Indian Railways content for Trainz

Status
Not open for further replies.

ravikw

Hello every one. I saw some news item in Google that Indian Railways will be coming soon into Trainz.
Would like to know if Indian Railways Locomotives, Rolling Stock , Scenery and Trackside objects , and Tracks are going to be coming to our Trainz Download Station.

Best Regards,

Ravi Prakash Eranki
Kuwait

Hello, Ravi. To get you started, I'd like to suggest downloading the Darjeeling Himalayan Railway (DHR). It is a representation of the classic narrow gauge railway that runs from Darjeeling south through the mountains and down to Sukna. The route is full of content made exclusively for this particular route and all of it is on the Download Station. The route will work in either TS2010 or TS2012. As for TS2012, after correcting a couple of minor errors in content, it will run in TS2-12SP1HF1.

I am in the process of creating an add-on route to our DHR that will continue the run from Sukna all the way to New Jalpaiguri where it meets with broad-gauge trains.

Bill

Hi Bill thank you for your response. I have alredy downloaded DHR into my TS 12 and it is working fine. What I am looking for is the Indian Railways locomotives WDM, WDP, WAG ,WDS series and Roliling Stocks of Passenger Coaches and Freight wagons. Currently they are only available for MSTS which is a totally different type of format and content. With the ease of operability and route building in Trainz, I would like to see if any one is going to develop and make them available in the DLS. I saw and downloaded a couple of WDM1 repaints in DLS but the Indian Railways ALCO locomotive is not working in TS 12.( It looks a little like WDM2 )

Best Regards

Ravi

I don't know of any, Ravi. Perhaps someone will pick up the challenge and produce some Indian motive power and rolling stock for the broader gauges. My building skills stop at route-building, texturing, and terraforming.

I am happy you like the DHR. We spent just over three years building it for TS2004 and kept upgrading it through all the later versions. Now the whole route and content is on the DLS.

Bill

Hi Bill , My skills to are limited to the tools available in Trainz Surveyor and to some extent making of scenery objects from Google Sketchup. I am trying to acquire the Repaint Skills but I am yet to get the Paintshed Shed Application which will work for TS12. I can think of making Repaints of existing content in TS12 into Indian Railways Content only if I have this tool available.

Hope someone will let me know if there is such version available.

Best Regards

Ravi

PaintShed is not supported in anything higher than TRS2006, so you will not be able to use it for TS12. Reskinning using texture files is fairly straightforward, it just takes practice.

Ravi

For a long time I have been devoted to narrow gauge and recently thought that I should go to the other extreme 'Indian railways' gauge. I make no promises but do intend to make Indian content. Hopefully, others will catch the bug. Considering the wide diversity of IR stock, what are the best items to start with. Can you obtain any drawings from IR?

Peter

Hi Captainkman, thanks for your response. Please let me know the application for doing the re-skinning. Will Trainz Mesh Viewer or Trainz Objects applications help in editing of textures?

Best Regards

Ravi

Hi Peter

Thanks for your response. MSTS has all Indian Railways Locomotives and Rolling Stock. Will those be of any help?
I have MSTS and Indian Railways in MSTS.

Best Regards

Ravi

Ravi

I don't think that MSTS models can help in any way. It is not possible or legal to try to convert those models to Trainz. It is necessary to start from scratch. What would help is if you can find out the 'loading gauge' dimensions, ie. maximum width of loco or trancar body and the maximum height from the top of the rails. There should be a diagram available that shows all these things. Also freight and passenger car bogie wheel diameters and wheel base.

If I can find out what is needed for making a scenic item for MSTS perhaps I could make a flat plane with dimensions on it that you could put behind MSTS rolling stock to give me an idea about sizes.

This is early days, It is possible that I can get some information from Irfca.

Peter

Peter,

Both MSTS and Kuju are now no longer in business nor do they provide any support with regard to Microsoft Train Simulator. I see your point about possibility or legality of conversion.

I am also a member of IRFCA. I will try and find out the required information on this and let you know if I come up with any

Best Regards

Ravi

Hi Captainkman, thanks for your response. Please let me know the application for doing the re-skinning. Will Trainz Mesh Viewer or Trainz Objects applications help in editing of textures?

Best Regards

Ravi
Hello.

To reskin, you just need an image editor like Paint.NET, Gimp, or for the really serious, Photoshop.

Trainz Mesh Viewer will allow you to view the reskin without going into trainz, by displaying the mesh.

TrainzObjects is for TRS2004 and earlier, to make up for the fact that Content Manager was only developed in TRS2006 and later.

Kieran.

Hi Kieran thanks for the tip. I tried it out with Paint.Net & TrainZ MEsh Viewer and it is working.
Best Regards

Ravi

IR content in Trainz is very limited, there is the DHR and one broad gauge steam locomotive on the DLS. I created a WDM2 and it is hosted temporarily on my personal website.
http://www.atlantarails.com/locomotives.html , also some coaches on there too but they are just paintshed reskins that I found somewhere, swapped the trucks on and error corrected for TS12. Sometime this summer I will build my own set of trucks for this unit and put it on the DLS or somewhere easier to find, the trucks are clone of ones of a Spanish ALCO that had to be height adjusted and didnt feel comfortable posting them on the DLS. I did the WDM1's too and they are horribly outdated, I don't recommend anyone using them. As far as routes go you are pretty much out of luck, long ago someone did an Indian themed route but it is very toylike by todays standards, plus it has a unholy amount of missing and impossible to find dependencies, including the tracks. I've been experimenting to see what is possible with the DHR content for creating an Indian route but alot of content like station not to mention the correct gauge track needs to be made first. My ALCO runs 1668 mm Iberian gauge since it was the closest available.

Last edited:
Hi Nikos,

Thanks for your response and for the WDM2 download link. You are right about the missing dependencies in Trainz Assets. Hope that Auran will come up with some way to locate and download missing dependencies as shown in the warning notices in Content Manager. I am also trying to make Indian Routes but I am facing the hurdle of IR Locomotives and Rolling Stock. Scenery objects I am managing with Google Sketchup. Please let me know if you come across any other IR Rolling Stock or Locomotives.

Best Regards

Ravi

Hi all members who are interested in developing Indian Railways themed Routes.

I have uploaded some Indian themed Scenery objects to DLS recently. All are made from Google Sketchup models.

They can be searched using the following KUID : KUID2:391428:21005:1 onwards up to KUID2:391428:21020:1

Best Regards

Ravi

For rolling stock check out Spain Trainz Rutas, they have alot of freightcars though while Spanish prototype are 1668 mm gauge and bear some resemblance to those used in India. The tankcars, container flats and gondola's are decent stand ins.

A friendly request to those using Sketchup, please ensure that your models conform to the 'poly' guidelines set in the WIKI. Sketchup models can be excessively large and cause considerable slowdowns in Trainz.

Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back