Computer Not Responding

Roy3b3

Hi guys, I purchased an Intel Core gaming i7 64Bit CPU with 1.00TB memory and 6.00GB RAM (950 @ 3.07GHz) + AMD Radeon Sapphire HD7950 Dual X Video card primarily to run my TS12, TS10, TS2009, TRS2004 programs. I constantly update the drivers on my system to ensure smooth and fast running. I should be happy BUT like most 'train fanatics' I've downloaded a number of additional layouts from the Download Station over the past couple of years. I should know this but I don't. Each time I open any of these programs now, the screen freezes. It now takes minutes instead of seconds to load but also displays a message "Computer not responding". If I wait long enough the screen may clear- If it doesn't I've got to switch off and re-start. However when editing in Surveyor, the same situation occurs,... screen freezes,... waiting for it to clear to save,.. then repeating the process again & again. In Driver mode, there is no real problem - I can set it, sit back and enjoy the ride. I've got a lot of patience but it gets frustrating at times. I've thought I may have too much in 'Assets' - Does anyone have any ideas?

Roy3b3

You have more than enough computing power. From my experience with Trs10 and 12(49922), most frrezes and pauses are caused by missing or broken assets/dependencies. Have you checked yours?

Each time I open any of these programs now, the screen freezes. It now takes minutes instead of seconds to load but also displays a message "Computer not responding".

Roy3b3

Is this the exact message?

It's not clear from your descriptino whether this problem has always occurred with this machine, or only started recently. If it's recent, you should try to think back to when the problem first appeared and see if you can figure what changed at that time. The problem seems like it might be associated with a network or internet connection, but it could be a change you made in Trainz, or a change in the OS, or a change in some other software installed on the PC.

Thanks Tom, good point - I'll check missing dependencies and see what happens. I did think it could be because I had downloaded so much material. Cheers.

Hi Bob, No, I don't think it is the computer because it was brand new 12 months ago and I've kept the drivers updated regularly. I never had the problem to begin with and it only seems to have occurred since downloading layouts from the Download Station. But if a particular layout does not appeal to me, then I'll delete it. I've recently installed the Trainz Patches to Build #58414 but the same problem of 'freezing' still occurs. I've even had the Video card checked to see whether it had been over-clocking and that seems okay. My internet connection is unlimited broadband access so I have no problems in that regard. Maybe there are other factors that I have not yet considered. Thanks.

Computer not Responding

Hi Guys,
Here's a quick update on my computer freezing-up. I had always run my Display "Options" on 'Open GL',... so I changed over to 'Direct X' instead and my problem was solved. Running in Driver mode was much smoother too. I guess it all depends on the brand of Video Card installed (I'd upgraded mine about 6 months ago) and apply a bit of trial & error to get things right. Thanks for your help guys. Happy Trainzing!

Sorry I did not think of that also. I have been using Direct X for so long now, that I almost forgot OpenGL still existed. I am also using an AMD video card and very satisfied with its performance.

Strange, this. I have 2 machines, one with AMD and one with NVidia. My experience is the opposite - the NVidia runs better with DirectX and the AMD runs better with OpenGL. If I leave them like that, they run fine, change them and lags and stutters reappear, even on SSD's, and the graphics rendering looks a little peculiar.

Go figure, seems like every individual configuration has a different effect, and the only solution is to "suck it and see".

Regards,

Ken

Back