US Freight train crash

The movie mentions UP and BNSF, yet the mangled cars show logos of CSX and NS.

So my question is:
Is it so normal for these companies to use material of others or is the news reader just blind?

Those auto racks are owned by TTX, although they bear name of other roads. TTX leases them out. I have never understood why they have other road names on them if they are owned by ttx. Here is a Santa Fe auto rack that belongs to ttx, hence the ttx logo on the frame and ttgx reporting number.
JC-auto-rack.jpg

Last edited:
The reason for different names is actually pretty simple.

The Flat cat is owned by TTX, the rack that the cars actually rides in is owned by the railroads whose reporting marks adorn it.

Is there any further info on how the two trains came into contact with one another? Someone's ass hanging out of a siding and on the mainline, or...?

The reason for different names is actually pretty simple.

The Flat cat is owned by TTX, the rack that the cars actually rides in is owned by the railroads whose reporting marks adorn it.

thanks for the info, that answers one question I've always had. But what about the fallen flags, I see conrail, southern pacific and other racks all the time, with no reporting numbers on the racks themselves just the ttx number. I've only seen road specific reporting numbers on NS, some CP and some CN racks.

regards,
jordan

the reporting mark would then be on the end areas, for instance in your photo it would be down below the Santa Fe logo somewhere.

the reporting mark would then be on the end areas, for instance in your photo it would be down below the Santa Fe logo somewhere.
Thanks norfolksouthern37, something to watch for next time a train goes by. The conrail racks I was referring to look similar to the one pictured below. Does the same apply to these, reporting mark on the end?
ttgx993239.jpg

Back