TOPSIG iPortaling V3

JIb228

Multiplayer Guru
So I've made quite a few changes to how things are run. With that said, I felt it was time for a new topic on the matter of iPortlaing. Yes this is, for the time being, a single player mode. But we must coordinate and move freight the same way as a MP route and session might. Also, if some one wanted to make a MP compatible route with iPortals on it, they could very easily integrate it with this system.

The problem with the old modular was, what to do if player B and D where off line and you happen to be player C. To fix this I decided on a grid type system. We each will have 4 iPortals, North, South, East, and West. This way each player will be connected to at 4 other players. This means if a player is missing during a session, we can still route a train around him with out changing portal ID's.

The basic idea is that where your route ends at the iPortal some one else's route begins. Much like a modular layout, but with more modules.

Rules:
-iPortal IDs are your railroads reporting marks, followed by an N, S, E, or W. This means that if your iPortal is on the West end of your railroad and you are BNSF your portal ID would be BNSFW, and BNSFE for your East portal. (You can have an In and out portal. Just point your out portal at the next player, but give it no ID. And set your in portal to have an ID but don't point it at any one.)

-Railroads. Each player may represent one and only one railroad. And each railroad my only be represented by one player. Meaning that if player A claims BNSF, no one else can be BNSF. But Burlington Northern and Santa Fe are still up for grabs. Any railroad from any period may be used, so long as its standard gauge.

-Equipment. Every player is allowed 6 locomotives, and 15 cars of their choosing. All this must be on the DLS. I might allow 3rd party locomotives, but ask first.

-Taking or adding cars to through trains. You may add as many cars as you want to a train. And you may remove as many cars as you want from a train. But if you do remove all cars for a train, you must add cars back to that train and send it on its way.

-Sending trains. Trains should have a minimum of 20 cars. There is no limit to how long a train can be. But please note that not every one can handle a 200 car train. So try to keep the car counts between 20 and 50.

-iPortaling times. Of course doing it this way means that we will have to be online to send trains to each other. Session's are Saturdays starting when ever and lasting until we call it quits. (Sessions should last between 2 and 4 hours. But each player should save their session and pick up where they left off the next meeting.) But you can run your route any time before this time.

-Very important! Do not skip players. If a player miss's to many sessions, they will be removed form the loop. and you can start to skip them.

-The Route. Is a grid spanning out words from a central hub layout.

-Production Industries. This is one thing that has bugged me for a little bit so I'm going to make a rule for it. But it seams some products are produced by more people then they are consumed by. For example, Coal is produced by 3 people, and consumed by one. Also, of those 3 people Producing coal, 2 of them consume it. This means that from on operations stand point, I need to ship out coal from them, right back to them. So here is how this rule shale work. If you produce some thing, and consume it, only list what is higher priority. Example, If you produce coal in a coal mine, and burn it it your power plant. But you coal mine is unable to keep up with the power plant, request more coal. If your coal mine produces more coal then your power plant, then list that you Produce it and ship off the excess coal.
-More on Production Industries, only one of each per 4 players in the grid. This means that if there are 4 people in the grid, only one of them can produce coal. If there are 5 people in the grid, then there may be 2 people producing coal. If there are 7 people in the grid, then only 2 should produce coal.

-Absences/Dropping out. If you are no longer active, or miss too many sessions (4), you will be dropped at the end of a season. Also, if you wish to no longer participate, please say so and you will be dropped at the end of the season.

Links
These are some of the important links you'll need. First up is the route "map." This shows you where each player is locate in relation to each other. This also lists portal ID's. Note that the route dose not wrap. Meaning that if you are in a grid and do not have some one to the north of you, you do not send trains north. That portal, and grid are open for another player to join. Find that HERE.

The next link is to the Consume/Produce document. This lists how many cars of what load you need. So if you need 10 car loads of coal, put in the grid "10" for coal. If you dont need a product, put an "X" in its grid. Or if you produce a produce, put a "P" in its grid. Only put a P or a car request number if you produce and consume a product. As of right now, we have over 95 commodities that we are shipping back and fourth. I highly recommend not adding any more to that list. If your building a route for this, please only use commodities that are on this list. That list, can be found HERE.

Thi slink is for train orders. These are spaciffic trains with sets of rules and instructions. HERE

Last link is to the location of the consist files for content. (Big thanks to Ken for taking this over for me!) You'll need to download and install these files, then make sure to download all the content that goes with them. Ken will also make one for you when you send him your locomotives and rolling stock. Find it HERE.

iPortaling With a MP Route!

If you make an MP (multiplayer) and what to iPortal with us you can. (Last I tested iPortals do work in MP routs/sessions.) To do this you must have all of the content from all players in the main iPortal group. You must also share the content that you wish to use with every one else.

An MP route would still be bound by some of the same rules that other players have to follow. With the exception of content. You can us up too 10 locomotives and 25 cars.

Joining
To join is easy. Just look to the route map to see what railroads are available. Then pick a railroad you'd like to use as well as a route. Though route dose not matter. Add some iPortals. Send your content to Ken. Download all the required content. Fill out the Consume/Produce document. And your in. Once all of that is done and your ready, I'll assign you a location on the map. Once that's done your in. If a grid says "Grid 3" or any other number, its an open grid and you can pick it rather then me giving you a random one.

Sessions and Season's
As said above, session's will be officially held every Sunday from when ever to when ever. (Prime time, when every one should be on, is between 6pm est and 10pm est) But at any time you may send a train to any other player that you are connected to if you both are out. Even out side of normal sessions. Seasons on the other hand are a new concept. Seasons last 2 months. At the end of the season is when you may change your content or railroad that you represent. Also at the end of the season the map my be rearranged. Moving players about to make things more interesting.

First season starts JULY 6TH!

Last edited:
New sessions start next week. But I might push that back a week if people need more time to get things ready.

One thing I also want to point out to people thinking of joining. If a grid says "Grid 3" or any other number, its an open grid and you can pick it rahter then me giving you a random one.

Last edited:
iPortals where originally built in to TRS06 as a way to do single player with other people. They have been revamped a bit and made to work with TRS12 and can be found on the DLS. I like to think of the iPortal as a way to play alone, with other people. But its basically a way for me to send you a train from one route to another.

Lets look at my CSX route I am building. It has an auto Plant that produces cars and needs auto parts. I have no where to send those cars after I load them, and I have no where to get auto parts. The solution is an iPortal connection to another player. Once I load up some auto racks I can send them to, lets say GN1996 who can then unload them. Then you might have a factory that produces auto parts. You could load up box cars of those and ship them off to me. And with my system here, we are building a huge rail network, much like the prototype. This way we can ship products from player to player, and we can simulate a much larger railroad then what we have.

So Six different types of locos and 15 types of cars, or 15 of the same car and 6 of the same loco....I am confuzzled, but I may join. Depends on the homework over summer :p

6 different locomotives, and 15 different cars. But you can have any number of the same car. F0r example, if you load general goods into a 50 Conrail Box car, you can have 50 of that same box car. Same with locomotives. If you have a CR SD40-2 and they have auto numbers you could place down 10 of that one as long as its the same asset. This is why I recommend any thing with auto numbering.

I never used iPortal befor so I wouldn't know how to set it up in a route. My 2nd Question is can you use any train and cars with any route you wish as long as its on DLS or done it matter? I'm just trying to find out how it works.

Setting it up is not that hard. You'll have a window that says "Portal ID:" "Send to User ID:" "Destination Portal ID:" What you'll do is put your portals ID in the box that says "Portal ID:" so it looks like this: "Portal ID: CNW" Then in the "Send to User ID:" box you'll put who its going too. So it could look like "Send to User ID: Jib228" And "Destination Portal ID" should look like "Destination Portal: CSXE"

With those settings your portal would be set to send trains to me. Though you would set it according to the route map document.

As for trains, you pick one railroad to represent, so for this example youd pick CN. Then you'd find locomotives lettered for CN on the DLS. And any rolling stock that you feel appropriate for your route. As for the route its self, you can use any layout you like. But I suggest using one that you know well.

Just to add to I-portal setting up make sure you have 3 to 4 boards of track coming from receiving (in) I-portals.
And testing today I-portals will receive trains without you being on at the time it was sent. I received two trains
from Jamesfaa that he sent me two weeks ago.(new session or saved session)
Check for trains should be set at a time.(1 min to 99) This is to let you know that a train is waiting, and don't show up
without you knowing. This happen to me today and the train would have when thru my route and out the other I-portal
hadn't been for a train switching on the main line.

Ok, so if your still in let me know and let me know which road you want to represent. Now is the perfect time to change up railroads if you like. I know i have a few people all ready in the map, but I want to double check that every one is still on board.

You have any good routes that have import/export industries? CSX Saginaw, Conrail Lincoln, and CN Holly don't seem to have any...or am I missing something on those routes?

You have any good routes that have import/export industries? CSX Saginaw, Conrail Lincoln, and CN Holly don't seem to have any...or am I missing something on those routes?

Saginaw dose, if you have mine. I've been using my Saginaw sub for this.

Holly had(s) a few. There is the TTX plant in Clarkson. But that's mostly a repair facility. South of Pontiac in the Ferndale area there are more industries on the holly sub, but that whole portion of the line is poorly modeled on the one that was made for Trainz. Lincoln Secondary would be a good one, but I doubt you'd be able to put the required 4 portals on it.

One route that I did think about using at a point in time was North American Grain Short Line. With the right rolling stock, it could represent Great Lakes Central. I know there are a few GLC locomotives on the DLS, and even some TSBY grain hoppers on there too. Right there would be an interesting little route to do.

Another good one, if it worked, would be PH&D Railroad Modern. But it has a strange bug that screws with the ground.

You might hav eto configure the industries your self though with these routes. You can also add industries to routes if you want.

Saginaw dose, if you have mine. I've been using my Saginaw sub for this.

Holly had(s) a few. There is the TTX plant in Clarkson. But that's mostly a repair facility. South of Pontiac in the Ferndale area there are more industries on the holly sub, but that whole portion of the line is poorly modeled on the one that was made for Trainz. Lincoln Secondary would be a good one, but I doubt you'd be able to put the required 4 portals on it.

One route that I did think about using at a point in time was North American Grain Short Line. With the right rolling stock, it could represent Great Lakes Central. I know there are a few GLC locomotives on the DLS, and even some TSBY grain hoppers on there too. Right there would be an interesting little route to do.

Another good one, if it worked, would be PH&D Railroad Modern. But it has a strange bug that screws with the ground.

You might hav eto configure the industries your self though with these routes. You can also add industries to routes if you want.

I connected the CSX Sag and the Lincoln, so I can use the Sag's Iportals as two of them, I just need to reconfig the portal IDs. Thanks for the info, I'll take another look

Back