Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Chicago 1940's WIP pics

When did EJE ever have trains trackage in chicago?

Quote Originally Posted by jacksonbarno View Post
    Also, I can get accurate enough by going off of track maps and videos from the era, so I don't need a map for where the tracks are, after all, watching the videos of the era and scouring over old pictures is fun!
    You appear to be in a very early stage of your project. You have laid a few tracks on barren land, placed a bridge, ran a train and assigned a name to it: "Chicago 1940s".

Whatever you are planning for your project, what goals you set for yourself and how to achieve them, the most important thing is that you enjoy what you are doing. That's what Trainz is all about: Having fun with it.

The other side is that the moment you publish screenshots and say "Chicago 1940s", it will raise a few expectations in the reader's mind. Chicago, railroad hub of the nation. Tracks everywhere, yards around every second corner, simply overwhelming. But also a challenge of a lifetime to recreate as a simulation. As a route builder you have to be realistic. You may decide to concentrate on recreating the atmosphere of a bygone railroad era, based on selected motifs from the pictures you look at or the old films you watch. That's great and that's something you certainly will be able to accomplish.

Going beyond that, however, trying to build an entire track network, the utterly complicated mesh of railroads in the Windy City, you won't get very far without a reliable and efficient method of surveying.

You will probably know that very few route projects will ever see a state of completion and many don't even make it beyond the initial stage. Keep that in mind before deciding you don't need maps.

Quote Originally Posted by mtldrm38 View Post
    When did EJE ever have trains trackage in chicago?
    They railroad basically looked liked a C interchanging with many railroads. Their big yard was Kirk yard in Gary,Indiana.
    Trainz NS Railz Co-owner and Trainz Divide route builder

Ya the EJE was the outer outer belt I was wondering if he was refering to the CSSSB in his post downtown?
    The era is pretty awesome in Chicago and 10TIMES more trackage and yards etc... than today for sure....
    Ive been doin Chicago route (era swaping 60s-present) for a few years now all track laid etc then back tracking for all the updated stuff has set me back but frame rates still upper 30 s 40 s for my old comp...and yet again alot of configuring signals ATLS xings etc and lot more scenery..............at least a thousand industry sidings alone...

Quote Originally Posted by geophil View Post
    You appear to be in a very early stage of your project. You have laid a few tracks on barren land, placed a bridge, ran a train and assigned a name to it: "Chicago 1940s".

Whatever you are planning for your project, what goals you set for yourself and how to achieve them, the most important thing is that you enjoy what you are doing. That's what Trainz is all about: Having fun with it.

The other side is that the moment you publish screenshots and say "Chicago 1940s", it will raise a few expectations in the reader's mind. Chicago, railroad hub of the nation. Tracks everywhere, yards around every second corner, simply overwhelming. But also a challenge of a lifetime to recreate as a simulation. As a route builder you have to be realistic. You may decide to concentrate on recreating the atmosphere of a bygone railroad era, based on selected motifs from the pictures you look at or the old films you watch. That's great and that's something you certainly will be able to accomplish.

Going beyond that, however, trying to build an entire track network, the utterly complicated mesh of railroads in the Windy City, you won't get very far without a reliable and efficient method of surveying.

You will probably know that very few route projects will ever see a state of completion and many don't even make it beyond the initial stage. Keep that in mind before deciding you don't need maps.
    I use maps, but I don't import them into the game. I have some areas textured, and the terrain is on its way. Using maps of the era in a flatland such as Chicago is not as hard as it seems. In addition, much of the grading of the old ROWs is still in place, so using modern day terrain maps is a viable option for routes leading out of Chicago, which will make up the bulk of the route. I would have used maps in the first place, but I do not have the money to buy the software, and I am already too far in laying track and putting in scenery to restart. Maybe in the future I will restart with a map when I ge far enough that I decide releasing the route in its finished state without the Ft. Wayne division or be Panhandle. Until then, I will plunge ahead with what I have so far.

Mtldrm38, I am not sure what the interchange is that is south of the 21st crossing, but I was told that it was EJ&E. That is what I was referring to.

My thoughts do not reflect the entire attitude of TF.

Oh ok its a great project your doin anyways are you focusing on just the passenger lines of the day?
    I was thinking east is the IC electric and the CSSSB runs that to the original IC station....
    anyways for some better map studying for the era I use this site http://www.historicaerials.com/ you need to download silverlight also to view the maps all free on the USA MAP click on a green area and it will zoom into arial and topo maps
    good luck with the project lookin fwd to more screen shots...
    Dave =)

p.s. I just posted a few new progress pics in the SHOW OFF YOUR ROUTES/screenshots post...
    Last edited by mtldrm38; July 12th, 2013 at 06:47 PM.

I am doing the passenger lines, but after I am done I will restart on a DEM and do the PRR to Ft. Wayne.

Le Bump.

Interesting trackwork JB.

What is, if i may ask, the intended outcome of this project, and what do you plan on running through this route?
    cheers Riley

I mainly wanted somewhere to run all of the stuff that Dan, the gang, and I are cranking out, since most of it seems to have operated in/out of Chicago in some shape or form. It's also both an interesting challenge (since Chicago's stations were an absolute maze of tracks and intersecting diamonds, connections, and freight houses), as well as an interesting comparison to how my route building approach and style has changed in four years.

It's also going to be a nice location to showcase Dan's latest project (you guys will see it soon enough ). All in all, it's good fun, and I have no idea how far I'll take it.

Blog Entries

Yesssssssss! Someone is actually making a route near my home city!!!

(Especially in my favorite era)
    Cheers, Brandon

Interesting take...
    Last edited by applegathc; September 22nd, 2017 at 07:52 PM.
    T.E.H. - Honorary Surveyor Extraordinaire

New route ft. csxt17 - Lewiston & Pamona

Blog Entries

Wasn't aware NKP used La Salle but ok.

OH my!! I love those NKP(Nickel Plate Limited) Chicago to Buffalo....... I waiting for these release....

NKP

Yeah, the NKP ran their four daily trains (two in each direction) in and out of LaSalle: the overnight Nickel Plate Limited (train numbers 5 and 6), and the daytime New Yorker/Westerner (8 and 7, respectively). The RI and NYC jointly owned the station, but NKP was a tenant, and ran over the NYC from Englewood into Chicago. The Nickel Plate Limiteds were renamed the City of Chicago (westbound) and the City of Cleveland (eastbound) in 1954. In 1963, the New Yorker and Westerner were discontinued, however the City of Chicago and City of Cleveland survived for another year, until the N&W (which acquired the NKP in 1964) canceled all remaining NKP passenger services.

Also, if anyone has a less blurry map of the RI's yards around LaSalle, I would be really grateful if someone could shoot me a link. The one I'm working off of is fine, but it's a bit low resolution, and it's a bit tough to work off of.
    Last edited by jacksonbarno; September 22nd, 2017 at 08:27 PM.