Show Off Your Routes *Potential For Large Screenshots*

Another late night of losing track of time.
34328f70c4b6246b8ccda801ca60c7a1.jpg

17f9eb51e341fd30bc303d8887d69528.jpg

Also side note, JR GP35, 10 out of 10. Totally recommend them

The beginnings of my newly redesigned MWRR Bluebell Branch. I've done a lot of work on the yard and maintenance facilities however I am stuck on what to put around the area...industry? Homes? Any ideas? Please either PM me or post the idea in the MWRR Project thread that's gonna be created.
Enjoy!

A close up of the maintenance facilities:
a4a9a02cde0c181157ddc3151c696a63.jpg

Yard Engine/Car Storage
f9ca2a9ba89be5dd59e7f88999b8b42b.jpg

Car Shops:
1fb584084d000c57f65b3af41b59a758.jpg

Rear of MOW Shops:
7b7bfadcacc62d31696d9ef834be4cec.jpg

Front of MOW Shops:
7b92471819d3e341735833cfa962b02a.jpg

Yard Offices:
daf16094ea66ee62bc8193d69ce3dceb.jpg

Empty Space that needs to be developed (ideas?):
05c4cfcf30d013fc5da07a79532ec7ab.jpg

Overview of Yard/Facilities:
99961c41b1c07937823f0cdd1d4d1ba6.jpg

Thanks!

West end of Avis Yard, the eastbound yard for Hinton, used for assembling Eastbound coal trains.

Got my Map today, need to add the car repair/stock yard/MOW/wye

n8phu_20150413_0001_zpswordojoc.jpg

A 100 car coal train Departing Avis Yard with 2 Alleghenys, one fore and one aft.

n8phu_20150413_0002_zpsnpop4xfc.jpg

Hinton, WV, and in the the C&O era! It's a shame to look at that yard now adays... Out of curiosity, will this route go all the way up the Gorge to MA Cabin?

Hinton, WV, and in the the C&O era! It's a shame to look at that yard now adays... Out of curiosity, will this route go all the way up the Gorge to MA Cabin?

Currently the THREE routes will go from Clifton Forge Va to Hinton Wv (Alleghany Sub), Hinton Wv to Handley Wv (YES, the ENTIRE New River sub), and from Handley Wv to Ashland Ky, then on to Limeville Ky

Once those are done, then the James River Sub and the Mountain sub will be started... we plan on eventually having from Newport News to Linmeville Ky... then figure out where to go from there.

EDIT: If I can get a good track chart, the Manns Creek NG Railway will be represented too

Last edited:
This route. Will go all the way from Newport News, Virginia, to Limeville, Kentucky.

Currently the THREE routes will go from Clifton Forge Va to Hinton Wv (Alleghany Sub), Hinton Wv to Handley Wv (YES, the ENTIRE New River sub), and from Handley Wv to Ashland Ky, then on to Limeville Ky

Once those are done, then the James River Sub and the Mountain sub will be started... we plan on eventually having from Newport News to Linmeville Ky... then figure out where to go from there.

EDIT: If I can get a good track chart, the Manns Creek NG Railway will be represented too

Dang! I am actually across the water from Newport News, I don't go up there much because I know it's in worse shape than the Norfolk District when it comes to how much of the line is in it's original layout. I love going to Richmond though. Keep up the good work guys!

I have an idea for a "Ohio Industrial" Route set in a Fictional City In Ohio. I will start working on it After i get all of the dependencies for EVWR2.

I'm so used to dependency downloading that I looked for a route to download when I got all the dependencies for a route. I like building industrial routes, but My products are ALWAYS the same. Paper, electric motors, cement, scrap, and pipes. I need to diversify my products. Can someone recommend common commodities?

I have never loaded a virtual commodity that doesn't visibly show up as a seen product, unlike: coal, iron ore, lumber, machinery loads, are visible products ... I just run a train

Last edited:
I'm so used to dependency downloading that I looked for a route to download when I got all the dependencies for a route. I like building industrial routes, but My products are ALWAYS the same. Paper, electric motors, cement, scrap, and pipes. I need to diversify my products. Can someone recommend common commodities?

What kind of operations are you looking for and in what era? Fruit and Veg (Reefers of any description really) were common in EVERY town up till about the 1970's/80s or so when Trucks took over alot of it. To this day in Seattle theres a few huge Food Distribution Warehouses that, if they're not actively using their rails, retain much of if not all of the active Rail connection in case they ever decide to start using them again. United Grocers has one up on the south end of Boeing field. Theres also a smaller one that actively does transload of mostly food from Reefers to Trucks on the North End of Boeing field and it gets supplied with about 5-8 new reefers every other day or so.

On that line of thinking, Flour of various descriptions gets hauled around alot in 2 and 3 bay covered hoppers for Bakeries. Theres a Franz Bakery up here in SODO thats supplied by Rail.

Dirt. Theres a company up here which is actually responsible for being the first commercial customer to cause Rail to be Laid in seattle in over a decade who's entire business model seems to be loading Dirt on and off of barges for I don't even know what purpose. Suffice it to say they do it anyway..... They're getting themselves a nice new 3 track yard which from the plans I've seen should be able to hold about 20 Gondolas or Hoppers of Dirt Fairly effectively....

Fuel Coal and Oil for Heating, as well as for Vehicles has always been a small little industry for the railroads for a long time as well. I know when people think of Coal these days they think about 150 car Unit trains, but back in the day, once it got to somewhere like Cleaveland out of the hills of West Virginia, as often as not there would be lower grade coal sent out in packs of 2-12 cars to various points for distribution to towns as Stove/Fireplace Fuel. That started to die about the 1960's/70's or so. Fuel Oil was the replacement and I think as much of that has been hauled by truck as anything else, but the Railroads have carried some.

Diesel Fuel is one I see alot of being moved around. If you're a coal mine (Or anyone really) out in the boonies, its far easier to have the railroad thats picking up your coal drop a tanker or two of Diesel on a siding for fueling up..... Theres other reasons for inner-city/suburban customers to want this as well (Bulk purchasing usually saves some money for instance), but I haven't personally seen a whole heck of a lot of this around specifically Seattle.

All KINDS of nasty chemicals to choose from. Argon is a big one, but theres also alot of propane floating around (har har). After that, you tend to get 1-4 car loads of almost any chemical you care to name.

On that score, Granulated chemicals, Lime being a HUGE one (This is usually carried in a covered hopper) as its used to make cement, but literally tons of others. Theres certain types of fine sands that carried around for use in all kinds of industries...... The Cement Industry is kind of like a quiet giant. The stuff is everywhere, and most every community from Small Towns to Huge Cities have at least one cement plant of varying size and description (Its rare to get Rotary Kilns outside of the really large facilities though). Almost all of these facilities that are more then about 15 years old or so are, or have been at some point, serviced by Rail. Making Cement eats TONS of certain chemicals and its just wholly ineffective to try to move it all by Truck generally speaking, (There are of course exceptions, but you usually really have to go digging to find them).

Automobiles. About twice a year (Usually beginning and end of summer), I start seeing tons of Auto Carriers coming in and out of Seattle. Im not exactly sure why this industry exhibits this particular pattern, but someone has to carry thousands of Fords, Dodges, Chryslers, Toyotas, and whatever else have you across the nation....

Steel.... You've got Scrap, but what are you doing with it? Steel Mills often take scrap and melt it down and then make Sheet Rolls, Pipe, Rail, Beams, Plate, or just Small Steel Stock out of it. Though its rare for a Steel Mill to *just* do Scrap reclamation (That does happen occasionally), they often also make new steel as well from Coal and Iron, or depending on their business even Coal and Melted down Scrap Iron.....

On that score, Machining Facilities. Take new steel and produce Widgets, or whatever. The more recent you get the less these tend to be serviced by rail, but some that specialize in bigger items still are. Shipyards are a GREAT example of this kind of thing, but there are numerous others.

Lastly Intermodal of any description. Pretty much every major city at this point has some kind of mid-large sized Intermodal Facility. By Intermodal this can take the form of TOFC, or just Containers on Well Cars and the like.

Hope that helps,
Falcus

It really depends on your time frame. I'm going to list some of the commodities I moved as a engineer and a conductor.

Battery Components: Lead Ingots, Sulfuric Acid

Cardboard Boxes: Pulpboard in, waste out

Plastics: Remember when it comes to plastic pellets, there is hundreds of varieties of plastic pellets as well as pigments.

Steel can components: Coiled steel and lacquer paint (for the insides of the cans)

Corn Products International: CPC got inbound corn, dirt, hydrochloric acids (<--for cleaning the insides of the tanks). Outbound they produced corn germ, corn meal, corn husks, corn syrup and more.

Corn Syrup: Used for everything. Can be delivered to a Coke or Pepsi bottling plant like I did, or it can go to a cake bakery and the like. Many choices here.

Furniture: Inbound particle board and a chemical they used to make foam which I cannot remember. Outbound waste

Glass: Industrial sand, lime, cullet (broken recycled glass), soda

Animal feed: corn meal, wheat meal, tankage ( dehydrated ground pork)

Asphalt is always a good one. Gets real busy in the summer when states are repaving roads.

I could go on and on, but these are just a few to think about.

~Zak

Thank you! So far I have a gravel transloading company, and I will make an industrial hose company, which gets plastic, and rubber in, and hoses out. I could make a corn syrup company. Do they use those awesome lil' 10,000 gal tankers? A bakery would be nice. Oh, I forgot to mention that the route is an industrial modern day route with a medium amount of traffic.

Back