why so many members like the sd40-2 you got me

hello cascaderailroad:

you are full of information today, I would never guess that they would use the wood shims for that reason. and for the pc going bad on the modern locos, the shop tech must have alot of know-how to even to attempt to fix something like that. I would figured that the engine with the bad pc onboard the engineers would have to tow it back to the shop with another engine.

as for myself, I got some steam engines in my layout and the chug chug I like very much. I bet it sounds even better in real life chugging down the line comming to a station and then start up again. there were a show on tv about a week ago on steam engines across the united states boy I wish I was there. I like those steam engines.

brakemen

:cool: The easiest answer to why so many people like the SD40, SD40-2 is because for one, they are locomotives...that is the one thing that ties everyone to the history of railroading, everybody dreams/wonders about what it is like to sit in a locomotive and run a train.

The second reason in my opinion is the sound produced by the engine in the SD40 Series locomotives...even people who like GEVO's like the sound of the Series 16V645 EMD prime mover...something about that low decible rumble the prime mover makes, especially when two are coupled together just makes my day!

There are many factors involved that stand reason behind why the locomotives/trains in question don't seem to pull that well...too many to list here, it has to do with tractive effort, rainy or dry weather, grade elevations, how long since the locomotive was calibrated for amperage output, other troubles with a particular unit, etc...there could have been one or more traction motors cut out because of a fault for example.

However, you do need to practice making understandable sentences, use punctuation, spell checking...:wave:

I know what you mean about that rumbling and growl. I used to hear that rumbling from my old house when I lived a mile from the B&M railroad. I'd lay awake at night and listen to them growl as they climbed the slight grade from Andover to Frye as they headed to Lawrence Yard.

John

to to all euphod,willaim0d0 an jciton:
yeah, the web page could be older than me but I'm learning something new everyday. after reading your post william0d0 on the sd40-2 and what others say, it must been a great engine. I remember the conrail sd45-2 thats was back in the 80's. I do not know if it was a a -2 (dash 2). I could be wrong there, it may have been a sd45. jciton, I'm only a half a mile away from the tracks, in the night time when they switch at the switch yard, banging the cars around on the side tracks thats what I like to listen. when all three ns es40dc ready to roll down the main track and leave the yard the engineers seems like they put the engines in full throttle and start to move the rumble the noise they make in the beginning thats what I like also. we do not get too many of sd45's its mostly sd70's and a c44-9,and es40dc. I just wish they can come in the day time so I can take pictures of them its all ways at night. why?

brakemen

Last edited:
to to all euphod,willaim0d0 an jciton:
yeah, the web page could be older than me but I'm learning something new everyday. after reading your post william0d0 on the sd40-2 and what others say, it must been a great engine. I remember the conrail sd45-2 thats was back in the 80's. I do not know if it was a a -2 (dash 2). I could be wrong there, it may have been a sd45. jciton, I'm only a half a mile away from the tracks, in the night time when they switch at the switch yard, banging the cars around on the side tracks thats what I like to listen. when all three ns es40dc ready to roll down the main track and leave the yard the engineers seems like they put the engines in full throttle and start to move the rumble the noise they make in the beginning thats what I like also. we do not get too many of sd45's its mostly sd70's and a c44-9,and es40dc. I just wish they can come in the day time so I can take pictures of them its all ways at night. why?

brakemen

I wonder too why they run at night, but then again where I live the MBTA owns the rails and GTI/PAR run on MBTAs terms meaning they have to stay out of the way of the commuter trains. With the double-tracking up my way, this might help and allow freight operations during the day.

These aren't SD40s or SD45s, but old GP40s. This shows the conditions that GTI/PAR operates.

http://rail-videos.net/video/view.php?id=13720

Sad condition of the rails and the locomotives even though they wear a new blue paint scheme.

John

hello to all:

and today in the day light I saw a 2 ns engines sd 70m-2 carrying a half mile long open hoppers loaded with stone and dumping the stone onto the main line. gee, only if I had my camera with me I would have taken a picture of that. funny thing about the hoppers I did not recognize any rail lines alot of hoppers had the name L-P on the sides. now what is L-P? i do not know any rail line by that name.

brakemen

brakemen, this webpage may well be older than you, I don't know, but it should interest you regardless:

http://krugtales.50megs.com/rrpictale/p000310/p000310.htm

Wonder what happened to krug. He just kinda petered off his updates on the site some years back. Used to love going there back when MSTS was the "big dog" on the block.

Get this. I mailed him and asked what happened, and got a response: Quote:

retired in 2008.
Then I lost control of my Krugtales web site. I can't post to it anymore.

Last edited:
:cool: The easiest answer to why so many people like the SD40, SD40-2 is because for one, they are locomotives...that is the one thing that ties everyone to the history of railroading, everybody dreams/wonders about what it is like to sit in a locomotive and run a train.

The second reason in my opinion is the sound produced by the engine in the SD40 Series locomotives...even people who like GEVO's like the sound of the Series 16V645 EMD prime mover...something about that low decible rumble the prime mover makes, especially when two are coupled together just makes my day!

There are many factors involved that stand reason behind why the locomotives/trains in question don't seem to pull that well...too many to list here, it has to do with tractive effort, rainy or dry weather, grade elevations, how long since the locomotive was calibrated for amperage output, other troubles with a particular unit, etc...there could have been one or more traction motors cut out because of a fault for example.

However, you do need to practice making understandable sentences, use punctuation, spell checking...:wave:

Because they sound great!! Better than today's modern power.

hellocnsd40mrt:

I must came at the end of the sd40-2 years. all I remember was the sd50s and sd60s in conrail. but now we got ns ac40dc,and sd70m-2 I believe thats the call numbers. since we are on this subject did ns change its horn sound lately? the horn sound on the sd70m-2 sounds different or it could be sd60 horn thats sounds different.

brakemen

Back