The Canadian Thread - Hi-Res images

CP local

3st5LCu.jpg

tiSpyTw.jpg

6VvQl8z.jpg

Cheers

Thanks! It’s actually protolanced. CPR had a few steamships with train connections and the terminals were always these big grand affairs. Just look at Victoria’s Steamship Terminal or the station at Port McNicoll Ontario.

I’m just not sure about the red steel under the glass dome if it matches the old style stonework of the passenger terminal and steamship offices

I'd suggest painting the steel black instead, though I have no historical basis for that beyond childhood memories of Ottawa's railroad and canal infrastructure from the 1960s. The building itself appears to me to be somewhat out of scale with the trains, and seems to me to be much too white and washed-out looking. I must admit that it also feels to me to be something more like an exhibition hall that a terminal building. However, all of these are no more than my personal feelings, YMMV. :wave:

I'd suggest painting the steel black instead, though I have no historical basis for that beyond childhood memories of Ottawa's railroad and canal infrastructure from the 1960s. The building itself appears to me to be somewhat out of scale with the trains, and seems to me to be much too white and washed-out looking. I must admit that it also feels to me to be something more like an exhibition hall that a terminal building. However, all of these are no more than my personal feelings, YMMV. :wave:

Funny you mention Ottawa, I'm only a couple hours south, so I kinda went for a Union Station feel. Decided to go with gray/silver metalwork and reworked the terminal block, I think it looks better and 6904 looks good spotting the Cattaraugus Cannonball while 1300 gets serviced at the Wanakah yard for the return trip

20210305213020-1.jpg

20210305213032-1.jpg

20210305201157-1.jpg

Amazing screenshots Hoggerdrew and Casey!

-----------------

CN unit train passing by the last set of semaphores and through the rolling countryside

vvPrIH7.jpg

0JO1XIz.jpg

pcr9aUp.jpg

cMM8Dwa.jpg

Cheers

Some shots from Dover Springs, ON. ;)

Dover Springs is a main Divisional Point on CPR's Melville Subdivision, so it frequently plays host to numerous engines, everything from 0-8-0 yard switchers to the 4-8-4 Northerns that work the highball "Roller Freights", and everything in between, including the Division plow and Auxilliary Train
20210308215937-1.jpg

20210308220013-1.jpg

Family road trip I see happening there ;)

------------------------------------------------

Nice airshots Hogger.

------------------------------------------------

CN coal unit train as the sun sets

hlnBTss.jpg

dsPy2xv.jpg

CUQAot0.jpg

UlnpWBZ.jpg

d6AUqJC.jpg

Cheers

Due to CP's decision in late October of '57 to make Dover Springs a divisional point on the Melville Sub, there had to be some changes made. In April of '58, the powers that be, Mr T. M. Easton, General Manager - Engines and Rolling Stock, authorised and supervised the construction of a 4 track Coach Repair Shop, or CRS, as well as 3 RIP tracks adjacent, for the servicing of all coaches and freight equipment, as well as storage for the Auxiliary. Upon opening of the facility they marked the occasion with some aerial photos to show the improved yard.
20210310011732-1.jpg

20210310012159-1.jpg

General Manager Easton also authorised the order of 25 new G5a class 4-6-2 engines for passenger and occaisional way-freight service. This order adds to the 5 G5a's, 10 N2a's, and 2 V4 class engines assigned to the division.
20210310012240-1.jpg

20210310012114-1.jpg

Hi! Any news on the route between Trail, B.C. and Grand Forks? There was quite a bit of progress for a while, and now I can't find the thread, so I am curious...

VIA 6302 leads Train 9 eastward on a drizzly morning
20210315053850-1.jpg

Anyone know why the ARN keeps giving these white patches on certain locos?

@HoggerDrew re: ARN keeps giving these white patches on certain locos
Don’t know why. I think my solution was to find an F7 asset without that ARN mesh but with the same skin file names and layout as the VIA. Replace the skin files with the VIA skins.

Waiting for the Canadian
Waiting.jpg

Back