All Hail the Metric system !

cascaderailroad

How many Trainzers use the metric system ?

It is a real bad habit to break free from, the Imperial measurement system, of inchs, feet, miles ... etc ...

As if you measure a mile long track using the imperial system, it is (short) really off by @ 84 feet.

As when you measure out a metric trainz ruler that is 1609.34m long, (that is one mile) ... you will be suprised at just how flawed the Trainz Imperial ruler really is.

Use the metric system ... as all measurements in Trainz are in Metric units.

Yes ... Yes it is ... and I even reskined a animated flag, and put up a waving Planet Auran flag, on top of my Horseshoe Curve !
Click on the image:
Noobian loggers attempt to seceed from the Union, in opposition to the proposal for the nationwide use of the metric system.

Tony Hilliam, and Zec Murphy are hereby nominated for the US election in 2016
The opposition party is headed up by Ahhnold Schwartzenegger for President: http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/cc339/cascaderailroad/BabyArnold.jpg

Last edited:
I find Metric a lot better than imperial for two reasons:

1. It's what I've grown up with, being Australian.
2. It's logical. 12 inches to a foot? Not logical. 100 centimetres to a metre? Logical and easy to work out.

Kieran.

I find Metric a lot better than imperial for two reasons:

1. It's what I've grown up with, being Australian.
2. It's logical. 12 inches to a foot? Not logical. 100 centimetres to a metre? Logical and easy to work out.

Kieran.

That depends on what you were bought up with. For me I used imperial for the first 12/14 years of my life and then the governrment went all metric on us . Despite that I still prefer imperial - I dont know why because working in base 10 is a lot easier than base 12

How many Trainzers use the metric system ?
I do and so does most of the world.

Here is a map of countries officially not using the metric system:
metric-system.png

Why?

the-oatmeal-metric-system-copyright-Allan-Inman.png

Sometimes it is better to quote a well known trainzer:
Once you get used to the metric system you will find that it is easier to use than the Imperial system. Everything is 100 times greater or smaller than the the value next to it . Micrometre > Millimetre > Centimetre > Metre > Decimetre > Kilometre.

Last edited:
It depends on what you're measuring. Distance for example - metric is great, but for velocity, imperial is better (as miles per hour is imperial - 1 mile = 1.6 kilometres).

Shane

I do - mph is the most commonly used measurement when it comes to measuring speed, especially where trains and cars are concerned.

Shane

The map is irrelevant here. There are some measurements like speed that are mainly measured in imperial.

Shane

Metric is the official measurement in the UK. However the vast majority of folk (even those born in the metric age) use MPH. Speedometers in cars are in MPH with metric as a secondary speed. All our sign posts are in imperial and most of our labeling on packaging is in both imperial and metric. Milk for example is still sold by the pint with a metric equivalent in metric on the bottle. We are a funny old race and like it :)

First, let me state I don't want to start an Imperial-vs-Metric flamewar.

Though I was born and raised with the metric system, I'm quite familiar with the Imperial one (you can't be a Union Pacific railfan without knowing how long a 7000ft siding is :D).

I would like to know one thing about length/distance units. A mile equals to 5278 feet, or 1760 yards: what is the relationship between miles and sub-units?

Thanks in advance!

12 inches is 1 foot, 1 yard is 3 feet, 1 chain is 22 yards, 1 furlong is 10 chains, 8 furlongs is 1 mile, 1 league is 3 miles. Makes no sense and follows no pattern, of what I can see

Jamie

Hehe! This is a thread guaranteed to get some people excited (and in some cases, nostalgic and reminiscent!)
In NZ we metricated in the 70s whilst I was at college, so I still think in both Imperial and Metric systems, though mostly metric these days...
The metric system was always the language of science, however.
Funnily enough, I still prefer to measure the fuel consumption in my car using m.p.g. (rather than kilometres per litre) and like to measure tractive effort in pounds!
Over all, the metric system makes more logical sense to me, but I challenge you to convert an old saying like: "By the inch it's a cinch; By the yard it's too hard..." to metrics and still get it to rhyme! :)
Cheers,
Peter

The trouble in the UK was that Margaret Thatcher stopped the metrication process half way through when the schools were teaching it. Consequently here in the UK we have a half baked system where you have a mixture of units e.g. in one supermarket chain we buy milk in litres, in another in pints. Motor fuel is sold in litres but we measure consumption in miles per gallon (Imperial which is bigger than the US gallon). Just to name two examples. At least we only have two sets of units. When I started teaching Physics in 1960, to teach A level in electricity we needed three different sets of units!

John

Why was the changeover stopped. Was it because the dreaded French used the system? Seems the iron lady had 'feet' of clay and didn't want to budge an 'inch'.

Peter

The French usually shoot themselves in the 'foot' in these matters, without any help from us - this is why their language is starting to disappear, the standard metre is no longer a piece of stainless steel in a Paris museum and their brightest people are moving to London.

In technical spheres our adoption of metric is pretty much complete, and we do use it in a 'purer' way than most other European countries who still use non-SI derivative units like 'etti' (100grams) in Italy.

I think we just recognised that there was still some value in the traditional units, half a litre of Adnams doesn't have the same ring as a pint and would spoil some very bawdy songs. And what would be the point in spending many millions of pounds in changing road signs from miles (for which we all have a 'feel') to kilometres.

There is a difference between adopting a system for technical reasons, which is very sensible, and forcing that same system into a traditional context where precision is not necessary, which is just anal.

Seems the iron lady had 'feet' of clay and didn't want to budge an 'inch'.
She just didn't want to have to execute a one-radian turn.

Last edited:
Back