leaving Auckland then 650km to Wellington Seaport with no trackmarks or waypoints inbetween. All trains went on their merry way with no problems. Ideas?????

Sounds like a bit more "trial and error needed". Have you tried running your northbound trains without any southbound coming towards you? I just wonder if one or more southbound AI drivers is thinking about coming over to your line even though he never actually does it.

Alan

I think the only way you are going to fix it is trial and error. Are you using any yellow track direction markers or any pink track priority markers? I have sometimes found that a track direction marker facing the wrong direction gives problems like this. Another thing that can cause problems is signals too close together so that their zones overlap, alternatively not enough signals or an improperly signalled junction.

Scottish

Check the junction levers are not on the wrong side of the spline point or too near them. This can sometimes cause them not to work all the time and this would also effect the signals.

Just what is the wrong side of the spline point and what ism too near the spline mean?

John

When trainz places the levers it is sometimes very close to the spline point and it has been known to shift slightly. The lever must be on the single track side of the split but within the spline circle. You can open the route and session in CMP select all then view asset versions to see if any updates are available.

When trainz places the levers it is sometimes very close to the spline point and it has been known to shift slightly. The lever must be on the single track side of the split but within the spline circle. You can open the route and session in CMP select all then view asset versions to see if any updates are available.

What happens when the lever falls on the joining track?

John

Problem solved. I had 4 lines leaving Wellington. Hutt Valley, Melville, Johnsonville & Waikanae. Each line had a trackmark to tell the train which one to use. I stopped using the trackmarks and let trains decide for themselves and presto - no further problems. Still can't explain why but it worked. Many thanks for all the advice and suggestions regarding this problem.

Back