The Canadian Thread - Hi-Res images

CaseyBerg, thank you. And here is another installment from the CRM, this time on the Viktor Lake to Ross Peak and Glacier. We join Phillippe as he emerges from the mouth of the tunnel at Ross Peak, heading a hotshot stack train, where he meats a grain train heading back to the Prairies:

Out-of-the-tunnel-to-meet-a-grain-train.jpg

Past the holding tracks at Ross Peak, we ease down the hill

Easing-downhill%2C-west-of-Ross-Peak.jpg

At the merge, we wait about five minutes for another stack train to get out of our way

After-only-about-five-minutes%2C-the-traffic-is-revealed-to-be-another-stack-train-like-ours.jpg

And further downhill, a snowshed looms

Further-downhill%2C-a-snowshed-looms.jpg

As we approach Illecillewaet, (try to spell *that* after a few beers!) it appears that MoW has some tree surgery to attend to, lest we lose the wires in the next wind storm

Nearing-Illecilewat%2C-it-looks-like-MoW-has-a-tree-to-trim.jpg

Fortunately, the Illecillewaet MoW station is only about half a mile further west

Fortunately%2C-Illecillewaet-MoW-station-is-less-than-half-a-mile-ahead.jpg

Phillippe commences muttering vague Quebecois maledictions. As the hill gets steeper, the combination of slope, train mass, and available locomotive power conspires to create a situation where the ideal dynamic brake setting is notch 3.5

As-the-hill-gets-steeper%2C-slope-and-train-weight-conspire-to-put-the-ideal-DB-setting-between-two-notches-....jpg

Containers in the mist. Perhaps they are loaded with pallets of Gorilla Glue?

Containers-in-the-mist.-Perhaps-they-are-carrying-crates-of-Gorilla-glue%3F.jpg

Further on, we meet Edgar and his tank train. He seems a little out of sorts today, and does not acknowledge us in any way

Just-east-of-Lauretta%2C-we-meet-Edgar-and-his-tankers.jpg

Hmmm. This might be what was bothering Edgar. The dispatcher calls us up to explain that this train developed a brake problem with on of its leading locos. After talking it over with the dispatcher, the engineer did not feel safe bringing the train the rest of the way down to Revelstoke, and was granted permission to park the train here, uncouple, and run into Revelstoke for a replacement loco. This would not have been too much of a problem, except that when he got to Revelstoke, the standby loco threw a rod as soon as they throttled up to come back and fetch the train, and there wasn't another loco ready to go. Since all that went down about ten minutes before we got to the train in question, Dispatch decided that the fastest way to clear the track would be for us to pick up the train ourselves and bring it in.

Something-has-gone-wrong-here%2C-and-Dispatch-asks-us-if-we-can-pick-up-the-stall-and-drag-it-to-Revelstoke-to-clear-the-line.jpg

After carefully making sure that the handset is back in its cradle, Phillippe further exercises his stock of Quebecois maledictions. We uncouple from our train just behind the crossover, and run ahead to pick up the casualty

Unhooking%2C-we-run-ahead-to-the-next-crossing-to-change-tracks-and-pick-up-the-stall.jpg

Shortly after we cross over to the other track and start back to the casualty, the sun finally climbs high enough to shine into the valley and light the tracks

Finally%2C-the-sun-clears-the-mountains-far-enough-to-shine-on-the-tracks%21.jpg

We couple to the casualty ...

Coupling-to-the-stall.jpg

... pull it up past the crossover, and then back onto our own train

Reversing-back-to-our-stack-cars.jpg

Setting off again with both trains in tow, we soon come to a bridge built over the merger of two mountain streams

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

Although we now have a bit over twice the weight of train with only a third more motive power, that's still plenty of power, and the DBs have no trouble holding the train. Ami gives us a cheerful wave and a toot of the horn as we pass, and things are looking up

Ami-waves-as-we-go-by.jpg

Sadly, the good times don't last. Our train develops its own brake issues, and we pull into the yard at Revelstoke accompanied by the squeal of dragging brakes. The yardmaster assigns us a track, and tells us to park the train so his maintenance crews can look things over. Since this is anticipated to take rather longer than the remaining time on our shift, we are instructed to call it a day.

Pulling-into-Revelstoke.jpg

(Yes, the game actually did give me dragging brakes. For some reason, the brake cylinder kept wanting to stay at 5 psi. I probably could have bypassed the problem by switching to simple mode, but this makes for a better story. :p)

Hiawathmr has a DLC prairie route currently available to gold members, but going to be available to the rest of us very soon. It is called LaFond Regional Railway. I think it will be a very good route. VIA614 had some east-coast Canadian routes on the DLS that I was going to try, but I had to downsize and I don't have them in my new instance. I also remember someone posting screenshots of a Quebec route. a while back, but I don't have it and don't recall the creator, perhaps someone else can fill that in.

Hiawathmr has a DLC prairie route currently available to gold members, but going to be available to the rest of us very soon. It is called LaFond Regional Railway. I think it will be a very good route. VIA614 had some east-coast Canadian routes on the DLS that I was going to try, but I had to downsize and I don't have them in my new instance. I also remember someone posting screenshots of a Quebec route. a while back, but I don't have it and don't recall the creator, perhaps someone else can fill that in.

Yes, I'm planning to d/l the LaFond route tonight. I, too, believe it will be quite good. Thanks for the suggestions. :wave:

So, I picked up hiawathamr's Lafond Regional Railway last night, and today I played the first scenario, Clark City Service, from it. All I can say is, WOW, what a gorgeous route and a GREAT switching scenario! It took me almost exactly 3 hours to finish, and I got a perfect score which I didn't really deserve, since I coupled WAY too hard on one occasion. I was sufficiently absorbed that I only took one screenshot:

The-smoke-seems-to-be-a-bit-confused-about-its-origins-....jpg

This was in the yard at Clark City, near the end of the scenario. The real reason that I took the picture was because the smoke seemed to be rather confused about where it was supposed to be coming from. I know this is a game issue having nothing to do with this route, but I can't remember, was this an issue on older game versions as well? Anyway, fabulous route, I'd buy it again in a heartbeat. My only (very minor) gripe was that it took me a couple of minutes to figure out what to do next after stopping at the first scenario marker; the next marker was difficult to spot because it was fairly distant and low on the horizon. Once I figured that out it was all completely clear, and a lot of fun to run. Thank you very much, hiawathamr! :D

Casey - I like the picture of the river, very calming.

---------------------------------------------

64warhorse - Nice screenshots of the Canadian mountains, and also glad to see you are enjoying the route and its sessions :D
The sessions I like to make them a bit challenging instead of of the traditional 'do step 1. Good, now do step 2, etc' - gotta make it more interesting as they say ;)
As for the coupling, I don't know how to do that yet, and if I do manage, Trainz might have a meltdown lol.

With Trainz, and this bug was also presented in TANE which isn't fix, if you have PhysX enabled, then it'll cause the smoke to do that. Simply unchecking it fixes everything. Once I found that out, I never ever had it checked again (it also improves performance as well).

Good luck with the other sessions!

---------------------------------------------

Here we catch a CN tanker unit train rolling through the fog that rolled in
iSNASyk.jpg

Cheers

One of the better fog shots I have seen! Usually it seems like Trains just turns down the contrast or something to make everything look fuzzy, and it doesn't look real. Yours definitely looks good!

Thank you Forester:)
Decided to give a foggy shot a try since we have all of the other time periods.
Overall it didn't turn out too bad, but in a way, could still be improved ;)

Cheers

You are right that the sky does help with the environment, can't disagree with that.

-----------------

More foggy shots
SYsm6Wn.jpg

f8uZWUB.jpg

gHaccHE.jpg

Cheers

I used to hate the Fog aspect in Trainz, until I learned more about how to control Environment Settings.....:eek:

Now years later, I see how nice of touch, Fog Conditions can be when you truly understand, as well see the great looking foggy pictures just like in real life........Sometimes one does not realize the true gift one has.........:sleep:

I agree with the Sky helping with Fog seen........It sure does make it blend in looking very surreal.........:wave:

Hi Casey, while I have not been ''Trainz'' active for a while, I often come to see this thread and I am alway amazed with your screenshot and the work and creativity behind them. Congratulations !
Jack, the shot with the grain elevator is great ! Thanks to other participant for your shots !
Cheers!
Rail4Pete

P.S. I might come back, but actually I'm modelling scale trucks models and playing with American Truck Simulator.

PIc below:Uncle and Aunt Carbonneau waiting The early train for Quebec city July 1959
Z6t5aC0.jpg

Last edited:
Back