What CSX needs.

Simon0325

Cass Climax #9 lover
CSX needs some heritage things. Like heritage units and a Steam program.
Here is an idea of the railroads that should have a heritage unit. http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/about-csx/our-evolution-and-history/
Also about a steam program. I have some ideas of some locomotives that could be in it.
*C&O #1604 2-6-6-6 (articulated locomotive)
*C&O #490 4-6-4 (Streamlined)
*CNJ #592 4-4-2 (Camelback)
*RDG #2101 4-8-4 (Reading T-1)
*C&O #614 4-8-4 (J-3a)
I do not know the condition of the locomotives.

CSX needs these things!

CSX needs some heritage things. Like heritage units and a Steam program.
Here is an idea of the railroads that should have a heritage unit. http://www.csx.com/index.cfm/about-csx/our-evolution-and-history/
Also about a steam program. I have some ideas of some locomotives that could be in it.
*C&O #1604 2-6-6-6 (articulated locomotive)
*C&O #490 4-6-4 (Streamlined)
*CNJ #592 4-4-2 (Camelback)
*RDG #2101 4-8-4 (Reading T-1)
*C&O #614 4-8-4 (J-3a)
I do not know the condition of the locomotives.

CSX needs these things!

*C&O #1604 2-6-6-6 (articulated locomotive) Both 1604 and 1601 are in iffy shape. I know 1601 has been indors for years, but I belive that it cant be removed from the building.

*CNJ #592 4-4-2 (Camelback) I read some place that the Camelbacks where ruled too unsafe and deemed unsafe. And the Interstate Commerce Commission put an end to their constriction. I think this also meant that restoring them is a big issue.

If any thing CSX could save money and get a steam program with PMR1225 since the Michigan Steam Railroading Institute has bee running here for years now. (In the middle of a rebuild right now.) As for the heritage units like what NS and UP has done, the idea is nice, but doubtful it will happen.

Remember, railroads do things because it makes money. If it dose not make money, then its less likely that it will happen. UP and NS have steam programs because they can make money off of it. As it stand, adding a steam program for CSX would cost money, not make money.

All these things are great for railfans ... but CSX needs more profit from freight revenue ... they would make no money from railfans, nor passenger train rides, that would just tie up the RR line.

and lets not forget that they don't allow steam engines to run on their rails now days, although that would have been nice to see don't get me wrong,but,if that did happen, that would interrupt the freight train traffic in both directions.

Last edited:
That is one thing that I question why don't they transport steam locomotives on their rails. I remember somewhere on another forum that they didn't let WM #734 on their tracks for a ferry move.

CSX is not that kind of Railroad. My best friend retired after 40yrs with them and he says CSX is the hind end of railroading. They run there equipment to the very end and them some. Very little improvement programs. Locos that should have been put down years ago. He took me up to a CSX yard in Buffalo NY and showed me the Locos they used to switch and they were rolling Smokey Junk piles. They are not NS, BNSF, UP not by a long shot>>> Northeast Freight railroading seems not to have the big money the others have.

In my opinion CSX is not a railroad at all. Kinda reminds me of an oppression. There's a guy on railroadfan.com who defends CSX, saying that they're better than NS because while CSX is "working", NS is running "steam kettles" and "Hurritage Units".

In my opinion CSX is not a railroad at all. Kinda reminds me of an oppression. There's a guy on railroadfan.com who defends CSX, saying that they're better than NS because while CSX is "working", NS is running "steam kettles" and "Hurritage Units".
Steam kettles?:( Why I wish I could give that guy a peace of mind.

Back