The "Good" SP1 thread

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
Feel free to post here if you have successfully installed SP1 without any problems and to highlight anything you've discovered that you would like to give us the "thumbs up" for. If you have issues, please find one of the negative threads and add to that post so that we can identify the problems and hopefully help solve them. In other words, we would like this to be a place where visitors can find a list of new things/improvements/fixes they can expect to find in SP1.

install took a long time but other than that everything seems to be good, seems to load much faster now
i like the new part in game where you can search downloads :)

Hi, Tony:

One of the very good things was the functionality of the Pick List. It used to be horrible because you couldn't scroll downwards except in big chunks. It dropped down from the top also, which was ok, but not ideal. There were lots of times I couldn't even get to the bottom of the list because that content was cut off and inaccessible.

Now, the list slides in from the side and is completely scrollable. Well done.

Bill

Firstly, I'm glad that N3V have finally got rid of that texture compression tick box in Content Manager , although I hope that it does not result in multicolour textures.

Also, it's good to see that there are now filters for 'On Download Station' and 'Archived', and a menu item for 'Route Sessions'.

Thirdly, I've noticed the new 'Will install asset at' messages - in my opinion this is a good thing so people do not need to worry about what it is doing.

The only small thing I was slightly annoyed about was the size of the patch.

I haven't got as far as getting into the game itself yet, but I will update if I find anything else good.

Shane

Probably not for a while given the issues that have cropped up (and anyway, it's a huge patch so you will be unable to use Trainz anyway for a few hours at least)

Shane

The SP1 patch downloaded and installed without a hitch. I like the little additions and fixes so far. I have only been working in 'Surveyor', and have little to complain about. What I do like most of all, is you NV3 guys getting on line, not only helping us through this install, but also giving us some insight into why changes were made.

I find the new menu setup nice with the multiplayer menu useful in finding games to play with others. The in game DLS for routes and sessions is also nice. The game also seems to be running faster. Though I have had limited time to play around with the update. I find it is not near as bad as the neigh Sayers are making it out to be. I have no problem accessing and using my DLC content. I like that it now downloads with just my user name and password and is ready for use

@4449tj:

With the manual patch, you download an EXE file and decide when/if you want to install the patch. With an automatic patch, you will start Trainz and it will tell you there is a patch available. If you let it, the patch will download and install automagically.

Bill

what is the difference between auto and manual patch?

Auto patch - usually comes in the form of a yes/no box when starting Trainz and it downloads and installs it in one go.
Manual patch - usually comes in the form of a .exe file which you download from N3V's site and double-click it to run it.

Shane

so now the real question: should i go ahead and download or should i back up trainz on a flash drive and then try?
TJ

As with any major patch, it's best to backup your entire Trainz installation first.

Shane

P.S. In case you haven't read, the patch is 1.76GB.

50 minutes to download. Over three hours to patch with anti-virus running. 22 faulty assets before and 23 after. 425 warnings before and 426 after. Everything is working that I've tried. So far, so good. No broken couplers on the Mojave Sub! The DPU Push drove me crazy as I could never get past 6 MPH before a coupler broke so it was great to finally complete that session.

One thing I have to give N3V a big hand for is the server bandwidth and stability. :clap:

This has got to be one of their bigest rollouts in awhile and yet they are up and fast (for certain values of fast).

Well done to the team :Y:

(of course the weekend is coming) :hehe:

50 minutes to download. Over three hours to patch with anti-virus running. 22 faulty assets before and 23 after. 425 warnings before and 426 after. Everything is working that I've tried. So far, so good. No broken couplers on the Mojave Sub! The DPU Push drove me crazy as I could never get past 6 MPH before a coupler broke so it was great to finally complete that session.
-Since I created that session, sorry it took so long for you to finish it. I like realism as this is a simulator after all. I personally think that DCC or whatever its called should be removed from the sim. The session probably could of been setup better, but since the route was created in a previous version of Trainz, JR and I had no clue it would of turned out like it did. Another reason why vegetation only goes out so far and then the draw distance got improved. There was just lack of info given to us on TS12 before it came out.
-SP1 went well for me. Downloaded, installed and let the EDR run over night. Downloaded all the updated content from inside the game the next day. Before I patched I knew I had no missing deps and no faulty content. After all was said and done, there was almost 2,400 assets faulty. (I do have a lot of content btw) I'm not complaining about it, cause I know 95% is due to missing thumbnails. I'll take it upon myself to fix them all. I'm just glad Auran is making things more strict so us content creators cant half-a*s the process. Out of over 5000 assets of my own, only one was faulty, missing thumbnail was all it was. I'm always for updates. It always makes things better. As I see it, things will always get worse before they get better. I just cant wait for the locomotive bells to get fixed!

-Joe

I'm very appreciative of the patience and level of communication shown by N3V towards the users of the community that are having difficulties with SP1. I'd also like to thank the regular forum members who also step up to help out as well.

I patched my "benchmark" copy of TS12 with SP1 in a little over 2 hours without any problems so far. I use this to install my assets to see if I have references to any dependencies that are not easily found on the DLS. I'll be patching my "working" copy when I get to a good breaking point in my current route.

Regards,

Andrew

I patched my main install over the last two nights (more due to a lack of free time than anything). No real issues, although mine paused at 50% for a while (30+ minutes). I just let it go, though, and it eventually finished. I ran the EDR last night, and have started to fix the errors in jankvis assets that popped up. I should be able to get into the game and actually play some tonight :)
I did notice that the uploads to the DLS from inside CM ran much better than in the old build. Before, it would often time out and I'd have to go use the manual website upload method.

Curtis

In truth, I have just finished the update and did an EDR (Extended Database Repair) before opening the sim. All my WIP routes seem to be intact and expecting masses of disappeared textures and assets everything still seems to be in place. Now waiting for the DLC downloads to complete before attempting some editing or driving (which will probably be tomorrow).

I reckon the whole process (including getting the DLC) took around six hours on the laptop, hopefully slightly quicker when I do the main PC as I intend to reinstall a vanilla version of the programme first.

That's not to say I may not hit problems further in and I'm certainly concerned about the issues being discussed at TS.com of the draw distance limiter causing far worse scenery popup and the reduction in frame rate.

Back