Denver Colorado.

paulkay21

Trainz Veteran
Hi US Trainzers,

I am hoping to spend a little time in Denver at the end of August. Can anyone recommend anything Train related which is worth seeing whilst I am there (without too much traveling).

Many thanks

Paul

Well, in Denver itself there is the Platte Valley Trolley (although I recommend checking their website as it doesn't operate all the time, but I believe that it is right now) and the Forney Museum of Transportation. They have a range of various transportation vehicles with some good train pieces (one of their main railroad pieces is UP Big Boy 4005).

About a half hour from Denver is the Colorado Railroad Museum in Golden. If you can only go to one place, I would recommend that it would be here. It is the largest railroad museum in the state. They have around 100 pieces of rolling stock ranging from small narrow gauge cars to big standard gauge steam locos. Definitely a good place to spend a few hours. It has a collection that is good representation of Colorado's railroads. If you happen to go on a Saturday, that is the day they run trains, and it is typically one of the Rio Grande Southern Galloping Geese, but they do occasionally fire up one of their steam locomotives.

Model/Toy Train wise, you could stop in Caboose Hobbies (in Denver of course), the self-proclamed "largest train store in the US". They do have a very large selection of model railway products, I can say that.

About 45 minutes or so is Colorado Springs, and something to do their is visit the Pikes Peak Historical Street Railway Foundation's museum (I myself recently discovered this museum, and I have lived in Colorado for 15 years.) They have a small collection, but it has quite a few trolleys as well as some regular railroad rolling stock. Another is the Manitou & Pikes Peak cog railway in near-by Manitou Springs. It is a classic cog railway that winds its way up to the summit of Pikes Peak.

About an hour or so from Denver (depending on where you are) is Fort Collins and there they have the Fort Collins Municpal Railway, which is a short trolley ride through town. Another attraction is BNSF's mainline which runs down the middle of Mason Street.

These are the only things that I can think of that are within an hour's drive from Denver, most other railway attractions (such as the Rio Grande Scenic, Cumbres & Toltec, Durango & Silverton, and the Leadville, Colorado & Southern) are at least a two hours drive.

Hopefully this helps!:wave: (I would recommend all of these, but I'm sure that there isn't time to visit all, so if I had to pick one, it would be the Colorado Railroad Museum.)

Last edited:
To add to the above list, you can't forget the Georgetown Loop in Silver Plume (as Klinger will attest.) There's also a C&S 2-8-0 on display in Idaho Springs, which is neat to see. Personally, I would recommend skipping Caboose Hobbies unless you are looking to buy brass, as their plastic aisles contain more product announcements than actual products. Some of the staff isn't particularly friendly, either.

Last edited:
You just have to travel to go ride the Durango & Silverton, as well as the Cumbres & Toltec RR.

One 60 some mile ride lasts all day on the C&T, and a ride back the next day on another train would be a 2 day event.

While your that close ... travel to the Grand Canyon RR

And then ... On to Tehachapi Loop ... Kedie Wye ... Williams Loop ... and the BC Spiral Loops Tunnels !

Last edited:
Thank You

Thanks guys,That lot should keep me amused. I've already been to the Grand Canyon Railroad and time will be quite restricted but I'll look that lot up on the Internet and start planning.Thanks again,Paul

You must stay longer !

I'm not going to work today !
What do you mean you're not going ?
I'm just not gonna go !
If you don't go to work, how are you going to pay the bills ?
I don't like paying bills that much, anyway !

Last edited:
If you want to see lots of power and real trains theres also the massive curves just outside Golden, about a 20min drive if i remember correctly.

8240549288_22e95a8b4e_z.jpg

Back