ID This SP Diesel Locomotive?

SharkNose

Ignoring the bus plastered to the front, can anyone identify this locomotive? From page 159 of Robert C. Reed's "Train Wrecks" book, the picture was taken in 1963 near Chualar, California. The engine looks to be lettered number 5857 leading a Southern Pacific freight. It could be the perspective in the photograph, but this engine looks HUGE! I've spent an hour searching the web and cannot put a builder and type to this engine.

Thanks! :wave:

Andrew

:eek: Sheesh! I must have tried every combination of search terms but that one! So it's an RS11, eh? It's not pretty, but I think it's neat looking!

Thanks for the assist!

I saw them! :) I'll probably download the PRR one when I get home from work.

One thing I noticed is that most of the photos and models I've seen of the RS11 only have the one set of vertical headlights. The SP loco in the above photo has a double set of horizontal headlights. Must be an SP thing.

As an historical note, this accident at Chualar, which is on my Coast Line Route, BTW, was truly horrible http://www3.gendisasters.com/california/12136/chualar-ca-truck-train-collision-sep-1963. A driver of a make shift bus load of contract guest farm workers, braceros, were ground to bits when the driver moved his bus onto the tracks to cross. It remains the most lethal traffic accident in the history of California. I remember seeing the coverage on TV when I was 15 and being appalled.

Bernie

The engine in question (and the second one) are both Also RS11s. I have a HO scale Proto 1000 NH RS11 with Sound/DCC so I could recognize the profile of it right away.

Back