Six 60ft boxcars loaded.. 1793tons? Really?!

Davie_UCF

Here since 2001, Trainz!!
I like a challenging drive me.. Vehicle physics and cab mode.. I load up my trains to test my grades.. In one test I had 6 60ft SP boxcars behind two SP GP40s. It took some moving.

really.jpg

Have these cars been set up incorrectly or would this really be this heavy? I'm sure my coal trains aren't this heavy! Could it be the general goods commodity is something extremely heavy or the boxcars weight is wrong?

In the config the mass is 35380.
The boxcars are by Mchawkman and are flawless other than this :)

140 general goods seems a lot for 1 boxcar.

Didn't think to check out what a good amount of general goods is.. Should check the boxcars with Mojave I guess. Looks like that amount of commodity is the issue!

I don't know what the weight is expressed in, but the 60 foot SP boxcars are either 70 or 100 (short) ton capacity, plus about 30 short tons for the typical empty boxcar. The total weight of six 60 foot loaded box cars, then should be between 600 and 780 tons. This would be easily within the capability of a single GP40-2, except perhaps on an unprototypically steep grade.

ns

Basics of freight railcar weight and capacity

The nominal capacity of a typical, 4 axle railcar today is 110 tons

(formerly was 100 ton)

Maximum Gross Rail Load (GRL) of a 110 ton, 4 axle railcar is 286,000 lbs. (weight of car + contents or “lading”)

Nominal capacity = 220,000 lbs. or 110 tons

Often referred to as a “110 ton” car or a “286K” car

Maximum GRL = 286,000 lbs. for a 4 axle car

Typical car has two, 2 axle “trucks” (or “bogies”) supporting it

Weight per axle = 286,000/4 = 71,500 lbs.

Weight per wheel = 286,000/8 = 35,750 lbs.

Each wheel and the rail it rides on must be able to support 35,750 lbs.

Track system must be able to support and satisfactorily distribute these loads to
the subgrade/roadbed.

John

The queue on 60ft Boxcar SP - 222602,<kuid:593863:100009> allows 140 containers! Each container has a mass of 1.4 t so 140 would be 196 t The mass of the box is 35 t so loaded with 140 GenGds = 231 t. 6 boxes would be 1386 t. Auran's PRR 60'Boxcar,<kuid:-1:100087> only allows a queue of 11 General Goods.

Bob Weber

The queue on the 60 foot boxcar may allow 140 containers, but that would be 140 containers that weigh no more in aggregate than 1/2 ton each (if the car is a 70 ton car). if the containers of general goods weigh nearly three times that many, the car would be loaded with one third the number of containers. To determine the number of containers that can be loaded, divide the load limit (LD LMT) number on the side of the boxcar, by the weight (mass) of the containers to determine the maximum legal load.

It is possible, too, for the dimensions of the car to allow the loading of far more containers than the weight of the containers would permit. For example, I once visited a shipper of aluminum ingots who was using boxcars. The weight of each ingots was 15 tons, and the size was such they were loaded, three ingots in each end, over the trucks, and no ingots in the center by the doors. The ingots only required about 1/6 the volume of the box car. Loading the car by volume would have destroyed. the car.

I would note that the calculations John posted are correct, but probably do not apply to the cars in game; while there are likely today boxcars which are constructed to the 110 ton weight standard, that weight standard was not widely used in the era that cars were being purchased by SP (though there may have been a few). More likely, the 60 foot SP cars (if you look at them closely) have a 70 or 100 ton weight limit, and should not be loaded with more than that weight. In the real world, if the railroad found that the car was overloaded, if it had not departed the initial terminal, it would have been returned to the shipper to have the load adjusted. If found away from the original terminal, the portion of the load causing the overweight would have been removed from one car, loaded into a second, before forwarding. Bulk trains today--e.g. coal, sand, plastics, &c.--are typically loaded by weight very carefully by the shipper, as the revenue the shipper receives from the consignee is most likely weight based.

ns

Sorry to bring this back but I noticed something with other wagons. Some gondola's I have weren't loading to the full capability.. I noticed they have a special max weight tag in the config. This stops them from being overloaded.

Now I noticed the same tag in these boxcars config.. So even though the queue can be 140.. It doesn't appear it would let it fill this way at an industry. This is annoying for when loading in surveyor as you can't tell what the max weight is and I usually just max all my boxcars to load them.. as usually that is the max capacity.

I am trying to load the cars with automobile engines.. which in the config has a mass of 500. Now 500 what?
Bareing in mind that general goods has a mass of 1400! (IRC).

And these cars have this in the config

string-table
{
maxweight "71668"
}

What unit is this?

Back