Twin Video card setup?

railroy19

Can someone tell me if you want to run two video cards for better graphics. Do they have to be exactly the same?
I have right now an Nvidea GTX 650 in my computer. I want to upgrade to a new computer and would like to use this graphic card in it.
Would like to know if I can run this with a better video card to save buying two cards in the new computer.

Thanks,
Bob

Depends on the game, some games will use SLI or Crossfire, others do not and could make FPS worse. Trainz being one of them that doesn't. However if you play another game that uses physx heavily, for example Mafia II, you could use an older Nvidia card paired with the 650 that would strictly be for running physx code through, which takes the burden off the primary GPU and the CPU, which will increase fps by 2-10 pending on the exact scene etc.

I have no answer to your question. I do, however have a question for you regarding your GTX 650 card. I am just about to order an MSI GTX 650 1GB card from Amazon. I am upgrading from a GT 610. What are your current system specs, and how well is your GTX 650 performing? I am running TS12 on my computer and getting pretty good performance with the GT610. I am hoping the GTX 650 will be a big step up.

Thanks.

CCowan
My GTX 650 runs trainz fine I get very good FPS, I have a DELL Xps 435 with 16 megs ram my Cpu is not up to date it's about 2.7 whatever.
I would say the GTX 650 runs great it is an upgrade to the original video card that was AMD.
I don't think you can go wrong with N Videa.
And Thanks to all of you people for the input. I see having two video cards are not going to improve my train sims, so I will skip doing that.
Saved money here because of all of you. Thanks so much.
Bob

Glad that I asked the question about dual graphics cards. Did not know Trainz would not run any better with two cards.
I just thought that because everyone talks about two graphics cards on the internet that it would run trainz faster.
I'm showing my ignorence of computers.
I also found out that overclocking is not really a good idea for what I need in a computer.
So I may get more RAM instead of two video cards. It will boost my memory from 16 megs to 32 megs.
I'm looking at a Black Pearl model from Cyberpower computers. This may be my last computer on my bucket list:)

I am sure you meant to say 16GB to 32GB. I wouldn't bother, at this point in time, making it go to 32GB. 16GB is far more than enough. Unless, you anticipate actually using that much. I couldn't imagine how. :confused:

The concept of multi-GPU may seem brilliant but technically it's a challenge and uneconomical. The additional heat and power consumption compared to a single GPU is significantly higher. Then the cards need to work together which is rarely perfect. So compared to a higher end GPU that cost as much as two lower end GPUs you may have issues. For the sake of anyone wondering, you can't SLI two GTX 650s, Nvidia removed the feature to lower costs and is only available on the 650 TI and upwards.

i know the 780 is out of the ballpark for alot of people's budgets, it was actually not even in mine, but i am able to max trainz and railworks out without stutter, matched with a good ssd, your best bet would be like a gtx 680 or 670 as they are being phased out, the gtx 770 is around the 400.00 price mark as a new gtx 680. personally if you can afford it a 770 would be a great way to go. of course alot of people will beg to difer on my choices.i guess i would be considered myself more of an enthusiast with my computers though, than most people.

Last edited:
i know the 780 is out of the ballpark for alot of people's budgets, it was actually not even in mine, but i am able to max trainz and railworks out without stutter, matched with a good ssd, your best bet would be like a gtx 680 or 670 as they are being phased out, the gtx 770 is around the 400.00 price mark as a new gtx 680. personally if you can afford it a 770 would be a great way to go. of course alot of people will beg to difer on my choices.i guess i would be considered myself more of an enthusiast with my computers though, than most people.

Funny I can run those same games maxed out with a GTX 660TI Superclocked and a nice SSD :p But hey good for you on getting the 770 bet it is a beast.

Back