Patching TS12 v. 49922 to v. 57720

There are now 5 or 6 SP1 threads so I am not sure where to post this, but since Zec addressed Murchison a few posts back here, this is where I will ask. I bought my Murchison2 from Amazon over a year ago. If I read your post correctly my purchase was a waste of money. I did not purchase it from the DLC so I can't redownload it from there. Can I reinstall it from the disc copies I made from my D/L?

Hi Madncan52,

If you've registered the serial numbers on Planet Auran, your account is flagged as owning those products. With the new DLC system, it will automatically download those products for you. You won't need to repurchase, or re-install these from the disc. I assure you that your purchase was not a waste.

You need to have the serial number registered in the Planet Auran , Serial Number area for the new DLC files to be sent to you. If it has not been registered Aurans DRM server won't know you own it and won't send the new files to you.

Well I also purchased Murchison 2 via Amazon over a year ago and I just now attempted to add it to my Auran account. It would not accept the serial number.

I have been testing the patch on sandbox installs of TS12 and have had it error out twice so far. This is on a clean install. Not good.

I will keep trying but at this point there is no way I am moving away from my current installation. A large portion of my main Trainz is much older content and I am not at all interested in seeing it all go down the drain.

Edit: OK, first failure was due to Real Time Anti-virus running. Second failure was due to me running several programs during installation, I am not sure which one(s) may have interfered with the install.

Third time was the charm but I had to not use the computer at all for about an hour and a half. Now to see what I've ended up with.

Last edited:
Aha, now I read that DLC packs have to be d/loaded and installed again to be working. That stuffs me up as my Trainz PC never goes on the internet. So goodbye to my Murchison's and other DLC packs which are affected that way should I upgrade to SP1. I d/load with another PC which is connected to the internet and transfer my DLC to my Trainz PC via external hard disk or a memory stick.

Why not state now and in future from where someone buys DLC packs, an internet connection is a MUST for this to run proper on your PC as I never did see such message(s) when buying these DLC packs in the past. I think I bought all of these available/made so far.

I will stick to my original install for the time being. Just to be sure.

VinnyBarb

What you are seeing is a bunch of amateurs trying to implement DRM, and failing miserably. Not to worry N3V, even the pros like EA fail miserably with DRM. The true shame is that you were incapable of learning from the abject failures of others before you. And like those others before you, you plead innocence when called to task. For instance, about this insane requirement to re download products that your users have already paid for and have in their possession. You literally took away their ability to use something that they already paid you for, spent the time to download, and installed. An intelligent company would have grandfathered all the existing DLC and implemented the draconian DRM on new DLC purchased after the installation of the service pack. I must congratulate you on one front however. It takes true talent to screw up this magnanimously. I would demand an apology, but I sincerely doubt that N3V has the intestinal fortitude to apologize for this colossal, 100% customer unfriendly, insane blunder.

What you are seeing is a bunch of amateurs trying to implement DRM, and failing miserably. Not to worry N3V, even the pros like EA fail miserably with DRM. The true shame is that you were incapable of learning from the abject failures of others before you. And like those others before you, you plead innocence when called to task. For instance, about this insane requirement to re download products that your users have already paid for and have in their possession. You literally took away their ability to use something that they already paid you for, spent the time to download, and installed. An intelligent company would have grandfathered all the existing DLC and implemented the draconian DRM on new DLC purchased after the installation of the service pack. I must congratulate you on one front however. It takes true talent to screw up this magnanimously. I would demand an apology, but I sincerely doubt that N3V has the intestinal fortitude to apologize for this colossal, 100% customer unfriendly, insane blunder.

Jim,

I think you're reading into this a lot deeper than it really is. N3V has had this system in place since TRS2006 which is about 6 years now, I think. When TRS2010 came out, anyone that purchased S&C and other packs prior to this release, had to do a manual patch for their content. With this version, N3V has implemented an automatic patch and update for these already purchased versions as well as built-in access to payware and other content within the program its self.

The content has to be updated separately because it is in the compressed archive format used by the Trainz program and cannot be accessed and updated like other assets that are installed through the DLS and Content Manager.

So nothing is really new other than the way the content is updated.

EA, on the other hand, has other issues with DRM. At least it's a lot better now with Origin than it was ever with Secu-ROM, besides you can always run your Trainz install offline if you want.

John

Update: Here's what I have done to get SP1 working without problems: This may be drastic measures, but I have everything backed up off the computer to restore later. I am slowly adding my content back in, just in case, to see if anything new should to arise. Complete uninstall of all TS12...
reboot...
install only TS12, no add-ons...
reboot...
installed SP1, then reboot...
Quick Database Repair, reboot...
finally Extended Database Repair...
then final reboot. And now, here's results.
Seems to be working. I thought I had problems with Mojave again.
Instead, it seems that it is just more restricted or locked down, as I don't remember there being a unlock feature required for the default built-in routes.
So, I selected edit route for Mojave, resaved as a new name (Mojave SP1 test)
Created a session, SP1 session test, and found that it carried over same properties as built in.
That's where I saw this unlock required to proceed with changes.
So, the original Jointed Rail issue seems to be alleviated. And just so every one is aware, there will be new WARNINGS, which can be safely ignored, that Content Manager 3.7 does extra checking to create these: Warning: Required container 'thumbnails' is missing. (this was there before, the others that follow are new to me)
Warning: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'mesh_art/mesh_art_512.texture'.
Warning: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'mesh_art/mesh_icon.texture'.
Warning: The *.texture.txt file is missing for texture resource 'mesh_shadow/black.texture'.
Warning: An asset must be specified for tag 'texture-kuid'.
Warning: An asset must be specified for tag 'texture-kuid'. Also, there is this, on a few items: Warning: The texture 'gp40_body/window.tga' is a uniform color.
Warning: The texture 'gp40_shadow/shadowblacktexture.tga' is a uniform color. Again, I would just ignore them, as they are just WARNINGS. There will be something that explains all this coming down the road, I am sure. Hope this helps alleviate some myths a questions.

Last edited:
There is a big difference between manually installing a patch and being forced to download a file that in one case, S&C, the original file was about 449MB, whereas the forced download is just shy of 900MB -virtually doubled in size. There are people that this will cause a great amount of trouble for - people with limited bandwidth, slow connections, etc. I personally have wicked fast download speeds and unlimited bandwidth, but I am advanced enough as a human being to think about those less fortunate than I.

At the very least, N3V should have clearly and proactively advised users of this process. Stating "Previously purchased DLC will now automatically attempt to download and install. If you wish to disable this feature you may do so via the in-game options menu" does not address this issue at all. That is just a blatant slap in the face to the people that pay their salaries.

As for the issue with derailing while coupling, which N3V announced 49 minutes after they announced the patch, a responsible company would have pulled the patch. How in the world they concluded "While we acknowledge that this has the potential to be a serious issue, we believe it doesn't not warrant taking down the patch at this time." is beyond cogent comprehension. Seriously, locos/rolling stock derailing due to a patch problem does not warrant pulling the patch? Does N3V understand that you NEED to couple locos/rolling stock in order to use them?

This SP is not one issue, it's a plethora of BS that regardless of what lies N3V wants to tell, was in no way thoroughly vetted before being foisted upon the public. The release of the manual patch was nothing less than a public beta test without the decency of telling people that they would be unwitting test subjects.

I see no evidence of N3V working overtime to fix the mess that this SP has caused. They are not watching the forums during off hours, offering solutions to those that have been screwed by installing it. For the derailing issue, they said it would be next week AT BEST for them to provide a hotfix. It would appear by their overall absence in the forums that they are sitting by the barbie laughing at the fools that installed their POS SP1. When a responsible company screws up this badly, they spend the money and invest the human capital to fix it NOW, not "
If all goes well we will be making an additional hotfix patch for SP1 to rectify this issue and releasing it by the middle of next week." That statement alone proves that they are nonplussed by the issues that their SP has caused. If they truly have "identified the issue and are testing a possible fix now" it would not take them a week to release the hotfix to fix the SP.

Come on N3V, show the least amount of integrity and pull your broken SP, unabashedly apologize to your customers, compensate them in some way, and actually LEARN from this fiasco. It took you far too long to release this SP to have it be broken this badly. Either someone in your marketing department or someone in your software development department is asleep at the wheel for this to have happened.

I am more fortunate than most as I tested the patch on a copy of Trainz that was installed just for that purpose, so I am still able to use my copy of Trainz. But again, I actually do think of those less fortunate than myself.

Last edited:
Amen, totally agree:
There is a big difference between manually installing a patch and being forced to download a file that in one case, S&C, the original file was about 449MB, whereas the forced download is just shy of 900MB -virtually doubled in size. There are people that this will cause a great amount of trouble for - people with limited bandwidth, slow connections, etc. I personally have wicked fast download speeds and unlimited bandwidth, but I am advanced enough as a human being to think about those less fortunate than I.

At the very least, N3V should have clearly and proactively advised users of this process. Stating "Previously purchased DLC will now automatically attempt to download and install. If you wish to disable this feature you may do so via the in-game options menu" does not address this issue at all. That is just a blatant slap in the face to the people that pay their salaries.

As for the issue with derailing while coupling, which N3V announced 49 minutes after they announced the patch, a responsible company would have pulled he patch. How in the world they concluded "While we acknowledge that this has the potential to be a serious issue, we believe it doesn't not warrant taking down the patch at this time." is beyond cogent comprehension. Seriously, locos/rolling stock derailing due to a patch problem does not warrant pulling the patch? Does N3V understand that you NEED to couple locos/rolling stock in order to use them?

This SP is not one issue, it's a plethora of BS that regardless of what lies N3V wants to tell, was in no way thoroughly vetted before being foisted upon the public. The release of the manual patch was nothing less than a public beta test without the decency of telling people that they would be unwitting test subjects.

Kd7eirjim,

That’s not correct. Please, put down the pitchfork and refrain from speculating on matters that you aren't fully briefed about. All it does is spread rumors.

To address your comparison with EA, I know it’s a hot topic at the moment, but there are a myriad of differences, so many in fact that that your comparison seems incredibly unjust. What you’re referencing is Sim City’s ‘Always on DRM’. We have nothing of the sort. You are not required to be online to play Trainz Simulator 12.

Our new DLC system has been retooled to make it simpler to purchase and manage new content. Regrettably, this was not possible with how DLC was set up previously and required us to rethink our formats. This is also not an anti-piracy concern, it's merely the best way we're aware of to automate the DLC process and make it easier for customers to access their content.

We've not taken away your content. If you've paid for it, you own it. You still have access to it; you’re still able to use it. You are not being made to purchase it again.

Is it an inconvenience to have to re-download this content? Yes. But it’s a necessity. We wanted to be able to bring the Download Content systems of Trainz into the game, to make it easier for the vast majority of our Trainz users to explore and update their content libraries. The trade off with doing this is this one time inconvenience of re-downloading.

We’re always listening to your feedback, and sometimes we may seem quiet, but we take everything our community says on board. We want to offer our users the best experience that we can, and we believe this new in game DLC system is a part of that.

What you are seeing is a bunch of amateurs trying to implement DRM, and failing miserably. Not to worry N3V, even the pros like EA fail miserably with DRM. The true shame is that you were incapable of learning from the abject failures of others before you. And like those others before you, you plead innocence when called to task.

I have no idea what you're going on about there, really..

For instance, about this insane requirement to re download products that your users have already paid for and have in their possession. You literally took away their ability to use something that they already paid you for, spent the time to download, and installed.

No we didn't, not even close. If you don't want to upgrade to the new way of doing things, you're completely free to continue to use your old version of Trainz and old versions of the various addon packs. We haven't done anything to prevent you from doing that, and we're not planning to prevent you in the future. We're also quite upfront about the changes to how we do things in this version.

If you're wondering why the need to re-download the content packs, it's a combination of a more efficient distribution mechanism and a whole lot of updates to the actual content. No, this is not simply the old version of the content re-downloaded to waste everyones money (and yes, we're paying for the hosting here, so it's our money too.)

An intelligent company would have grandfathered all the existing DLC and implemented the draconian DRM on new DLC purchased after the installation of the service pack.

We don't believe in draconian DLC. We'll leave the dragons to EA. What we've provided is an easier and more reliable way to install payware content than the old "run a separate windows installer for each content pack" method.

I must congratulate you on one front however. It takes true talent to screw up this magnanimously. I would demand an apology, but I sincerely doubt that N3V has the intestinal fortitude to apologize for this colossal, 100% customer unfriendly, insane blunder.

So far it looks like the patch is rolling out pretty well, honestly. There are always a few teething problems with any patch, I can't think of a single release or update that hasn't had at least one person complain about a failed install- but so far people seem to be figuring out their problems pretty quickly and getting on with the business of playing the game.

kind regards,

chris

Last edited:

I really can't see why this post is helpful.

I see a bunch of guys trying to improve our game experience for a product that we have already purchased. They have no obligation to do this and very little to gain.
Thanks for the update N3V. Perhaps the next improvement would be to automatically delete whingers from the forums.

I have to say that I think the Trainz community would have been much better served if something like Cratey's comments responding tokd7eirjim's had been posted to the announcement page on Monday, and the patch made available on Wednesday or Thursday.

ns

I have to say that I think the Trainz community would have been much better served if something like Cratey's comments responding tokd7eirjim's had been posted to the announcement page on Monday, and the patch made available on Wednesday or Thursday.

ns
I'm confused. Are you suggesting that N3V should have responded to the post before it was made? :)

I am not a "whinger" for pointing out the obvious. I do appreciate learning that you are afraid of hearing from people that share a different point of view than you do however.

There is nothing right about discovering that your SP breaks the coupling of content and deciding not to delete the SP - that is pure negligence.

Regardless of what WindWlkr wants to pretend, there was NO MENTION that installing this SP would FORCE people to have to re download their DLC. All that was obviously mentioned was that you could turn this "feature" off if you did not like it.

"But so far people seem to be figuring out their problems pretty quickly and getting on with the business of playing the game." Tell that to the people that can't couple their locos/rolling stock after installing your patch. Tell that to the people that cannot use their DLC because they cannot download it again due to bandwidth or connectivity issues. Tell that to the people that cannot use their DLC because it does not have a thumbnail. Tell that to the people that cannot use their DLC because of KUID issues. These are all issues entirely related to the SP, not one-off situations encountered by a select few users.

"
If you don't want to upgrade to the new way of doing things, you're completely free to continue to use your old version of Trainz and old versions of the various addon packs." And you made this knowledge available to the users in the announcement of the SP? Not buried somewhere in a changelog, but right up front in the announcement of the SP's availability?

As I stated, I was smart enough not to install this SP on my working copy of Trainz. None of the issues that I have mentioned are affecting me other than that I understand the frustration of people that have been left high and dry after installing the SP. You could have OBVIOUSLY WARNED people that redownloading their DLC would be MANDATORY if they wanted to use it after installing the SP. That would have allowed people to make an INFORMED DECISION regarding the timing of installing the SP.

I am not a "whinger" for pointing out the obvious. I do appreciate learning that you are afraid of hearing from people that share a different point of view than you do however.

Both of you calm down, please. We will be enforcing the code of conduct on these threads. :)

There is nothing right about discovering that your SP breaks the coupling of content and deciding not to delete the SP - that is pure negligence.

It doesn't "break the coupling of content". It causes specific assets with specific configuration to break. The issue was found immediately prior to the release and had not been noticed in the prior months of testing, so it was deemed not worth holding up the release.

Regardless of what WindWlkr wants to pretend, there was NO MENTION that installing this SP would FORCE people to have to re download their DLC.

I think you're putting words into my mouth there, but regardless- I agree that we could have made a bigger noise about this particular requirement, but we didn't see it as a particularly big thing. Anybody who gets hit with this has managed to locate and download a ~1.5GB patch within the first few hours of availability, and to be honest probably won't be phased by downloading the latest updates to the DLC packages.

Tell that to the people that cannot use their DLC because it does not have a thumbnail.

The vast majority of content sourced from us (either directly from us, or via our DLS) doesn't have this kind of issue. We are actively working to help correct any that do. If you have sourced content from somebody else and the content has missing files, you'll need to take that up with your content source.

Tell that to the people that cannot use their DLC because of KUID issues.

By "KUID issues", I assume you mean "the content was made using a fraudulent UserID". If not, then I apologise because I don't know of anything else which meets this description. If that is what you are referring to, then I think you will understand when I say that I have minimal sympathy for those creators. If you're an innocent bystander who has been affected by this then I am sorry to hear that, but you'll need to take it up with the people who created the content. Again, we're aware of a small handful of issues where content previously provided as built-in is affected by this, and we are actively working with the creators to resolve that.

kind regards,

chris

Regardless of what WindWlkr wants to pretend, there was NO MENTION that installing this SP would FORCE people to have to re download their DLC. All that was obviously mentioned was that you could turn this "feature" off if you did not like it.

"But so far people seem to be figuring out their problems pretty quickly and getting on with the business of playing the game." Tell that to the people that can't couple their locos/rolling stock after installing your patch. Tell that to the people that cannot use their DLC because they cannot download it again due to bandwidth or connectivity issues. Tell that to the people that cannot use their DLC because it does not have a thumbnail. Tell that to the people that cannot use their DLC because of KUID issues. These are all issues entirely related to the SP, not one-off situations encountered by a select few users.

"
If you don't want to upgrade to the new way of doing things, you're completely free to continue to use your old version of Trainz and old versions of the various addon packs." And you made this knowledge available to the users in the announcement of the SP? Not buried somewhere in a changelog, but right up front in the announcement of the SP's availability?

As I stated, I was smart enough not to install this SP on my working copy of Trainz. None of the issues that I have mentioned are affecting me other than that I understand the frustration of people that have been left high and dry after installing the SP. You could have OBVIOUSLY WARNED people that redownloading their DLC would be MANDATORY if they wanted to use it after installing the SP. That would have allowed people to make an INFORMED DECISION regarding the timing of installing the SP.

The other users that are 'smart' enough not to rush to install any new SP are those that have seen it all before. Four SPs for TRS04 anyone?

It's always a shame when those who have valid points to make use an aggressive, hectoring tone. It adds no more force to the argument and puts off those who prefer to take a balanced view on the problems of patching complicated software.

I think most of your points have already been replied to well enough already, but there was some things I'd just like to add.

As for the issue with derailing while coupling, which N3V announced 49 minutes after they announced the patch, a responsible company would have pulled the patch. How in the world they concluded "While we acknowledge that this has the potential to be a serious issue, we believe it doesn't not warrant taking down the patch at this time." is beyond cogent comprehension. Seriously, locos/rolling stock derailing due to a patch problem does not warrant pulling the patch? Does N3V understand that you NEED to couple locos/rolling stock in order to use them?

I made that post 49 minutes after making the post about SP1, but several hours after starting the process of getting this patch ready for release. We literally only became aware of how potentially problematic it was as we were ready to make the release post for SP1, and even then we debated quite a lot as to whether to delay SP1 again to fix is first. The keywords here are "potentially problematic". The derailing issue did not happen with all loco's, rolling stock, only a small subset of them. It had the potential to cause problems, but for most routes/sessions it would not. We made a decision and decided that we were better off fixing this by a hotfix patch rather than hold up release.

In combination to this, experience has shown that there are always hiccups when it comes to SP releases. We were prepared to do a hotfix if necessary, should there be some kind of unforeseen problem that our in-house QA and beta testers missed. We are still looking into problems people are reporting now to ensure that if there is a major issue, we can get it fixed for the hotfix as well. Releasing this build now, gives users a chance to identify these problems early. If we did another SP1 candidate, spent another week ensuring this know issue is fixed and the build seemed good enough to release, we'd still have to address those issues a week later.

For what its worth, we've done significant testing with our fix over the last two days and we have resolved this issue in our internal build. We will be continuing to test build integrity over the weekend, and are still on track to release the hotfix mid next week.

I appreciate that you might feel that way, but I can assure you both our in-house QA, and our generous volunteer beta testers have been working very hard over the last 6 months to ensure SP1 is as solid as possible. I also appreciate that you're very passionate about Trainz, and quite personally I would prefer people to let us know when things are wrong so we can do something about it. However, there are better ways to get your point across. If you've had issues with patching, or the game post patch, rather than complain about it why not highlight what those problems are in a way that we might be able to actually do something about them? So far I don't think you've pointed out anything legitimately wrong that we don't already know about, and in that case (the derailing issue) you've overstated how bad of an issue it is.

If you would legitimately like to change Trainz for the better, we will be doing another call for beta testers in the coming months. Perhaps you could sign up and help us catch these problems in the future?

I see no evidence of N3V working overtime to fix the mess that this SP has caused. They are not watching the forums during off hours, offering solutions to those that have been screwed by installing it. For the derailing issue, they said it would be next week AT BEST for them to provide a hotfix. It would appear by their overall absence in the forums that they are sitting by the barbie laughing at the fools that installed their POS SP1. When a responsible company screws up this badly, they spend the money and invest the human capital to fix it NOW, not "
If all goes well we will be making an additional hotfix patch for SP1 to rectify this issue and releasing it by the middle of next week." That statement alone proves that they are nonplussed by the issues that their SP has caused. If they truly have "identified the issue and are testing a possible fix now" it would not take them a week to release the hotfix to fix the SP.
Prior to release I'd been up 3 nights in a row til 2 AM to directly converse with some beta testers in the US regarding a possible critical issue. Last night I was up til 12am testing the fix and monitoring/replying on the forums. It's already 1 hr past home-time tonight and I'll still be here for a while. This also says nothing about the weekends and overtime leading up to release as well, or all the overtime the rest of the staff have done.

In regards to taking a week to test the fix though, our reasons are two fold:

For a start, the fix for the derailing issue has the potential to affect all driving functionality in Trainz. Obviously, we don't want to make a fix that merely breaks another piece of functionality, so we need to ensure that all aspects of driving work correctly with this new fix. I'm sure you can appreciate that may take some time.

Secondly, as I mentioned previously experience has dictated that there will always be issues at release. We were prepared to do a hotfix to catch those issues, but we need to identify them and fix them first. We had hoped to be able to do this and have the fixes tested before mid next week as well.

Come on N3V, show the least amount of integrity and pull your broken SP, unabashedly apologize to your customers, compensate them in some way, and actually LEARN from this fiasco. It took you far too long to release this SP to have it be broken this badly. Either someone in your marketing department or someone in your software development department is asleep at the wheel for this to have happened.

We've learnt plenty from our past releases and I'm sure we'll learn plenty here as well. I know in other posts you've claimed we're hiding, but I'm pretty sure this is the most active the dev team's been in the main forum for a while. We're not ignoring anything that's going on here, we're just trying to be constructive about things rather than resorting to hyperbole. We would be very appreciative if you could do the same as well.

Back