cpr2-6-6southofBrookmere_zps14fce2ac.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

and,

cpr2-6-6southofBrookmere-2_zps92296b45.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

That's all for today.
cheers,
--Michael.

Fantastic Michael! I was hoping you would tackle some of the smaller locos. Did you also do the skins on those passenger cars? I like the look of those (even if they are CP!).

Once again, looking at your screenshots has been like taking some kind of happy pill for me! No, I'm not just kissing your butt! I really like the "feel" of the areas you have modeled.

I have some questions I hope you can answer. How do you decide which way to tilt the red and gold CNR herald (finally figured out how to spell "herald", I'm an idiot a lot of the time) or logo on the tenders? On one side, the letters tilt up and on the other, down. (Know what I mean?). I'm just curious. Was there some type of "rule" they followed? Also, I've seen the odd "level" herald, for some reason (space?). Looking at real life models sometimes makes me think the heralds might have been different sizes?

Great work again, Michael! Thanks for all the work and time that you put in! SOME gimme pig was wondering if that 2-6-0 will come in CNR colours.

Man, I've really come to a dead stop on my route. I've been up since about 4 and have not and most likely will not even flash up my Trainz computer. I was tired of doing just about everything, decided to start lowering the land on some lakes, rivers, ocean. I just couldn't get into it. I may take a break for the summer or get some work done when it's not so nice outdoors.

Cheers.....(oh, all right, the gimme pig is me, don't tell anybody!)....Rick

Last edited:
Fantastic Michael! I was hoping you would tackle some of the smaller locos. Did you also do the skins on those passenger cars? I like the look of those (even if they are CP!).

I've a plan. This, of course, causes hysterical laughter from the bleachers. So I went through CPR's steam roster, made a list, searched DLS and other freeware sites. First, 2-6-0, then 4-6-0, 2-8-2, 2-10-0, 4-4-2 and additionally 4-6-4, 2-8-0.
Next (and one-at-time) google for pictures. I reject shots of brass & plastic models and heritage sites 'cuz they often reflect the substance abused dreams of the painter.
The passenger cars are from bendorsey. Check DLS for "totc" and "yvrr". You can change the road name and number in the config.txt file.

Once again, looking at your screenshots has been like taking some kind of happy pill for me! No, I'm not just kissing your butt! I really like the "feel" of the areas you have modeled.

I have some questions I hope you can answer. How do you decide which way to tilt the red and gold CNR herald (finally figured out how to spell "herald", I'm an idiot a lot of the time) or logo on the tenders? On one side, the letters tilt up and on the other, down. (Know what I mean?). I'm just curious. Was there some type of "rule" they followed? Also, I've seen the odd "level" herald, for some reason (space?). Looking at real life models sometimes makes me think the heralds might have been different sizes?

You just had to go there, didn't you. I doubt anybody really knows. My rule: if it tilts up (or down) at the loco end of the tender, it will tilt up (or down) on the other side; no tilt: hey that's easy.

Great work again, Michael! Thanks for all the work and time that you put in! SOME gimme pig was wondering if that 2-6-0 will come in CNR colours.

Man, I've really come to a dead stop on my route. I've been up since about 4 and have not and most likely will not even flash up my Trainz computer. I was tired of doing just about everything, decided to start lowering the land on some lakes, rivers, ocean. I just couldn't get into it. I may take a break for the summer or get some work done when it's not so nice outdoors.

I know what you mean. My strategy - your mileage will vary - work on another route; re-skin something; watch TV [see PS] or read.

Cheers.....(oh, all right, the gimme pig is me, don't tell anybody!)....Rick

Like I didn't see that coming :hehe:. One of the things I look for is how closely does the asset I'm re-skining match an original? For example all the 2-6-0 assets have a 'high headlight'. I finally found a picture of a 2-6-0 with a high headlight. It's a Mobil & Gulf. So there were 2-6-0s with high headlights. My fiction will be that #97 was a rebuild by CN.

Fingers tired. All for now, and you are most welcome!
cheers,
--Michael.
PS <OT> I made a list of all the Academy Award wining foreign films. Yesterday I watched "La Grande Bellezza" (Oscar 2014) (see above). It had a profound effect on me. Also, I have eBook copies of Steven Erikson's Malazan series. IMO a set of Fantasy novels that challenges JRR's Lord of the Rings for supremacy.

The CN & CP are grate saves me alot of time thats now spent on my Canada map making it Michael good work. Can I make a request would you be willing to skin my RS23 into WHRC for me There Ex CP I better skin the whats on them please? The RS23 can't be released yet I'm not done with the model.
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/locoPicture.aspx?id=61505
Whether I can re-skin depends on how you textured the mesh. I suggest you edit (in CM) one of my steam engine uploads and see where I changed names, numbers etc. The VIA RDC is an example of the other form of texturing, where I can only change the stripe with the railroad name and both ends. I cannot change the colour of the doors, sides or windows because they are textured from within the mesh itself, I think.

I am not going to become a 3D modeler.

If you want to discuss further, PM me your email and we can go from there. I should warn you, that doing requests feels like a job and I am RETIRED.

cheers,
--Michael.

For CNR fans.

Hi,

cnr2-6-0745atBrookmere-1_zps429c59cd.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
and
cnr2-6-0745atBrookmere-2_zps967fe810.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
And that's as close as can get to a "Licence Plate".

cheers,
--Michael.

Morning Guys;

Michael, I saw this yesterday and made (almost) a reply. I wanted to look at something on the previous page and lost the reply. Sometimes I get a warning this will happen, other times I don't seem to see the warning. Anyway, the excitement of seeing another CNR steamer has worn off a little....just a little, so hopefully I am calmed down enough to make this post successfully.

Well, all of a sudden I have too many (oh, I'm not complaining!) CNR steamers to choose from! Who could believe that would ever happen!? I have not decided on a roundhouse yet, although I'm always drawn back to the one I see in your shot. Whatever I decide on, there can only be 3 stalls. I have not built the yard yet, but I know there is room for a sort of "holding track" or 2 by the roundhouse. The locos that bring freight in from the outside world can be turned and sent there to wait for a train to be made up. There should be plenty of room on these tracks (hint, hint!).

Thank you once again, Michael! I'm sure I'm not the only Canadian steam fan who has been hoping this day would come! It's been like a bonanza! Great work, my friend!

Cheers.....Rick

Whether I can re-skin depends on how you textured the mesh. I suggest you edit (in CM) one of my steam engine uploads and see where I changed names, numbers etc. The VIA RDC is an example of the other form of texturing, where I can only change the stripe with the railroad name and both ends. I cannot change the colour of the doors, sides or windows because they are textured from within the mesh itself, I think.

I am not going to become a 3D modeler.

If you want to discuss further, PM me your email and we can go from there. I should warn you, that doing requests feels like a job and I am RETIRED.

cheers,
--Michael.

I sent you a PM

Happy birthday Canada, you big beautiful country!!! Count your blessings fellas, there is no better place to live! Have a good one, eh!

Cheers....Rick
rickf77_20140701_0000.jpg~original

The beer train is coming...thank goodness!! Let's hope it can make it into town with at least a little beer. Last year, mysteriously, it just disappeared. D's crew....again? I would have to say...yes! Have a good one D!!

Cheers....Rick

there a car loaded with Rick's Beer and graded by a armed Gard with a rocketluncher and sniper incase the crew gets any funny ideas.

Oh, Let's hear it for the golden days of youth, when celebrating Canada Day (on the lawns of the Parlymunt buildings), we could down endless pints of draught. Those days are gone, but Canada Day lives on.

Rather than floating in a sea of suds, my wife and I plan to feast on: Nova Scotia lobster, Pacific Sockeye salmon, PEI potatoes washed down with a bottle of Vancouver Island Gewürztraminer. Tomorrow: BBQ`d BC Bison, locally grown vegetables in a salad, frozen french fries from the maritimes and a bottle of Okanagan Cabernet.

We wish all Canadian Trainzers and Canucks from anywhere a Happy Canada Day!

cheers,
--Michael.
PS Remember the folks just south of us celebrate their day on the 4th of July.
PPS Don`t spoil the occasion by `drinking and driving`

Last edited:
That's a very fine shot pdk!!

All right the rest of ya, let's see some more of the great white north (even when it's not so white)!

Cheers... Rick
rickf77_20140715_0000.jpg~original

Been busy

Hi folks,

Well - as expected - TS12 can no longer cope with The Kettle Valley RR. So as I did with the E&N, I'm putting the route on the shelf. Perhaps Tane will be able to meet my expectations.

So, I've started on the CPR in Eastern BC. The route starts in Grand Forks and goes east then north to Golden and Field. The line will be 560 kms. The route will likely be about 11,000 baseboards and about 800 megs. Won't know for a day or two. TransDEM 2.5.1 is now a 64bit app. and I'm glad to have 16Gb. of ram.

I thought I'd give a sneak peek at the RAW layout. The 2 screenshots are of the Golden BC yard.

2-10-2atgolden2_zpsc0829577.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
and
2-10-2atgolden_zps64ac282a.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Please remember the layout has had nothing done to it.

Cheers,
--Michael.
PS the trackage comes from the National Railway Network which has TransDEM compatible ESRI shape files.

My word, where are you getting the energy from! 560 kms? I hope you enjoy creating every mile!

Michael, what happened to your other routes? Just too much for your computer to handle? I sure hope they DO work in Tane.

All the best on your new route! Sounds like a real monster! Well, get on with it! I'm 63, I'd like to live long enough to see the finished product! Keep sending us updates. If I depart before you finish, at least I'll go with a smile on my face from looking at your screenshots!

Cheers....Rick

Back