Forum Code of Conduct - Enforcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony_Hilliam

Trainz Plus - enjoy Trainz from just 20 cents a da
At the top of the forums is a tab called Code of Conduct. I've hyperlinked to it as well. This code of conduct starts off with two simple sentences:

Our goal is to ensure that N3V's online forums and chat channels are welcoming environments where people can come together and discuss relevant subjects and topics in a friendly and non-aggressive environment. The purpose of this code of conduct is to ensure that users can participate in the forums and chats without being "flamed", personally attacked, harassed or be exposed to inappropriate materials.

The rest of the CoC identifies in more detail what this simple message means, but ultimately, when in doubt, re-read the opening two sentences. We have recently seen an escalation in the flaming, personal attacks, name calling, threats, accusations, aggression and all-in-all "non-friendly" behaviour. Much of this has also been due to things that have happened in other forums. Simply put, we have had enough of this sort of behaviour and all Moderators will be taking a much tougher stance for a period of time.

For those that are too lazy to read the CoC, here is the key point relating to disruptive behaviour:

Submitting messages that are inflammatory and made simply with the intent to provoke disruption to the forum or chat room and encourage, incite or continue "flame" messages. "Trolling" and baiting will not be tolerated. Messages that are disruptive and destructive in character will not be tolerated. Flaming is deemed to include insulting, personally directed criticisms and/or messages that include comments aimed to incite anger. Trolling is deemed to include messages aimed to incite disruption or stir up trouble. For example, posting to a thread or starting a thread without the intent to contribute positive suggestions or comments. Instead, the aim is negative and disruptive comments.

If someone has said something about you, whilst it may make you feel better temporarily by talking back at them on our forums, you will be punished equally if you break our forums rules.

To avoid being banned, it is quite simple - be NICE!

Tony Hilliam

I Agree its about time the forums have more Moderation

I dont want this froum to go like the last forums :'( there was a lot of information that the comunity has lost.

Poul

Oh Tony you should have made this a sticky :)

Last edited:
Problem is by making it a sticky it less likely to be viewed
I Agree its about time the forums have more Moderation

I dont want this froum to go like the last forums :'( there was a lot of information that the comunity has lost.

Poul

Oh Tony you should have made this a sticky :)

Tony - you may also want to add it to Auran Announcements as well if it's not already, as that will increase the exposure (and possibly in the Newsletter as well).

I've said a few times that there's things that happen here that should not be happening, and clearly break the CoC.

Shane

P.S. How does one become part of the moderation team? I'd like to help sort some of the problems like that out.

Last edited:
Thanks Tony. This does seem very necessary as of late.

Lets get this place back to how it used to be.

P.S. How does one become part of the moderation team? I'd like to help sort some of the problems like that out.

Moderators are chosen by us, based on multiple factors, and if we feel we require further moderators. We generally do not choose people who ask to be moderators. This has been the case for many years, and has been stated quite a few times.

Regards

Fair enough - I was wondering what factors were involved. I help moderate another Trainz-related forum so I was just interested.

I do understand if I have gone about it wrongly though.

Shane

Thank you, Tony for doing this.

Sadly, the chemistry of the forums here has changed over the years as newer generations come in. Many of the newer folks seem to be from a generation that shows little respect for others. They feel they can hide behind their username and IP address and bully other people.

I was brought up to treat people the way I want to be treated. This goes a long way in life and not just in the forums here.

John

Thank you, Tony

About time we get some law and order on this forum I was really getting tired of all the fighting going on here lately.

Last edited:
Thank you for stepping in.

As a newbie I've become very discouraged and appalled by the antics that happen here. I hope your actions will return our focus to having fun and sharing that fun.

When I turn to these pages, I'm looking for help. I don't have the benefit of years of Trainz experience. This girl just wants to have fun. I'm not here to deprive you of money or prestige. I'm not here to be your mommy. I just want to enjoy Trains and Trainz. Will you help me enjoy Trainz more?

I've felt ridiculed for not knowing about the Black Pages, or that when I download freeware content that I'd have to learn to google to complete a route, scenario, or asset. Searching for missing assets has detracted from having fun and became massively time consuming. I need help with so many things. Sadly less and less, I turn to these pages. Is it reasonable for me to return to these pages and receive the benefit of your experiences?

I am teachable. When I started using the CSX Saginaw Sub Scenarios, I didn't know much. I asked "why?" a lot. I know even less about how trains operate in Europe, Australia, or Asia. You can teach me here. Will you help me learn? What's different? What's the same? What are the prototype rules? How is a metro system different from a Class I freight rail road?

For those who insist on affixing blame, please consider what YOU bring to the exchange, and I will try not to take your remarks as ridicule. May I count on your help?

Developers thank you for a fine base product and many add-ins. Sages, thanks for sharing your experiences. And everyone thanks for making Trainz a better experience.

What a excellent post Rivkah and yes, I too do not watch the forums as much because of the underlying nastiness that goes on(sometimes)Well done Tony and be firm.baz

Sorry can I ask when is this big crack down going to start I have seen so many people breaching the COC on sig banner sizes its not funny.

Feels a bit like discrimination to me that only some people get warnings about their banner sizes and not others. I do hope not as there is laws about this.

How about a moratorium of say a week for people to to get them re-sizeed and then start giving warnings.

The main problem is that people are not reporting oversized banners so the moderators are not always aware of them, especially if it's a user with only a few posts to their name.

Shane

I report every one I see, but nothing ever seems to happen. 3 weeks later the sigs are still there
The main problem is that people are not reporting oversized banners so the moderators are not always aware of them, especially if it's a user with only a few posts to their name.

Shane

Last edited:
I report every one I see, but nothing ever seems to happen. 3 weeks later the sigs are still there

You can always go to Forum Actions>General Settings>Thread Display Options(Visible Post Elements) and uncheck the Show Signatures box.

That will hide the lot. It also makes for a faster, less cluttered read when using the Forum.

Does not solve the issue of the selective nature of the issuing of warnings that has happen
You can always go to Forum Actions>General Settings>Thread Display Options(Visible Post Elements) and uncheck the Show Signatures box.

That will hide the lot. It also makes for a faster, less cluttered read when using the Forum.

As one who has been lurking about these Forums since 2004, I can say that I've seen some considerable change in its demeanor in that time. I'm not saying it has diminished in its goal to bring together an international community with a common passion for Trainz. But it certainly has lost much in its light hearted playfulness and sense of humor. Trainz is, after all, simply a fun hobby for the greater part of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back