The Canadian Thread - Hi-Res images

If Monet and Renoir had painted the same scene they would perceive the works of the hand of God and Man differently.

Then and Now Golden, Canada 1887 and 2016

:D How lucky we are.

Last edited:
Fantastic shots Norm! And Fantastic work Cayden on such a well detailed route. This should be marketed as payware to be completely honest. It deserves a whole lot of respect, and I think you have done well to capture that. I give much thanks to Cayden for putting in so much time on the route.
Now for a few less fantastic shots... :)

d8acd800b0958da2f3f244e5746d4e95.jpg

b267bdcc1dcd65d850dadbe361e5f8b4.jpg

fbb068d418bb52e1b0e41b312742070d.jpg

60f31731e45da7477126f25b91e311e1.jpg

Norm, that's a whole bunch of nice looking shots of Cayden's route. Thanks for showing them to us.

A nice mix of power that you're using Chris. You're doing a great job there!

CP crossing Highway 14 east of Biggar.
Cheers, Jack

3ca11c23984426124783c75457c3931e.jpg

Hi Folks;

First a shot of some CPR 4-4-0s (mine; on DLS)

2016-12-10%20132647_zpsphkwx3ru.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

This is the first bridge on the CPR mainline, just east of Golden. Cayden's MBC 1887 15-Nov-2106 is the route.

The second is at the same location:

2016-12-10%20155522_zpsacthkxwl.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
This from my WIP route "CPR BC East"

I'll try to post more shots now.
cheers,
--Michael.

Thanks for the wonderful set of cars and locomotives Michael!

Hi Folks;

First a shot of some CPR 4-4-0s (mine; on DLS)

This is the first bridge on the CPR mainline, just east of Golden. Cayden's MBC 1887 15-Nov-2106 is the route.

The second is at the same location:

<image cropped>

This from my WIP route "CPR BC East"

I'll try to post more shots now.
cheers,
--Michael.

Is your route going to be set in the "Turn of the Century" era?

Last edited:
It just goes to show how powerful TANE is;

There have to be thousands, perhaps tens of thousands of RMM SpeedTrees in this shot and yet not a shudder, not a dropped frame, smooth as silk. Awesome!

normhart sez: "Thanks for the wonderful set of cars and locomotives Michael!"

You are more than welcome!

He also sez: "Is your route going to be set in the "Turn of the Century" era?"

No It's the 1950's to present. The CPR tore up all it's track on The KVRR, and it's track from Midway, BC to Castlegar, BC in the 80s and 90s. So I am stretching things, but The KVRR was all there in the 50s as was the track to Castlegar. I'm doing present day implementations of the Urban areas because I can use google Earth and Streetview to do the buildings. (It can be frustrating sometimes: there is a block in Castlegar which has a store shown in the 2004 and 2009 imagery but is gone in the 2014 imagery). The Tracks are 1950 to present.

I've found I'm terrible a making up a street of houses. So I have a six block layout which has _all_ the houses on DLS, all the fences, all the walls, all the cars, all the storefronts and all the speedtreez. It resides on a computer to the left, the route in progress is on the computer to the right.

For example: 1st Street, Castlegar.

2016-12-10%20175611_zpsfu4c9tpe.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cheers,
--Michael.
PS It's not the number of speedtreez in view, but the number of _different_ speedtreez in view that can slow things down. It was a killer in TS12. I haven't noticed any degradation yet in TAN:E and I use a lot of different speedtreez.

It all looks very nice, and the power of 64 Bit over 32, with more addressable Ram available, is why I dropped TS-12, and went to T:ANE I like larger routes too, which TS-12 would cough on, T:ANE doesn't within reason have that problem from what I'm C in and N a hearing round the Community of Trainzers.......And like any other new Software (Cough, Cough Windows) T:ANE has its issues too, and I am content that over time will make our way thru it!

Don't worry about the House's you can always go back and re situate how their placement is, I know it's a pain in the Neck, but hey your route is looking really nice.

For what it's worth I have run into a lot of layouts where the houses where just Jammed together any old way, The Street's had more jacked up curves that Carter has pills, and I would go back if I liked the layout and reorient or do something with them to make it more appealing for my impression....

Thanks for sharing the Pics.......

MBC 1887 Mountain Creek Trestle

Every time I decide I'm not going to post anymore screenies from this route I see something like this. :D

Looks good Normhart, keep going with the great pictures! May I ask if you can make your consist available? Unfortunately, I am not so educated in this era, but would be glad if you could help me and others perhaps. :confused:

Meanwhile, some of Roystrainz "Rogers Pass" subsection.

6T9sHg.jpg

tSCPyH.jpg

0vRLUB.jpg

@escd84 The coaches etc. are froobie's and are on the DLS, he also has some lovely locomotives. They are a much later date than the 1887 route, "Turn of the Century" era or Transition era, about 15-45 years later.

The locomotive is a hasty repaint I did of bdaneal's Genoa locomotive and I don't have permission to distribute it and frankly the repaint isn't really all that good or at all historically accurate.

Cayden is talking about releasing some repainted passenger cars from pencil42 which should be the right era. There is, so far as I can tell, virtually nothing from the Canadian 1880s on the DLS and very little information on locomotives of the era. Most appear to have been manufactured in the UK or Canada. Not many if any US engines.

Edit; having just crossed Rodgers Pass in the 1880s I must say I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like in the modern era. Can't wait for RoysTrainz to release it.

Last edited:
Lots of great mountain shots lately. Thanks Norm, Michael, escd84. They are all good to see. I think that you've done a real nice job with Castlegar, Michael. Spent some time in that area a few years ago - beautiful! Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers, Jack

Some nice shots from you VIA. I like that one with the tire shop.

Here's CP hauling potash west, crossing over Highway 4 north of Biggar.

Cheers, Jack

7afb0dd3bfbde13b2ae4e56b565e19bd.jpg

Lots of great mountain shots lately. Thanks Norm, Michael, escd84. They are all good to see. I think that you've done a real nice job with Castlegar, Michael. Spent some time in that area a few years ago - beautiful! Looking forward to seeing more.

Cheers, Jack

Thanks very much for the compliment. It means a lot right now. I had two 'big surgeries' this summer and fall and I'm still recovering... The Castlegar bit was done after I came home.
The present CPR track ends just west of Castlegar and between the end of Track and the city there is a lot of industry, which is where I'll be working next.

Cheers,
--Michael.
PS I really enjoy all the screen shots you folks post. Some of them - no names - evoke the reaction: Fxxx, I wish I was that good. ;-(

Hi Michael. I hope the recovery from your surgery is going well and that you're 100% before long. As for your screen shots - you are that good!

Take care,
Jack

Back