Chicago 1940's WIP pics

It definitely wasn't the most complex interlocking, in Chicago or otherwise, but I'd wager it was a shoo-in for the busiest. In the late 1930's, roughly 170 passenger and commuter trains of the PRR, IC, ATSF, C&WI, C&EI, Erie, GTW, Wabash, Alton, and Monon passed through every day. On top of that, the C&WI pulled passenger cars for itself, and the Erie, Wabash, GTW, and Monon back through, headed for their coach yards at 31st/39th st. (C&EI), 39th/47th st. (Wabash), and 47th/55th st. (Erie, C&WI, GTW, and Monon). On top of that, all roads ran local freights to access their freight houses near the terminals, and the IC ran freight trains through the interlocking to access their lakefront freight yards. In addition to that, all roads also ran transfer runs to and from their respective freight yards through the interlocking as well, and the C&WI maintained a freight yard at 15th street, which is directly behind the interlocking. Now toss in extras, both freight and passenger, as well as potential second sections of regular passenger trains, light engine movements on many of those roads to access their engine facilities (engines and passenger cars were shuttled separately to the facilities, even though the engine facilities and coach yards were usually located right next to each other), and the process of the C&WI backing trains of its own, the C&EI, Erie, GTW, Wabash, and Monon into the terminal pre-departure from the coach yard, also doubling those light engine moves in the process.

Add it all up, and you get a constant stream of traffic through the interlocking from a variety of roads, of a variety of types, at all hours of the day. Quite frankly, it's absolutely insane, and that's not even considering the traffic increases during WWII!

Last edited:
Here it's my Chicago version, i still working in many places. You can see north Chicago railroads not created. Map pic generated with VistaMare TrainzMap.
Click open in new window. Pic is large
i4_Map CR2017 07 29 large1.JPG

Am sorry for my english

Last edited:
Wow, that looks insane!

Right now my plan is to take the RI, NYC, and PRR to Englewood, and the C&WI/all affiliated roads to their Englewood station as well. Beyond that, not entirely sure.

In other news, Dearborn Station is done in terms of trackwork:
249821bbf2c69f197707fd7ff7f7fb6d.jpg

Yes, Jackson is the commissioner of the model. The one commissioned never completed it fully and Jackson was refunded but got to keep what had been done so far. You will quickly find that not everything in this community is publicly available.

-Ben

Yes, Jackson is the commissioner of the model. The one commissioned never completed it fully and Jackson was refunded but got to keep what had been done so far. You will quickly find that not everything in this community is publicly available.

-Ben
I've known this for a while Ben :)

And it never hurts to ask a simple question.

In other news...

My computer's main drive is malfunctioning, so I have been and will continue to be out of commission for a bit until I can find the time to pop down to Best Buy and get it fixed. On the bright side, it might provide a good opportunity to upgrade some of the specs a bit.

Not to worry though, everything has been backed up to a SSD, so there's no risk of losing any progress that I've made so far. It's more like a minor hiccup.

Last edited:
I still intend to use TS12 for all of my content creation, but they jury's out on if I'll switch over to T:ANE for general running and messing about.

Back