Making google sketchup trains into trainz.

Falken442

What is the process of making a locomotive in Google Sketchup and then making it work within Trainz as a working, moving locomotive? Because someone I know makes some really nice looking diesels in Google Sketchup but they are fictional so I thought why not try and get some of them into Trainz?

-Eno

Hi Eno,

You can do this, but it will be a multi-step process.

1) Create your model in Sketch-up.

2) Save the model (export) it as a 3ds or .obj format.

3) Import into a program such as Blender for final fixing.

4) Export it out of Blender into the proper Trainz format.

The reason for using Blender is to optimize the model. With Blender you will be able to combine meshes and surfaces otherwise you'll have a gazillion polygons - even more than you would normally have if the model was just done in Blender.

John

Hi Eno,

You can do this, but it will be a multi-step process.

1) Create your model in Sketch-up.

2) Save the model (export) it as a 3ds or .obj format.

3) Import into a program such as Blender for final fixing.

4) Export it out of Blender into the proper Trainz format.

The reason for using Blender is to optimize the model. With Blender you will be able to combine meshes and surfaces otherwise you'll have a gazillion polygons - even more than you would normally have if the model was just done in Blender.

John

Thank you for the information. I am not experienced wth any of these processes and as far as I know the software used to export the model into a trainz mesh is for Windows not mac so I am wondering, are you able to do it for me? if it is to much of a job I understand.

-Eno

Hi Eno,

I'm not familiar with Mac stuff so much anymore, but there are packages available to convert from one 3d format to another such as DAZ Studio. The problem will be to make these into the .IM format which I'm not sure of anything available for that. The alternative would be to setup a VM using Parallels or Virtual Box, installing Windows in there, and doing any modeling in that environment.

John

And that is unfortunate in many instances. The buildings in Sketchup aren't optimized for a gaming performance. This is why many low-quality, high-poly assets are from Sketchup

Looks like a lot of work! Cheers! :)

Yes, either Blender or Gmax are a lot of work, as you put it, but well worth the effort. This is generally known as a steep learning curve so I suggest you start with something simple, a squareish house for instance, to get used to the processes involved in content creation.

Good luck,

Angela

Back