Where did everybody go?

Most people weren't interested in the first place.

Paul

Id like to say you may be wrong there.

Back a few years ago there where at least 2 topics that went on and on about adding MP to TRS. Ideas where put out, ideas where shot down and it went on and on. For at least 20 pages in one of them. And at least once every few months a new topic on why MP should be added would be stared by some one new.

But this is not to say you are 100% wrong, I do think you are right in some regards. Most people have LOST interest, and for a number of reasons. Of which I'll point out. One of them is like Danny said,

My thoughts on MP is that the server is down so much that people don't want to start all over again after spending 2 or more hours doing something and have to do it again when the server comes back up.

This is true, its a big pain in the caboose. Lets look at MRL, though this could apply to UMR or any other of the large routes. MRL takes, at tracks speed's about 5-6 hours to get from the east end to the west end. Its about a 2 1/2 hour run from Livingston to Billings. If you where to make up a train in Livingston, which might take you an hour of switching to-do. Then run it to Billings, you've just spent 3-4 hours on a train. That's a huge chunk of time dedicated to one train. Now imagine that just as your pulling into Billings the server crash's. Now your 3-4 hours of hard work is gone. Now you have to rejoin and restart your train all over again. And this can be very discouraging for many.

The other thing I think that many people where disappointed in is how content is handled. Many though that if MP where added, they would be able to invite their friends into their routes and use what ever content they wanted. But seeing as that's not the case and every thing must be on the DLS, many have shied away.

And the rule that every thing must be built in or on the DLS is a double edged sword I think. On one had it means that if I make a route for MP, you dont have to go all over the web to site like RRMods, Jointed rail, VMD, TPR, to get the content. Its all in one easy to find place. But at the same time, Jointed Rail has some nice locomotives, in their freeware section, that I'd love to use but cant because they are not on the DLS.

Now there are a few things that could be done to improve the MP experience for all. Some are in N3V's hands, others are in our own hands.

One thing that N3V could do is make it so the session host could save a MP session and resume it latter. This way my 4 hours working a yard are not wasted when the servers go down. And this way, sessions could last much longer and be operated more prototypicaly. Example being, i could host a 4 hour long session once a week on MRL. At the end of the 4 hours I save the session. Then next week reload it and we all start off right where we left off. This would be the equivalent of running model trains and pulling the pug on the layout. When we plug it back in our trains are where we left them, and we just keep rolling.

The thing that we, the user's can do, is to provide top of the line quality content to the DLS. And that right there is a win win for every on. If some one where to make Jointed Rail quality locomotives and put them on the DLS, then MP sessions would have that high of quality locomotives in them. At least my sessions would. But even the non MP user's would get fantastic content.

Now I know for a fact that, at the time of writing this, I have no real skill in 3D modeling. So I try to contribute to the TRS MP community by making prototypical sessions, and high quality routes. For the time being my MRL route and sessions are on the back burner and I am focusing on two project routes. One of which is close to being announced and released. The other has been announced, but is no where near ready to be released.

Just my thoughts on this whole topic.

I have to agree with Rail, Colour, and Jib - MP is the reason many people have chosen Trainz over other programs, myself included.

In the old versions, I spent hours and hours on popular MP maps such as UMR, MRL, Port Ogden, A and SLT, and many, many others. It is great fun running with other trainzers!

However, the release of SP1, Hotfix 1 & Hotfix 2 has been an absolute disaster for N3V. Very poorly tested, very poorly implemented, and very poorly supported.

Almost every route has significant problems since the upgrades - and I mean significant! I have not been able to get A and SLT to run in MP because something is wrong with it, yet all the assets are fine and up to date according to Content Manager, and all items are on the DLS. Go figure...

I have only been able to join MP routes 3 times since the updates - every other time - and I've tried hundreds & hundreds of times on a number of different routes - I cannot join and/or cannot host a MP session. It's so frustrating that if there actually was a better option out there to use, I would have been gone a long time ago. However, since I am still hoping beyond hope that N3V will be able to fix all the errors, I keep on checking to see if a good fix comes.

I just wrote another post in the Hotfix 2 thread asking for some information. N3V is absolutely terrible at keeping us informed - it is so bad I just don't know what else to say that I haven't voiced in other posts earlier. It's absolutely unacceptable for any company to leave things "hanging" with so little info to keep their customers in the loop. I don't care what the size of the company is, it only takes a few moments every couple of days to write a 1 paragraph update on where things are at and have it come up automatically when you open the forums webpage. It's a disgrace to their customers that they can't even do that for us.

So, I continue to wait for a real fix, hoping it comes, as even I, a relatively new map remodeller, have spent hundreds and hundreds of hours on a project that doesn't work at this time, and as far as I am concerned, seems will never work properly again unless I move "backwards" and go back to the previous version.

I hope N3V pays some attention - all these type of thoughts seem to go largely ignored by the company.

So if anyone is wondering why the interest in the game is so low, all you have to do is read this and you have it in a nutshell.

Regards,
Razor01

I agree too. I downloaded one of my routes and i cant host it for the same reason(something not on DLS or built-in.
Chapture all missing dependenties,no errows,no faults did a EDB repair(2 hrs) shout down PC rebooted still can't start the session.
What else is one to do to get it working???? N3V
I guss do more fishing.

I get the same thing on a "clean" install of TS12 57898. I think what may have happened is, the game upon upgrading to SP1 downloaded all my DLC, and now I need to find a way to get rid of it.

The locally modified thing floors me. I locally modified nothing. I dont even know how to locally modify I downloaded it off dls. How is it locally modified? Locally modified would indicate I changed something. I dont know how to do that. But on routes I downloaded people say when they try to join they get locally modified and failed to revert. I DONT CARE I want to play the dang game. Another anoiying bug is when I actually get someone to join a game. It shifts focus from the locomotive I am driving to another one. This caused me to derail twice. I dunno I am cranky I got no sleep cuz of this heat but still (flails arms) fix it!!

The locally modified issue can also happen if an asset failed to download properly and had to be committed manually, or if it's installed from a CDP file downloaded using a web browser.

Shane

I truly miss being able to play multi player sessions. I don't really care for the built in Russian map. I loved the verouis user created maps. I am very saddened that MP is broken and only runs sporatic. Perhaps someone either content creator or NV3 will get it working and share the big secret

Back