why so many members like the sd40-2 you got me

brakemen

hello to all: thats my 2 cents worth about sd40-2 and the gp-38

we have in this city a switch yard a norfolk southern a sd40-2 comes along just passing through I mile long train and it was struggleing to get some speed. you can hear it as the engine screems for more power but cannot. then next day a sd 70 norfolksouthern moveing a mile and half lone train came and stoped and switched at the switchyard gather some more cars to add to the long train. then stoped for about for 5 minutes( I guess he needs to get clearence). and then the sd 70 started and take off and in about few mins that long train was gone. but the same sd40-2 a day before took so long for it to clear the switchyard on the maintrack. bigger engines longer trains, weaker engines like sd40-2 and gp 38 should keep it under a mile like a half a mile train. but any in my layout I got a sd40-2 bn pulling a mile and a half train cannot pull it so I took 3/4 of it unhook into a switch yard and proceeded and did ok now I got a sd70 ns and it pulled a 2 and half mile train no problem picked up speed fast and everthing. i cannot say that with the sd40-2 in real life that I expiernced on that day or o the one in my layout.

its ok if you all like the sd40-2 or the gp38 but for me I like move long train in my layout and the sd40-2 and the gp38 are weak engines to pull a 1 to 2 mile long train in a simulation or in real life like that one I saw. why would anyone put a sd40-2 engines on mile long train in real life; like the engineer must know that the sd40-2 will struggle with a mile long train or longer if he was driving the consest from point a to point b. I would think that real life that the engineer would get aleast get a stronger engine to pull the train but I guess I was wrong.

breakemen

the 40 dash 2 has many fans because for the longest time in railroading, it was the best out there. Before the 70's, and dash 9's came out, the 40 dash 2 was the top dog. They're not underpowered per se either. Fact is, most of them that have been regulated to switching were downrated by the companies that own them. Usually this means they're given a less powerful engine or various components are switched out.

to compare:

Sd40-2 Power: 3000 hp

SD70: Power : 4000 hp

Dash 9: Power 4000 to 5100 HP (depending on locomotive type)

Dash 8: 4000 hp.

It's worth noting though that a few SD40's were rebuilt to the point of putting out 130,000 pounds of pulling power. Where as a standard SD40-2 only puts out 80,000 pounds.

to all who replies with no back slap: I'm not going to name any members but he is the first one to respond.
but to those who did respond thanks for explaining that to me I would not have guessed that. I guess I did not do any homework on this subject about the sd40-2.

and again to those who responded magicmaker, trainzarebest12 and pdkoester thanks to take the time to explain that to me. (at least I thank the members who post on any of my threads it just seems common courtesy). one of the members did not want to take time to explain. I too can be nasty and evil also nikos1. you do not want to deal with me.
thats all I wanted for some explantion on this subject. remind me never to post anything into his thread that was rude. he could have explain it just like anyone else on this post.

brakemen

I'm not a major fan of most US designs, but I do like most hood unit types like the SD-40. I admit I am however very partial to it's Australian brother, the Westrail L class (my forum avatar by the way ;)). Plus ironically enough a couple of actual SD-40s are now working here in Australia on the iron ore lines in the Pilbrara to cover a motive power shortage.

I'm guessing you didn't grow up in the 80's. Up until the hmm...mid 90's the Dash 40 was about the biggest locomotive you'd see bouncing around. Most modelers that grew up around that time regard them as a kind of classic locomotive. In a way it's not unlike how some users swear by the RS locomotives, or the F units.

hello cascade railroad and enkidoh:

cascade I have looked at your links to you tube and for enkidoh my austrailian engine I use is the qr2100 class and the robe engine if thats an austrailian engine that I do not know I would think it is.

brakemen

and for nikos1 I want him banned from my posts at all times if he cannot explain the topic I have listed or any other topics I post I do not want him ever to post in my subjects again. I would not even consider slamming someones elses post like the way he did to me. at least I show respect for the other memebrs posts and threads and if I answer them and I do not know if thats what they are looking for in answer I at least try to make an attempt to say I could be wrong or I will to explain my anwser in further detail.

any slamming in my posts will be salmmed back right nikos1 an eye for an eye sort of speak.
most members are grown up and considerate when comes to posting in other members posts and do not act like a baby like you did nikos1.

brakemen

The GP40s, SD40s, the dash 2s, and dash 8s are very common still where I live. Guilford Transportation, aka Pan Am Railways now, still runs plenty of them on their main line freights and what's left of their branch lines. These are and were great units in their day, but sadly with companies like PAR the units are run into the ground and lose the power they once had. Like any engine, whether in a locomotive or an automobile, if you abuse it and don't maintain it, it will lose its power and become junk. With Guilford/PAR, the units blow smoke worse than ALCO diesels.

John

hello to all: thats my 2 cents worth about sd40-2 and the gp-38

we have in this city a switch yard a norfolk southern a sd40-2 comes along just passing through I mile long train and it was struggleing to get some speed. you can hear it as the engine screems for more power but cannot. then next day a sd 70 norfolksouthern moveing a mile and half lone train came and stoped and switched at the switchyard gather some more cars to add to the long train. then stoped for about for 5 minutes( I guess he needs to get clearence). and then the sd 70 started and take off and in about few mins that long train was gone. but the same sd40-2 a day before took so long for it to clear the switchyard on the maintrack. bigger engines longer trains, weaker engines like sd40-2 and gp 38 should keep it under a mile like a half a mile train. but any in my layout I got a sd40-2 bn pulling a mile and a half train cannot pull it so I took 3/4 of it unhook into a switch yard and proceeded and did ok now I got a sd70 ns and it pulled a 2 and half mile train no problem picked up speed fast and everthing. i cannot say that with the sd40-2 in real life that I expiernced on that day or o the one in my layout.

its ok if you all like the sd40-2 or the gp38 but for me I like move long train in my layout and the sd40-2 and the gp38 are weak engines to pull a 1 to 2 mile long train in a simulation or in real life like that one I saw. why would anyone put a sd40-2 engines on mile long train in real life; like the engineer must know that the sd40-2 will struggle with a mile long train or longer if he was driving the consest from point a to point b. I would think that real life that the engineer would get aleast get a stronger engine to pull the train but I guess I was wrong.

breakemen
Because they were the first ever truly successful hood units, and revolutionised locomotive design in the US and beyond.
and for nikos1 I want him banned from my posts at all times if he cannot explain the topic I have listed or any other topics I post I do not want him ever to post in my subjects again. I would not even consider slamming someones elses post like the way he did to me. at least I show respect for the other memebrs posts and threads and if I answer them and I do not know if thats what they are looking for in answer I at least try to make an attempt to say I could be wrong or I will to explain my anwser in further detail.

any slamming in my posts will be salmmed back right nikos1 an eye for an eye sort of speak.
most members are grown up and considerate when comes to posting in other members posts and do not act like a baby like you did nikos1.

brakemen
Thats a tad excessive...
You have to get to know someone before you go out on a tirade like that. First impressions last.

hello nathenmallard: and thanks for your post to this topic,

I have alots to say about this: you did make a good point first imprerssions will last so is it fair to me open up my post and see this evilness first post. well he made a first impression on me and its not too well. I got some nice feed back on this subject from all the other members who explained to me and after reading their posts I see where they are comming from. thats all he had to do if he knows why someone would like the sd40-2 over any other engine I would take that just like the other replies they explained to me why they like the sd40-2 and I'm cool with that I understand that. but for him to slam me and my post for no reason thats stupid and inconciderate. and besides I'm thinking, I would not treat him like that so why do it to me thats very immature.

the most inconciderate member on auran goes to ...... we all can guess who

brakemen

:cool: The easiest answer to why so many people like the SD40, SD40-2 is because for one, they are locomotives...that is the one thing that ties everyone to the history of railroading, everybody dreams/wonders about what it is like to sit in a locomotive and run a train.

The second reason in my opinion is the sound produced by the engine in the SD40 Series locomotives...even people who like GEVO's like the sound of the Series 16V645 EMD prime mover...something about that low decible rumble the prime mover makes, especially when two are coupled together just makes my day!

There are many factors involved that stand reason behind why the locomotives/trains in question don't seem to pull that well...too many to list here, it has to do with tractive effort, rainy or dry weather, grade elevations, how long since the locomotive was calibrated for amperage output, other troubles with a particular unit, etc...there could have been one or more traction motors cut out because of a fault for example.

However, you do need to practice making understandable sentences, use punctuation, spell checking...:wave:

hello backyard and pdkoester: :)
yeah, I guess I did not check my sentences or run a spell check. my fault on that one; yeah, I wish I can sit in an engine or better yet stand and watch the engineer does his thing. travel for about 10 miles and come back where you started from I'll be satisfied with that. but I do not know if they still do that any longer. about those engines I saw and heard I guess I will never know, maybe its a bad engine beeing pulled to the freight yard. its like you said backyard, it could be anything. one thing you say was dry weather I would think that would be good for the engines?

my sentences and punctuation should be a little better today, and again thanks for bringing that to my attention

and for pdkoester: I have moved on, thats in the past now and I'm back on track; so let us talk about engines or something. :)

brakemen

While Ilike the new super charged modern behemoth locomotives ... I still am a fan of transition from steam to diesel locomotives (the only exception being the BL2). I really like ALCO's, Baldwins, "E's", " F's", and pre 1950, to 1980 locos (before solid state electronics era technology). Every engineer had a pocket full of wooden shims (looking like a small bedroom doorstop) in which to insert in stuck electrical cabinet relays, to jam them open, or closed ... where as with modern locos, a loco is dead in the water, untill the loco shop PC Technician arrives to fix the onboard PC.

Back