TS12 wireframe grid lines

Yes, we can play around with <kuid:407571:1003>, using the obsolete-table trick, many thanks for this hint.

Here is one with minimum footprint:
wiregrid.jpg

Still not sure about optimum settings for these attributes in texture.txt:
Code:
AlphaHint=masked
Anisotropy=1
MagFilter=linear
MinFilter=linear
MipFilter=none
Any suggestions?

Can someone explain how to go about changing the grid, using the obsolete table trick. Are the KUID's shown in the screenies for the various grids?

I have sent a replacement texture to Steamboateng for him to test and could make it public after approval. I cannot upload it to the DLS because it requires the original user ID. Otherwise, the obsolete-table trick would not work.

wiregridcm.png

Here is the config.txt file:
Code:
kuid                                    <kuid2:407571:1003:1>
kind                                    "groundtexture"

obsolete-table
{
  0                                     <kuid:407571:1003>
}
username                                "WireGrid thin"
trainz-build                            3.4
texture                                 "wiregrid128.texture"
normal-texture                          "normals.texture"
category-class                          "GL"

thumbnails
{
  {
    width                               256
    height                              256
    image                               "thumbnail.jpg"
  }
}
author                                  "geophil"
description                             "Substitute ground texture for wireframe view, to replace built-in WireGrid <kuid:407571:1003>.
Provides less obscuring of objects underneath the terrain surface. Uses thinner grid lines and no mipmapping."

kuid-table
{
}

and the texture.txt:
Code:
Primary=wiregrid128rgb.bmp
Alpha=wiregrid128a.bmp
Tile=st
AlphaHint=masked
Anisotropy=1
MagFilter=linear
MinFilter=linear
MipFilter=none
Compression=none

Usage:

wiregrid01.jpg

wiregrid02.jpg

wiregrid03.jpg

wiregrid04.jpg

Hang on, if we can do this, why can't N3V? It's such a simple fix for a pesky bug that's being going on since TS10 and obscures anything placed below the baseboard in wireframe view (UTM tiles, basemaps - everything). People have been talking about this problem on these forums for years so I'm frankly amazed that it seems to have come as a surprise to the N3V people that the gridlines are way too thick in wireframe view (and the 5m gridlines don't help). Changing the textures looks like an obvious bug fix and it ought to be rolled out officially without, once again, individual users having to take the game into their own hands in order to sort it out. Come on N3V, show some leadership! :p

Paul

Thank you, Roland.

I've been struggling to build a route that disappeared from the UK landscape in the 1960's by using Google and UTM tiles of old maps in the area where the stations used to be. It became a real struggle once the thick grid lines appeared. Your new wire grid texture has re-kindled my enthusiasm and has made life so much easier.

Thanks once again, and thanks are also due to those who brought this to Roland's attention. Cheers!

Last edited:
Tried it today and it's great - UTM tiles are back on!

The only thing is that you lose the 5m grid lines which is a slight loss if you're working with a 5m baseboard and you want to adjust using those gridlines, but I think a small price to pay to once again have a grid that is properly transparent in wireframe view.

Many thanks Roland! :)

Paul

Back