Favorite Steam Locomotives residing or from your home state/ province/ whatever

njmetsfan

Anyone want to share their favorite locomotive that is from their home state/province/whatever you call your territory?

From the Great State of New Jersey, I give you Black River and Western 2-8-0 #60
Former Great Western Railroad of Colorado

My personal favorite is Great Northern Railway #2584. She is a mighty fine beast and would make for a darn fine asset in Trainz.

IMG_0496.JPG
MKT 311, the only surviving steamer from my beloved Missouri-Kansas-Texas RR Co. She's currently stuffed and mounted at Kirkwood, MO (home of Frisco 1522) but what I wouldn't give to see her gallop down the mainline again...

Former West Side Lumber Company Shay #10 now in Fish Camp, California
Heaviest narrow gauge Shay ever built
dscn0050xe.jpg

From Australia, WAGR V-class 2-8-2 1213 (I've heard it affectionately known as 'the Big V') - a member of the class of the largest non-articulated narrow gauge steam locomotives to run in Australia, and the last new steam locomotive class to run on the Western Australian government network. Built by Robert Stephenson and Hawthorns in 1955, she lasted in service up to the end of steam on the WAGR in 1971. Beauty in motion, she was restored to working order in 1992, although sadly she hasn't turned a wheel in steam for a few years now:
1024px-WAGR_V_class_locomotive_V1213.JPG

Last edited:
I'll nominate BR&W #60 along with New Hope and Ivyland #40 on the other side of the river. She's a Baldwin 2-8-0 built in 1925.

8702786783_3938c28495_z.jpg

Southern Pacific 4449 is the only surviving example of Southern Pacific Railroad's (SP) GS-4 class of steam locomotives. The GS-4 is a streamlined 4-8-4 (Northern) type steam locomotive. GS stands for "Golden State", a nickname for California (where the locomotive was operated in regular service), or "General Service." The locomotive was built by Lima Locomotive Works in Lima, Ohio, for SP in May 1941; it received the red-and-orange "Daylight" paint scheme for the passenger trains of the same name which it hauled for most of its service career. No. 4449 was retired from revenue service in 1956 and put into storage. In 1958 it was donated, by the railroad, to the City of Portland, who then put it on static display in Oaks Amusement Park, where it remained until 1974. It was restored to operation for use in the American Freedom Train, which toured the 48 contiguous United States for the American Bicentennial celebrations. Since then, 4449 has been operated in excursion service throughout the continental US; its operations are based at the Oregon Rail Heritage Center in Portland, where it is maintained by a group of dedicated volunteers called Friends of SP 4449. In 1983, a poll of Trains magazine readers chose the 4449 as the most popular locomotive in the nation.

Wow..that UP9000 is a mean looking steam locomotive.
4-12-2 ? I have been wondering whether there are - or were - any around, I have never seen one with six driving axles that I can recall.
Jan.

If you want to note some thing else of interest on UP9000, look just under the smoke box. See that round drum. That's a 3rd cylinder. The arms on the top of the valves over the main cylinders are the timing rods for the middle cylinder. And as for the wheel arrangement, there where bigger.....a 4-14-4 was once built. Then bigger still if you get into articulation.

If you want to note some thing else of interest on UP9000, look just under the smoke box. See that round drum. That's a 3rd cylinder. The arms on the top of the valves over the main cylinders are the timing rods for the middle cylinder. And as for the wheel arrangement, there where bigger.....a 4-14-4 was once built. Then bigger still if you get into articulation.
Cool !
I wonder how they negotiated the curves and there was probably plenty wear and tear involved ...I suppose they were used on selected regions only.
Has anybody created - or planning to - create a 4-12-2 or 4-14-2 for trainz ?

Mine is this engine:

WHJMcCombMS.jpg

There's a story behind this locomotive that I must share. It's a very fond memory for me. That beauty is located in McComb Mississippi. It didn't start out there.

The engine originated in Natchez Ms, and was located on a bluff above the river.

So to my memorable story:

Sometime in the 80's, I believe 83, my parents decided that we were going to do something fun for the 4th. That fun was heading down to Natchez to watch them set off fire works from the river. While there, I got to see this engine UP CLOSE. As in Up close, I mean I was climbing all over the thing. Clambored up on the pilot and sat there, wandered through the cab, and pretty much had a good bit of fun. It amazed me just how BIG the train was, and forever seemed to push into my mind that the Illinois Central was my favorite railroad.

It's still one of my favorites, with Southern being a close second.

I don't know if I said to I earlier, but mine is Flying Scotsman.

I've always wanted to ride on a train pulled by her. I never got the chance to so, BUT I did see her once, in 2004, while in the UK. At the time, she was under repair, but she was viewable in the workshops.

Can you guess where this one is right now ?

You have to tell me exactly where it is. (I will tell you after you guess).

Her sister locomotive is presently in another States musuem.

nd1495x.jpg

Cool !
I wonder how they negotiated the curves and there was probably plenty wear and tear involved ...I suppose they were used on selected regions only.
Has anybody created - or planning to - create a 4-12-2 or 4-14-2 for trainz ?

Both locomotives are 3 cylinder monsters. I believe lilb is making an SP class 4-10-2 and TheCowboy made a great payware 4-12-2 that is really worth the money.

Back