Chicago 1940's WIP pics

Oh ok its a great project your doin anyways are you focusing on just the passenger lines of the day?
I was thinking east is the IC electric and the CSSSB runs that to the original IC station....
anyways for some better map studying for the era I use this site http://www.historicaerials.com/ you need to download silverlight also to view the maps all free on the USA MAP click on a green area and it will zoom into arial and topo maps
good luck with the project lookin fwd to more screen shots...
Dave =)

p.s. I just posted a few new progress pics in the SHOW OFF YOUR ROUTES/screenshots post...

Last edited:
Le Bump.

46b5a4f5a7a4eab02e87f152f6dfd64e.jpg

I mainly wanted somewhere to run all of the stuff that Dan, the gang, and I are cranking out, since most of it seems to have operated in/out of Chicago in some shape or form. It's also both an interesting challenge (since Chicago's stations were an absolute maze of tracks and intersecting diamonds, connections, and freight houses), as well as an interesting comparison to how my route building approach and style has changed in four years.

It's also going to be a nice location to showcase Dan's latest project (you guys will see it soon enough ;)). All in all, it's good fun, and I have no idea how far I'll take it.

Yeah, the NKP ran their four daily trains (two in each direction) in and out of LaSalle: the overnight Nickel Plate Limited (train numbers 5 and 6), and the daytime New Yorker/Westerner (8 and 7, respectively). The RI and NYC jointly owned the station, but NKP was a tenant, and ran over the NYC from Englewood into Chicago. The Nickel Plate Limiteds were renamed the City of Chicago (westbound) and the City of Cleveland (eastbound) in 1954. In 1963, the New Yorker and Westerner were discontinued, however the City of Chicago and City of Cleveland survived for another year, until the N&W (which acquired the NKP in 1964) canceled all remaining NKP passenger services.

NPLPALSS.jpg
nkp-railroad-pa-1-the-westerner-train-photo-print-2.jpg

Also, if anyone has a less blurry map of the RI's yards around LaSalle, I would be really grateful if someone could shoot me a link. The one I'm working off of is fine, but it's a bit low resolution, and it's a bit tough to work off of.

Last edited:
My track arrangement there is slightly off. The inside rail of the inside curve should actually bisect that diamond instead of only hitting the outer-most crossing. As crazy as it seems, that was actually prototypical for that crossing. 21st Street was by far the busiest junction in Chicago, and one of the busiest and most complex of its time. In the era I'm doing it, the interlocking was actually simplified, as up until the early 1930's there were spur tracks to various industries that crossed the mainlines as well.

02-08-21st1948JosephScherschel.jpg
02-10-21st_ed_rickert_photo.jpg

Back