Earthquakes and Trainz

Another Earthquake for NZ last night, this time just a 4.7 located 7km deep and 30km inland of Dunedin. Bit of a wakeup call for Dunedinites though, they don't experience many down that way - in fact the strongest felt there since 1974. Dunedin Railway will be checking the Middlemarch line for any rock falls and track movement Im sure to be on the safe side, the mainline south wont be effected.

today we hit by a strong earth quake of 8.7 magnitude but thanks god not a major disaster happened like it happened back in 2005 when 7.6 earthquake hits and almost 40000 people dies

Hello from France,

Yesterday 14 of november afternoon , a testing TGV on the eastern high speed line Under construction (previous public opening in the first months of 2016) has crashed during a test circulation, leave the track at about 350 km/h and fly over a little canal ... 10 railmen died, and others wounded among the 49 who where aboard. The cause of this first Deadly crash of a TGV since its beginin in 1981 is not yet known..

Some pictures from the french press:

Sad days in France, Marc

you think it might be someone or some group related to the other things that happened recently? it seems very suspicious to me...

Apologize if it is not the correct thread for this kind of information, but I did not find a place for that....

If sombody have a better idea , he could move to the right place this post... Even if it could be considered as an earthquake in the world of TGV....

Marc

Rumble rumble, Christchurch belted by another 5.7 magnitude quake yesterday afternoon. Numerous (over 100 so far) aftershocks since. Just when we all thought things were getting back to normal!!

I slept through an earthquake ... I was pissed I missed it

Our house was raided by 5 cops, who were looking for my GF's son ... they burst in and lifted up my bed covers, and said: "It's not him" ... I slept right on through that one too :hehe:

I was working on my T:ANE route this morning at 12:02am NZ Time when a shallow 7.5 magnitude quake struck the South Island a couple of hundred kilometres south of Wellington.
Before I could shut the machine down in an orderly manner, we lost power here and I was plunged into a blackout.
11 and a half hours later, the power has only just been restored in my street.
In the meantime, we've had hundreds of aftershocks, some over 6 (Richter), and a tsunami that threatened most of the low lying areas on the East coast of both main islands.
What is scary is that this is NOT 'The Big One' we're still expecting from two or more of our major fault lines in this area of the country. This is just the warm-up act...

The South Island Main Trunk Railway Line is severely affected around Kaikoura and between Picton and Christchurch.
Could take them months to clear the lines from the heavy slips along the spectacular coastline track.

Two known deaths attributable to this quake so far.
Fortunately, we learned to engineer our buildings here for such events ever since the devastating Magnitude 8.2 West Wairarapa Earthquake in 1855 (the epicentre of which was about 11km from my present home.)

Sincerely hope my fellow Trainzers here in New Zealand are all safe and ok.
We do live in the Shaky-Isles after all...

I live in northern suburbs of Wellington about 15km from CBD.
The unusual nature of this quake was the length. 40 secs initially then another 100secs.
While it was a rough ride, fortunately no damage to home. Didn't lose power.
No trains, buses or ferries running.
Reinforces the importance of being prepared. I have bottles of water, tinned and dried foods enough for a week without replenishment.
Also camping gear and warm clothing ready at hand in case one has to evacuate. I'm 75m altitude here so tsunami not a problem other than destroying the infrastructure. I'm supposed to go into Wellington Regional Hospital for a checkup tomorrow after smashing my hip a month ago. Have to wait for all buildings, bridges, roads, and rail are inspected before we will be allowed into Wellington CBD.

Hi Ian,

hope all goes well and its not only political earthquaks these days as we can see here.
Most people forget we live on a huge ball of fire and anything can happen anywhere, mother nature is telling us nothing it happens and than we know it.
Predictions are for the scientists the next wave or quake can have a much higher magnitude , impact and nothing well prepared helps than unfortunately.
Stay put my friend and all NZ trainzers and citizens!!

best

Roy

Last edited:
This is so true ... we are sitting on a 5 mile thick thin crust of molten lava, with a nuclear fusion fueled center, that never cools down ... I remember wayback days, an earthquake in Turkey that had 30,000+ fatalities ... If the Yellowstone caldron blew, all life on Earth would extinguish in 1 years time, with reduced sunlight and no photosynthesis worldwide, famine

Last edited:
Latest on these New Zealand quakes and their affects on the South Island Main Trunk:

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/natio...ation'-nz-rocked-by-7-point-5-magnitude-quake

Some useful 'factoids' relating to this latest quake sequence:

http://info.geonet.org.nz/display/home/2016/11/14/M7.5+Kaikoura+Earthquake%3A+Latest+updates

International scientific viewpoints:

http://sciblogs.co.nz/news/2016/11/14/nz-earthquake-scientists-react/

The aftershock sequence is creeping north, closer to Wellington, where we've not long had some severe shocks located in Cook Strait...
Keen to get some sleep tonight if circumstances allow.

Hope they don't delay your check-up tomorrow, Ian. The newly-built Wellington hospital extensions appear to have held up well to these latest quakes.

Last edited:
I opted out of going into Wellington and just as well. Severe weather saw 140kph winds, and 100mm rain (our usual months) fall in half a day. What with aftershocks occurring every 2-3 secs (1500+ so far) and glass falling from high rise buildings it was a no brainer to re-schedule for later in the month.

As it happens it was a very wise move as the whole of Wellington Region took on a watery look and with slips and landslides occurring on every road we ended up with people who had ventured into Wellington unable to get out. As emergency crews got some single lane open on some routes gridlock occurred and this was still the situation at 8pm last night.

For HO model Railroad fans this following real image (1:1 scale) is eerily reminiscent of my layout as I dismantle it. This is coastal rail and road near epicentre and has completely cutoff the town of Kaikoura in the South Island. Massive landslides have swept the track across the road and into the sea.

1479191028262.jpg

Last edited:
The quake's magnitude has been revised upwards again to a confirmed 7.8 - bringing it into alignment with the magnitude originally reported by the USGS.
http://earthquake.usgs.gov/
It affected multiple fault lines, some already known, others 'discovered'. Some amazing photos are trickling in of the impact on road, rail and terrain.
It will affect the hitherto thriving tourism industry there for months, if not years.
In some areas, there was horizontal movement of >10m accompanied by vertical uplift of between 2 to 8m. Peak ground acceleration exceeded 1.3g (but that measurement was taken miles from the epicentre.)
In many of the worst affected areas, State Highway 1 and the South Island Main Trunk Line will need to be realigned elsewhere, rather than reinstated in their original locations.

Last edited:
Back