Think a diseasel isn't real? Think again.........

I thought it looked funky with those hatches! What were they trying to do, semi-streamline it? I thought. Blasted Japanese make imitation cars, imitation humanoids, and now imitation steam locomotives? Sounds like a setup for a Sir Handel/George the Steamroller comment there!

Those are quite common nowadays - they're called 'steam outline locomotives' - a petrol or diesel loco in the shape of a steam loco. Usually they're used on small tourist or theme park railways where the emphasis is on reliability and ease of operation while still looking interesting for patrons.

There's a couple of simillar steam outline locos at work here in Western Australia on tourist lines at the moment, although I have to admit, that Japanese example's true nature is very well disguised - if it didn't have those vents on the 'boiler' I would have been completely fooled. :p

I must say, that if you didn't know any better, then you would think that it was a steam locomotive.

aaaand a part of me just died....that is quite, well, sickening is the right term I guess, for a steam breather like me. Sorry to be a downer, but that's just me I guess.

It is a setup for a stream of lame TTTE Puns, however....:hehe:

aaaand a part of me just died....that is quite, well, sickening is the right term I guess, for a steam breather like me. Sorry to be a downer, but that's just me I guess.
I agree, it seems wrong to me to disguise a diesel as a steamer.

this was posted also on facebook and it was from lolztrains it said" Turntable? oh please! sorry the real last words contained swears:hehe:

I think what's worse than disguising a diesel as a steam loco is what 'The Ginger Factory' (http://www.gingerfactory.com.au/) have done to their 2ft sugar cane locomotive.

They've taken out all the cab controls and made the boiler contain only compressed air. The thing is powered by a little wooden wagon that pushes the loco and pulls the train. So the loco is in effect only an item of rolling stock, not a locomotive. The compressed air in the boiler is used to blow the steam whistle.

The sad part is, before I entered the park, they had me fooled that there was a working steam locomotive inside. I was disappointed, to say the least.

There's a video of the train here: http://www.gingerfactory.com.au/park-information/ginger-train

Kieran.

Those are quite common nowadays - they're called 'steam outline locomotives' - a petrol or diesel loco in the shape of a steam loco. Usually they're used on small tourist or theme park railways where the emphasis is on reliability and ease of operation while still looking interesting for patrons.

There's a couple of simillar steam outline locos at work here in Western Australia on tourist lines at the moment, although I have to admit, that Japanese example's true nature is very well disguised - if it didn't have those vents on the 'boiler' I would have been completely fooled. :p

I almost thought it was a real steamer myself. One that didn't have much leaking steam, that is. Then I saw those vents and I was like "Oh crap.................its a friggin diseasel!!" Although if I'm going somewhere to see a steam engine at work, I don't really want to see something like this. *start rant about the diseasel in question* "Traitors!! How many times does someone have to tell you that you aren't supposed to put a diesel engine in a steam locomotive!" *continue randomly occurring rant about the complete craziness of this engine*

I agree there. Steam engines run on steam, not petrol. I'd rather hear Walschaerts-timed exhaust beats from a ATSF 2900 Class 4-8-4 than this........hypocrite of a steam engine. Well, as for the TTTE stuff, here's what I would have had George say about railways: "Roadways are no good, pull 'em up! Turn 'em into rails! Roadways are no good, pull 'em up! Turn 'em into rails!"

And you know what's worse? The USA Thomas The Tank Engine rides! It's basicly a disproporioned E2 fake caboose and some pullman coaches being hauled by a SD40-2! Personly I go there to be hauled around by a freight loco when I was very young. And what do I say about that loco? Too much tubing and what's with the German NG slyle buffer and that German Federal Ralways style hook and loop system? It looks like Japan is stealing stuff from Germany!

Last edited:
I have a 1960 Sunbeam Rapier ( made by Rootes ) and one day a frriend phoned me and said he has a Hillman I can have, I was so excited because the mechanical parts like the engine gearbox and diff etc are all interchangeable with my car, I hurried to his house and saw that the Hillman was still in good nick and I could not open the bonnet fast enough..and there sat a Peugeot motor ,gearbox and diff...it was a later model and Rootes had made changes....what a dissapointment...I feel the same about a steam engine with a diesel motor and parts.

If Japan makes a Diesel imitation loco. I guess I will not go there anymore. I hate their imitation luxury cars, that is if they even make it. And Magicmaker, your video does not help. I guess the plaque they put on it means Fabricated Locomotive. And that Chuffing sound is so low quality! Even you can hear the Diesel engine over it!

Last edited:

I agree, it seems wrong to me to disguise a diesel as a steamer.

If Japan makes a Diesel imitation loco. I guess I will not go there anymore. I hate their imitation luxury cars, that is if they even make it. And Magicmaker, your video does not help. I guess the plat they put on it means Fabricated Locomotive. And that Chuffing sound is so low quality! Even you can hear the Diesel engine over it!

You guys do realize that the alternative is NOT a real steam locomotive, it's a plain old box diesel right?

This is just a matter of showmanship, just like the aforementioned "Thomas" rides.

At worst somebody makes money. At best, maybe some kid gets hooked and as he or she matures so does their appreciation for the "real thing".

And to me just as bad is electrics and I think there is even old cable trams with diesel engines Tom

Back