Switching - was this sort of thing done in real life?

Hi Todd,

Thank you for posting your video. This was awesome and very much what I remember the old B&M switcher doing way back.

That yard you show here is one of those places where I could hang around for hours watching the show!
John

Someone mentioned the converse process where the loco is ahead, uncouples and speeds up, then the switch is thrown after it passes and before the cars do (known as the "flying switch"). This is dangerous (think about throwing the switch under the loco or after the first car has begun to pass it) and is probably illegal most everywhere. But I recently read that it was not only permitted but *normal* at Grand Central, where passenger trains (loaded!) were routinely cut into the terminal tracks in this way and stopped by the conductor or brakemen.

In Trainz (V 2.9 SP2) I find that the new "consist" (the cars) doesn't respond to stop or brake commands without a loco, though you can issue them. Issuing such commands to a driverless consist also seems to crash the game more often than not. But if you judge the speed at release just right, it can be quite effective without; the principal danger is that, as you admire your work (the cars coasting to a stop just short of the buffer) you forget about the loco as it crashes into something else or derails (g).

I am very disappointed that you can't set/release the brakes on a cut of cars.

IIRC You CAN do that in Railworks.... (ahem... :eek:)

Someone mentioned the converse process where the loco is ahead, uncouples and speeds up, then the switch is thrown after it passes and before the cars do (known as the "flying switch"). This is dangerous (think about throwing the switch under the loco or after the first car has begun to pass it) and is probably illegal most everywhere. But I recently read that it was not only permitted but *normal* at Grand Central, where passenger trains (loaded!) were routinely cut into the terminal tracks in this way and stopped by the conductor or brakemen.

In Trainz (V 2.9 SP2) I find that the new "consist" (the cars) doesn't respond to stop or brake commands without a loco, though you can issue them. Issuing such commands to a driverless consist also seems to crash the game more often than not. But if you judge the speed at release just right, it can be quite effective without; the principal danger is that, as you admire your work (the cars coasting to a stop just short of the buffer) you forget about the loco as it crashes into something else or derails (g).

You can't select the consist and press the A-key to apply the brakes anymore?

That is a disappointment and should be reported as a bug because this used to work before and rightly so.

John

I'm not sure if this is what you guys are looking for, but if you right click the properties window on more "advanced" freight cards such as the JR ones, there is an option for handbrake on or off.

So what you are saying is that you kicked the empties then grabbed the loads? Yeah, it was prototypical. Now a days it is against FRA regulations from what I remember, but it is still done anyway.

Such as like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFEumxQoY6w

Its not against FRA regulations, it's up to the Railroad's individual rule book to decide if its prohibited or not. Each railroad has their own rules. For example, at the Loop, were not aloud to get on and off moving equipment, while on other railroads like UP, its common practice

Back