Getting rid of permissive signals??? Help!

MicroLynkx

Rio Grande & Pacific
Hello All!

I am sure that this question has been asked before, and, yes, I am asking anyway. I have a hard time researching.

I have been TS12 for over a year now. I am still a novice--learning every day I create. I have a frustration with yellow over green, or yellow over flashing green, signals. When I am driving it does not seem to be a problem. However, when AI is driving the consist slows down to limited track speed and seem to mess up scheduling and other trains on the route.

My route is highly based on the DRGW front range/tunnel district. At least that was the beginning....URGH! I have started over-well, I am on Ver 7.61, if that tells you anything. I have learned and honed my layout to a more realistic route. I have been a model railroader for over 30 years, but virtual railroading is more than enjoyable than any real modeling could ever be. I am having to go and learn the real rule of rail traffic and travel, but that makes it all the more enticing.

Oops! got off on a tangent.

I am trying to learn the rules of signaling. I have learned a great deal, but to try to make those rules to reflect in TS12 is often leaving me with a headache and unsure of how to get signaling to work. I am using JR signals, almost exclusively. In addition to the Yellow|green signals, I am also having a lot of trouble with three indicator interchange lights to work.

If any one can help I would be very thankful....As I have always been to those who have helped me before.

Thanks

Billy

Hello All!

I am sure that this question has been asked before, and, yes, I am asking anyway. I have a hard time researching.

I have been TS12 for over a year now. I am still a novice--learning every day I create. I have a frustration with yellow over green, or yellow over flashing green, signals. When I am driving it does not seem to be a problem. However, when AI is driving the consist slows down to limited track speed and seem to mess up scheduling and other trains on the route.

that is because they are supposed to slow for those signals. place a speed sign after them where they should speed back up, that is how it is done in the real world.

In addition to the Yellow|green signals, I am also having a lot of trouble with three indicator interchange lights to work.

please explain more about this.

Since i created all of the JR signals, i will try to help you as much as i can. if you want, try checking out some resources for signal rules, they might help you understand the signals a bit more.

Hi micro.

These may help. There were written by Chuck Brite for TRS2006 and he primarily uses the USA and USA2 signals, but still apply on TS12.

Introduction to Signalling - the basics, I think you know most of it but it may help.
Working with signals - this should help when it comes to making the AI cooperate.
Sometimes 35 is faster than 60 - This will explain why the trains slow down. As norfolk said, they are supposed to.

You can see the rest of his tutorials at his site.

I hope I can help
-OC

Dear NS37,

Here is the interchange I am signaling. I am not good with graphix so I am going to try my best.

-----S-----\----------/-----------\-----------/-----S-----
\ / \ /
-----S-------\---\---/--------------\---/----/------S-----
\ /
\ /
Old decommissioned Wye

All I ever get is a yellow or green light in middle head when there is a clear path. There is no indication what path is being taken.
(Note: the old Wye switches have junctions that are marked "- X -" and are set for the main line travel, but I never use them.)

Billy

These may help. There were written by Chuck Brite for TRS2006 and he primarily uses the USA and USA2 signals, but still apply on TS12.

These may not be appropriate for the JR signals. it might work in principle but the JR ones are also configured to allow signalling a bi directional single track with intermediates as the real RRs do.

Dear NS37,

Here is the interchange I am signaling. I am not good with graphix so I am going to try my best.

-----S-----\----------/-----------\-----------/-----S-----
\ / \ /
-----S-------\---\---/--------------\---/----/------S-----
\ /
\ /
Old decommissioned Wye

All I ever get is a yellow or green light in middle head when there is a clear path. There is no indication what path is being taken.
(Note: the old Wye switches have junctions that are marked "- X -" and are set for the main line travel, but I never use them.)

Billy

terribly sorry but i am not really sure what that means.

if you are only getting indications on the middle head it is probably because the track paths have not been set on the signal properties in surveyor. the 3 head signal requires some basis on what the 'straight-through' path is in order to display correctly.

I hope this comes out better.

Signalling_diagram.jpg

ok, these would need to be set in the following manner.

59160944e962da4815ac9adfdf943958.jpg

the signals need to know the mainline direction of the turnouts they guard. that is what the L,R etc code is. this can be entered in surveyor if you click the '?' button in the trackside panel and select the signal. you will then need to save the route and session to keep the data.

Last edited:
NS37,

Thanks for the great help!! I have one final question. when I click the ? I get the L and the R, but what is the F mean?

Billy

Back