Ocemy TS12 LOD Splines - Fantastic

No more billboard lighting issues

Billboard lighting issue I have just discovered isn't SP1, it's the settings used in the modeller, I've been messing with hedges on and off for a year or two now messed with various entries in the texture.txt and never really solved the lighting issue, until ocemy's hedge came along which doesn't have the problem. Optimistically I tried mine in SP1 HF3, still had the problem and although not as bad the problem still exists.
So examining ocemys hedge.
Looking at the texture.txt he's just using a standard texture.txt without any other entries other than the alpha, this indicated to me that it's something in the mesh settings when exporting. So revisited my efforts and started experimenting, the answer is to drop the diffuse colour to black or close to, that gets rid of the lighting issue. so Ambient = white, Diffuse=black and Specular=black seems to work for me. probably some slight adjustments may work ok as this was a quick and dirty test. This might help someone hopefully?
By the way this is using Gmax with the max4 exporter, haven't tried 3ds yet but I'm assuming it may be similar, hedges were made a while back so used what mesh I had I had to hand to mess with.
Same settings also work on billboard type bushes, next to try is embankment splines which I'm assuming it should also fix.

Hedge experiment screen shot here, now looks exactly the same from any angle or direction. No Lod yet, need to work on that and ocemy's method would seem to be the way to go. However as it is without Lod it's not causing me any problems.

Good Morning Paulsw2
We have made improvements to splines in TS12 SP1, and as these splines were created and tested in SP1, they have only been released for this version. They have not been tested in earlier versions, and we can't ensure that they will function correctly in earlier versions.

Regards

Thanks Zec. Good to see we've got new, higher spline standards. We've certainly been waiting for a new hedge that really 'works' in TS12.

I was going to wait for TS14 to come out, but now I wonder if I should be considering SP1?....:eek:

Paul

Why is it when I try to get this off the DLS CMP highlights it in red, spits out a whole bunch of missing dependencies, then just bloody sits there with status "Idle"?

Why is it when I try to get this off the DLS CMP highlights it in red, spits out a whole bunch of missing dependencies, then just bloody sits there with status "Idle"?

DLS problem still, or do you not have the service pack?

John

You need TS12 plus SP1 at least, to let 3.7 builds be downloaded from the DLS.

Greetings from dusk Amsterdam,

Jan

Ah, must be it. I am not running SP1. I apologize for the tone of the previous message. It was frustrating, to say the least, in the light of various other CMP annoyances that have taken place today.

Would it be possible to provide an automatic filter such that build 3.7 assets not be included in CMP DLS listings, for SP0 users? Because I was able to download Ocemy's route just fine, then most of the dependencies got stuck and I had to go back and look for whatever was already downloaded, one by one, and remove those.

Would it be possible to provide an automatic filter such that build 3.7 assets not be included in CMP DLS listings, for SP0 users? Because I was able to download Ocemy's route just fine, then most of the dependencies got stuck and I had to go back and look for whatever was already downloaded, one by one, and remove those.

How did you download the files - by ftp? I ask because in CM, although the items are listed, when I R-click 'Download' the items appear in Download Helper but immediately turn red, indicating that it is not available for build 3.6.

Would it be possible to provide an automatic filter such that build 3.7 assets not be included in CMP DLS listings, for SP0 users?
Here you go, in the search window of the CMP add the entries 'AND NOT' and 'Minimum build number' 3.7
Now you'll see everything up to and including build number 3.6

Greetings from rainy Amsterdam,

Jan

Do splines have to be created from scratch to use the new methods and improved performance? Can I not clone a spline and modify it to update it?

Do splines have to be created from scratch to use the new methods and improved performance? Can I not clone a spline and modify it to update it?

In theory, you could make a 'working' spline with the original mesh, and a bit of work. But, you won't see any real performance advantage as there will be no LOD. To implement LOD, you'll need to make new meshes (in theory, you could make the LOD meshes based on the original, but this is a lot of work for older meshes), and possibly new textures to improve the blending.

If you can obtain the source files, it'll make the work much easier... Or build new models based on the old models.

Regards

ALSO:
Location Download
Minimum build v:3.6
and not
Minimum build v 3.7

Gerry

Are these really a new format of mesh, or just using the normal mesh container LOD set up, as I don't have TS12 some body wanna post just he mesh container out of the config file please.

Cheers

Lots

No, not a new form of mesh but implements LOD Container. I am considering however unsure if I can attempt to make these and also implement SpeedTree Meshes to IM Format Splines.

Last edited:
The same basic format that was introduced in TS2009 (v2.9), but we've added various tweaks over the subsequent versions.

chris

Back