Lake Prenstion and Mount Price Railroad (Large Pics)

JIb228

Multiplayer Guru
So one afternoon I got the itching to try some thing new. So I jumped out of an airplane.

But then I got to toying around with just making landscapes in Trainz and decided to try what the railroads did, and layout track based on the land around me. And that's what lead me to building the Lake Prenstion and Mount Price Railroad. After a few hours toying with it I decided to gear it for MP. And I made few bullet points I wanted to include.

1. More than one yard for running trains form yard to yard
2. Easy industry access, so new players can quickly get right in and know where things are at and go
3. Main line run, but nothing too long. Less then an hour run, more then 15 minuets.
4. Industrial switching.
5. Industry's in and around yards for locals, with yards spaced out. This way a local leaves the yard, come back, the a transfer runs form yard to yard.
6. Simi-prototypical track work. Nothing that looks like a toy train, but nothing that is based on a real location.
7. High chance of player interaction. (Players waiting at sidings, or helping each other in the yard.)

And out of all that, only #4 is not really meet. But I'm ok with this.

I also set out do do some thing a little different with LP&MP. Most of the MP routes are modern, or close to it. And all are standard gauge. LP&MP is a 24 inch gauge route, set in the old west. Its only about 10 miles long, and takes about 30 min at track speed to go form end to end. There are coal mines, lumber mills, general stores, oil wells, and a logging camp all served by rail. Two yards provide a little yard switching, and each town has a depot for a passenger train. The grades are steep, up to 4%. The landscape is rugged. And the trains are short.

So lets take a little ride on the route, and see whats going on on the LP&MP RR.

This first shot is an over view of the route. Its not that big. It loops around a few times, and twists and turns as it goes from desert, to frost in the mountains.

Jib228_20130529_0002-Copy_zpsd922cfb8.jpg

Next is the first yard in Lake Prenstion. We see our train on the left ready to depart.

Before leaving, we take a look at West Lake Prenstion, and the other depot.

Working our way up to Hillside, the grade is only 0.50% here.

Rolling though Hillside. No grade here, but an old passing siding and the lumber mill in the background.

3%-3.5% grade along here on the way to Summit.

The hard grade before Summit, 4%.

At Summit, wich is lower the the highest point on the railroad, but marks our decent into the valley below.

3% grade down into the valley, and the town of Mount Price.

Arriving at Mount Price Depot.

I built this route in about 4 days. I still have some tweaking to do, but should have it and its MP session out soon. Like this weekish.

Looks great. I am looking forward to running it. I also been looking for narrow guage locos and rolling stock as well as a place to run them on.

I'm reworking/laying some of the track, between other projects. So there will be a delay on when this route is released.

Very nice JIb... my first route was 30in. Are you using the Sandy River equipment? I may have to DL this one when your done and give it a try.

Back