Steam locomotives...they live, they breathe....they listen!

Klinger

The Chicago CTA guy
So, I'm more just posting this as a funny story for everyone on how my Saturday went.

But first, an old saying. Steam machinery is the only machine ever built by man that is truly alive. The moan and groan, they breath and eat and drink. They also have personalities, some are kind and sweet, some just want to make your life miserable. I also learned on Saturday....they listen to what you say!

So this story starts on Friday, Shay 9's 2nd revenue day of the year. Due to mechanical trouble, we didn't get the run the engine until the previous monday, and then spent most of the week working on it finishing the last few things. So Friday rolls around and all of us are excited, not because steam is new to any of us, but this will mark the first all steam weekend at the Loop this year! After all the hours we had put into the old girl, we were happy to see her out and about again.

9 just turned 90 years old in April, Lima s/n 3199, April of 1923. A beast of a locomotive at 81 tons, the 2nd largest narrow gauge Shay ever built. though listed at 36,000 pounds of tractive effort, its actually somewhere closer to 41,000 pounds due to undersized wheels, making her the most powerful narrow gauge shay ever built (WSLCO 10 is technically larger, due to a different tender). Friday went great! My coworker and myself split the day in half, he took 2 trips down and back up, I took 2. both of us got a chance to fire and run, and get used to the old girl again!

9 has been a bit of a problem child since we got her. She was leased to us from Iowa, where she had spent the previous 40 years, as an operational locomotive. After taking the tubes out for the Form 4 of the boiler, we discovered the boiler had bad belly pitting. So from February of 2011 until July of 2012, the engine was in parts.

The engine ran most of last year just fine, with a leaky throttle (we tried to fix it every boiler wash last year), a rotten mudring, several broken staybolts, and just in general a bad attitude towards people, as we say a the loop....she demands blood....literally.

Last winter all those problems were addressed, the mudring was repaired, staybolts were replaced, and over the course of a month, the throttle was redesigned and rebuilt. On Friday, she ran great, fired great, steamed liked a champ. She wanted to fly up the hill...which is a problem because around 7 MPH she starts bouncing up and down because of the way the crankshaft is balanced.

So Saturday rolls around, 10 pounds of steam in the morning, enough to light off. We were ready to roll by about 9:10 in the morning, almost an hour before departure, got water, blew down the boiler, coupled in and waited. I had a student fireman with me for the first 3 trips, who had never fired the shay, but had fired our little 12 last year, so I coached him. Not myself, my student, or the superintendent who was running could help but compliment how great the engine was doing, how well she steamed, how well she ran, how well she was firing.

So 4th trip of the day rolls around, I trade off with my Superintendent because he wanted to fire for a few trips, and I wanted a few trips in the right hand seat. Downhill trip was as smooth as a shay gets...that is to say, bouncy. We get down to Devils Gate, run around the train, build some water, back under the bridge, and head up the hill. I managed to start under the bridge without slipping for a change (believe it or not, its fairly easy to slip a shay). The whole way up the hill I had to keep backing off, seems like she just wanted to fly...in some cases literally. As we crossed the high bridge I notices a guy with a tripod on the back of the first car, filming away. Grin from ear to ear.

So after about 30 minutes or so, we reached Silver Plume yard limits, as we crested the hill and leveled out, we still had 1/3 of a glass of water (or 3/4 of a glass on the grade of 3-4%), 200 pounds of pressure, everything was perfect. I started to notch down as we pulled in, and the last thing I remember was my Superintendent telling me which pile of rocks I was aiming for. I nodded that I understood, talking over the roar of a shay gets pointless after a while, then all of a sudden, and forgive the poor impersonation of the sounds, I hear "Tink.....BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG BANG". At that exact second, I was nothing forward on the Johnson bar, and I had just released the squeeze, and I felt the bar rattling badly. You could hear in the timing that one cylinder was fighting all the other ones.

Within about a second, I reached over, dumped the automatic into emergency, shut the throttle, opened the cylinder cocks, and set up the independent. I look over at Phil who has this surprised expression on his face before stating "Well, something broke"

After a second or two, we got the fire calmed down, I hopped out of the cab knowing exactly what happened because I had heard this sound before....and sure enough, an eccentric strap had lost its pin and beat itself against the frame of the locomotive....oddly enough, it was the same strap that broke last year when I was conductor and we got stuck at the bottom of the hill.

We knew we were dead, and it could not have happened in a worse spot. We were halfway through the lead from the diagonal track leading to the oil tower and the shop, and the main leading to the station, meaning there was no locomotive in a position to move use, we had to find a way to turn a 3 cylinder shay....into a 2 cylinder shay.

Needless to say...It took us about 45 minutes, plus unloading all passengers, and rocking the locomotive back and forth on the bar of the 2 good cylinders before we finally managed to get it to roll. One cylinder was fighting on half its stroke, which made it nearly impossible to move, we tried manually setting the bad valve but no luck. After we got moved past the switch, good old 1203 brought the dead carcass of the 9...once again, into the shop lead.

So steam has its lure, that fascinates all of use, the moving parts, the signs of life. But boy, it was listening to every word we said. It heard all the praise and thought the whole time "Oh I will show you"

The simple reason why is.....that engine is evil. pure and simple.

Hey, when you get 90 years old, and have these young whippersnappers, who you know may have just started to shave, fiddling away in your insides, you might get to be a bit cantankerous, too.

ns

Hi Klinger and thanks for sharing , I can relate to this delightful story, although not a driver or fireman , I did my time on steam as a steam fitter .
Weld those pins heads so they won't fall out again ! :D

Hey, when you get 90 years old, and have these young whippersnappers, who you know may have just started to shave, fiddling away in your insides, you might get to be a bit cantankerous, too.

ns

lol....why do I just imagine No. 9 sitting in between runs, with a briar pipe in her mouth, saying, "These young'uns, Thinking they're all hot and mighty, and that they can tame me....I'll show them who's in charge here!" Frankly though, wouldn't you think she'd like the positive attention? Someone forgot to take her medication :hehe:

And I bet, Mr. Klinger, someone is wishing they had old man C&S 9 back....or at least FEGUA 40, or that Colombian 2-8-2.....

Today we decided to address what we thought were about a dozen weeping crown staybolts. I went to hammer on one, and another 10 got worse!, by the time I was finished, I had 24 leaking, 14 of which I managed to properly seal, 10 more which require welding because the heads just don't have enough meat left to seal up, and they are soft and frail.

Looks like #9 really is a bit of a rough one to be around. Klinger, tell her from me that she might need to settle down a bit and give you guys a break from repairing her so often.

poor old engine...

over here in the UK on a railway i work on we have a certain west county class 4-6-2 that seems to break at every moment she gets she also has a fascination with getting stuck on hills and having to be rescued:D poor old 34007 i do wonder why she cant be like 31806 our little 2-6-0 which seems to scamper up and down the hills quite happly

Ok one time I was running a steam engine IN TRAINZ, and I was going about 50MPH and .5 percent uphill grade, and I wanted to slow down a bit, so I'm like "what happens if I put the cutoff into reverse, will that slow me down?", so I did it, and next thing I know I'm going 60 MPH BACKWARDS! Well, yeah, it slowed me down all right...

Back