NSW Southlines Routes & Merge details.

PGibbons

Hope this helps.....

Main Southern Line Routes.
(from North to South)

Picton to Goulburn (pgibbons) - main NSW South Line.

Goulburn Crookwell Taralga revised (ntesdorf) - main South line through Goulburn and the branch line. 26/04/2013 version is at the correct elevation.

Joppa Jct to Binalong (pgibbons) main south Line – including Yass Town branch.

Boorowa branch (pgibbons) Main NSW southern line from Galong to Cunningar Silo including the Boorowa branch line.
OR – preferred route…
Galong to Boorowa revised (ntesdorf) - longer section of main South Line and Boorowa branch. Needs some work additional baseboards at Cunningar end to connect with…

Southlines Four (tomtre) - Main NSW southern line from Cunningar Silo in the north east to Cootamundra in the south. Including the Blayney branch line from Demondrille via Young to Maimuru.

Bethungra (pgibbons) - Main NSW southern line from Cootamundra to Bethungra – HOG Based topology not true to scale.

Junee 2006 (pgibbons) - Main NSW southern line from Bethungra to Junee

Wagga Wagga 2006 (pgibbons) - Main NSW southern line from Junee to Wagga.

Wagga to Henty (pgibbons) Main NSW southern line from Wagga to Henty

Henty to Albury (pgibbons) Main South Line.

Branch Lines.
Tumut 1 (pgibbons) - Tumut branch from Cootamundra to Gundagai – connects to Southlines Four at branch stub south of Coota’.
Tumut 2 (pgibbons) - Tumut branch from Gaundagai to Tumut.
Tumut 3 (pgibbons) - Kunama branch from Gilmore to Batlow – connects to Tumut 2 at Gilmore.

Monteagle (tomtre) Blayney branch from Maimuru to Bendick Murrell – connects to southlines Four at Maimuru.

WeddinNSW (Footplatephil) - Blayney branch from Bendick Murrell to Cowra including the Grenfell branch.

WeddinNSW V2 for trs2006 (Footplatephil) - updated version.

Hay Branch 1 (pgibbons) - Hay branch from Junee to Coolomon.
Hay Branch 2 (pgibbons) - Hay branch from Coolomon to Nerrandera
Hay Branch 3 to Leeton (pgibbons) - Hay branch from Nerrandera to Yanco, and Yanco to Leeton.
Leeton to Griffith (pgibbons) - Leeton to Griffith.

Tumbarumba 1 (pgibbons) - Tumbarumba branch from Wagga to Borambola.
Tumbarumba 2 (pgibbons) - Tumbarumba branch from Borambola to Tarcutta.
Tumbarumba 3 (pgibbons) - Tumbarumba branch from Tarcutta to Tumbarumba.

Kywong Branch (pgibbons) - Branch line from Uranquinty on the main southern line to Kywong.

Lines to the Lachlan 2009 (bearcat245) -Blayney to Cowra. (TRS2009 build) – connects to map at Cowra.

Rand Henty (ntesdorf) Henty on the main NSW southern line to Rand. (TRS2009/10 build) – connects to map at Henty.

Westby (ntesdorf) The Rock on the main NSW southern line to Westby
Cowra to Eugowra (ntesdorf) Branch line west from Cowra.

It’s a big job to merge all of these in one go, I suggest adding one route at a time and saving after each to a new name ( v1, v2 V3 etc). Also you will need to alter some of the routes before merging to line them up – deleting some baseboards/objects where loops or Portals have been placed at the route ends or to remove or add any sections not required for your map plan.

The tricky part is using the Trainz Merge function and moving the maps around to get them in the right place. The bigger the route gets the more moves are required to locate the merge point. Ive found its useful to add some red ground texture at the merge points of each map – clean this up as you progress. Ive never been able to get the World Origin object to work in any version of Trainz.

Due to some ‘bugs’ in the merge process its always a must to check each route after the merge to ensure its correct. Usually the errors are in the new section and if you repair as you go and save the good version its easier than trying to do the whole route in one go.
Known bugs Ive seen are…
-Track objects such as signals, abutments, speed signs etc being moved.
-Track being disconnected from some xings or station objects.
-Some Trs2006 built routes develop ‘holes’ along baseboard boundaries.

For anyone not familiar with the NSW rail network I recommend having a look at the following site which has maps and general description of all NSW lines which should aid you in merging the routes. (www.nswrail.net).

PG

is there a map for the rest of these to try and join i having bad luck joining southlines four to the joppa juction to bingalong map any help here or have i got the wrong southlines four ?

Before you can join Joppa Junction to Bingalong route to Southlines, you need to join the Boorowa branch to Southlines, then Joppa/Binbalong to that. By flowing Peters list above you can see how they are joined.

Keep posting if you have problems.

Craig
:):):)

Hope this helps.....Southlines Four (tomtre) - Main NSW southern line from Cunningar Silo in the north east to Cootamundra in the south. Including the Blayney branch line from Demondrille via Young to Maimuru.

PG

Good to see you are also still around PG :)

It helps alot PG, but i have a question that you maybe able to answer regarding Southlines4. I noticed on the import, the junctions aren't marked like the rest of the maps. Would you happen to know why? and would this have any affect on the operation of the fully merged maps?

Cheers

Aaron

I have just recently tried to download the full list as described here but not all are showing up on the DLS is there anywhere else i can get them?

Hullo everyone,
Just a quick note to say that I almost have an updated version of Southlines 2004 ready for the DLS. I have merged Southlines with Monteagle. There are tracks to the edges and portals and stuff.
For a number of reasons I was away from Trainz until last year and when I came back I realised the old map needed a bit of a polish. It is now a TS12 build, when I came back I just installed the game and service packs, reloaded my maps from discs I had kept and got into it as time permitted. I spent a lot of time searching these forums to learn how various rules and things work. It has been a fairly steep re-learning curve. The map is still a bit rough around the edges but is fairly close to as good as I am going to make it, short of going back and restarting with Tranzdem. Some of my early landscaping efforts make me cringe. Most of my recent fiddling has been minor tweaks (trackmarks and stuff) for a session I am trying to make work.
I have to say that when I uploaded the first Southlines in 2003 I had no idea that so many far more talented people would take the thing so far. I congratulate them all.
So I'd better get my finger out and finish it, eh?

Tom

Great to hear that Southlines is being rejuvenated. I loved the original, and will watch for the new release.
Your efforts ARE appreciated, not just by me, but by many

tks agn

Bob (CRO)

Thats awesome to hear Tomtre. I look forward to merging the newest version of southlines into all the other routes that are available that makes up the "Main South"

Cheers

Aaron

Tom
Good to see, guess I have a big merge session coming up.
Picton to Albury will be a bit impossible without the Southlines route.

PG

[h=2][/h] Hi everyone,

Over the years I have merged all the main line and branch line routes as listed above.

The only section I think is missing is Coot West to Temora/Stockinbingal and Griffith.

Jeff

Hi Everyone
I havn't tried merging yet, don't need distraction. I hope ts12 can merge with older maps, given what I have read about content issues.

Beckster,
Sorry to hijack your query.
I cant help with the location of stuff at DLS, some of these maps are old, perhaps there is a version search in Content manager. Or try the trainZ download Station from the Planet Auran button at the top of the page?
Maybe a more forum experienced person can help
Bye for now,
Tom

It is all available again though it takes a bit of juggling to get it together as some bits seem to overlap and then you need to go in and put switch machines in some areas and it is BIG but is interesting.

thanks for those that made the sections for your work. I can see it leading to lots of long term fun.

Becky

Hullo again
I am starting the process of uploading Southlines 2014 this weekend. I will make a new thread when (if?) it is approved. Merging with other peoples maps seems to work and I have made a little link map to join southlines with Galong to Boorowa by ntesdorf. It will be uploaded as well.
Has anyone tried to join NSW Illawarra & Southern Highlands by tracksupervisor <429700:100314> to Picton 2 Goulburn by PGibbons? The heights are almost right east of Moss Vale. I cant join Illawarra to the Southlines Suite, Trainz falls over, the map just gets too big I think but I have been able to join Illawarra to picton 2 goulburn and Goulburn,Taralga crookwell. I haven't done any train running yet, just a quick tryout of the mergeability of things.
I guess id better start uploading.
Bye for now,
Tom

Merging NSW Illawarra & Southern Highlands - some notes

Hi to all
This is just a note on my routes NSW Illawarra & Southern Highlands , and merging with Picton2Goulburn by pgibbons.
As a rule ver1 <kuid:429700:100243> should be easy to merge, as the heights & alignments are a near match to pgibbons route. All you then need to do is tidy up some splines and texture to make the terrain blend in. I have done this myself in the past, and it has worked, although running is a little bit slow. Seems the route is a bit large for my pc spec. but that's something I have to live with.
However, wrt ver2 <kuid:429700:100314>, the changes I made at the Moss Vale end threw the alignment out somewhat, and although I am able to merge the 2 routes, it was a little bit fiddly. Because the size was somewhat unmanageable, for my purposes, I cut Moss Vale out of Picton2Goulburn and pasted into NSW Illawarra & Highlands. So I now have a destination at the west end, but the main south line is only a few boards north & south of Moss vale with portals added for useful running.
If PGibbons would permit, I could post an update of <kuid:429700:100314> to the DLS. Merging with picton2goulburn then becomes easier, but you would have to delete the relevant common baseboards in the picton2goulburn route prior to the merge.

tracksupervisor

Just a note to say I have merged all of the aforesaid mentioned routes using TRS2010 on windows7 64Bit/16Gb RAM and have run up to 20 consissts concurrently with very good frame rates.
This is the entire Main South line from Picton to Albury, Crookwell branch, Boorowa branch, Tumut Branch, Tumbarumba branch, Westby Branch, Rand Branch, kywong branch, Hay Branch out to Griffith, and Demondrille to Cowra & Grenfel.
I think it is possible to do the merge without problems but I think its probably a good idea to close down Trainz after each merge so Windows releases memory. I have also has Trainz freeze during the merge but usually a close/reload solves the problem. I believe that at PC's & memory get better & faster it will be possible to merge all you want as long as the Trainz program itself can handle the load.l

Ive also merged my Sydney metro route with the above as a test - another 40Mb of route back to Sydnney Central - this also went well.
Sydney Metro may be released at some stage but will be very limited on scenery for obvious reasons.
PG

on how is it opossible to merge routes when the base borsd are all at differnt heights , this semms to be a problem and no fix on how to make boards at samelevels .. ??? can ya help with this or anyone on how to fix ???

Hi Krugar
The heights are different because these routes are models of the real line. The creators have made the track heights at the map ends where sections join very close so that the tracks join without severe gradient changes. You can just add a short piece when you join sections together and you have continuous line (in theory). On some sections you may have to move a portal aside or delete it. The choice is yours.
If you have a large height difference when you join 2 sections it could be that the sections are out of order. So if you should save each time you add a section, that way if it goes wrong you just go back one stage and wont have to start all over. I have not yet put the whole thing together, I have not added all the Riverina sections.
Good luck
Tom

I thought I would clarify how the updated Southlines 2014 now fits in to everything.
From the Sydney end,
Picton 2 Goulburn (pgibbons kuid68830:100201) joins at the south west end to the east end of

Goulburn Crookwell Taralga Revised (ntesdorf kuid2:224165:2212:2) joins at the south west end to the east end of

JoppaJct 2 Binalong (pgibbons kuid68830:100196) joins at the west end to the south east end of

GALONG to BOOROWA revised (ntesdorf kuid224165:2206). The south west end joins

Cunningar Gap ( kuid4801:100120) which meets the eastern end of Southlines 2014 (kuid2:4801:100087:1) Cunningar bridges the gap and height difference between Southlines and galong mentioned in the first post of this thread.

From the northern end of SL2014 you can join the southern end of
WeddinNSW (footplatephil kuid56603:100024) , the old Monteagle map is not necessary. The north east end of Weddin joins the southern end of
Lines to the Lachlan made by nswgr_46class. I am not giving the full kuid, there have been some changes made to this map without the authors permission, which is a pity.

At the very south west end of SL2014 (south of Cootamundra) is where
Bethungra (pgibbons kuid 68830:101041) joins on and this connects to the riverina lines outlined in the first post.
The Tumut lines made by pgibbons join just south east of Cootamundra.
I left unsceniced baseboards where other routes join southlines2014. They have portals and stuff as well as through tracks. You can delete those boards if you like.

Im afraid I don't have a map of all of this so I cant make it clearer.

Have fun

Tom

Merge failed

Tom has informed me that merging my route <kuid:479200:100374> NSW Illawarra & Southern Highlands - note it is not truely prototypical - to Picton 2 Goulburn (pgibbons kuid68830:100201) on the Illawarra line may cause the merge process to fall over & Trainz to stop, due to some errant splines.

Tom might care to elaborate to the Forum readers of the what & how to fix

Cheers
tracksupervisor

Hi All,

due to a failed hard drive I have had to re download this selection of routes again and have found that the following 2 are not on the DLS any ideas how i may find them?

Cunningar Gap ( kuid4801:100120) which meets the eastern end of Southlines 2014 (kuid2:4801:100087:1) Cunningar bridges the gap and height difference between Southlines and galong mentioned in the first post of this thread.

WeddinNSW (footplatephil kuid56603:100024) , the old Monteagle map is not necessary.

not sure why they dont show up or why the tumut branch has one section with no ground textures

Cheers

Becky

Back