Saving a schedule

thisdude

Hi,

I have a very lengthy driver schedule.

Is there any way to save the schedule so I can reload it with another train without having to put it in manually?

Thanks!

Jim

You need to create a session.

At the Driver/Surveyor menu screen, select your route you want to create a session for.

Click on View sessions.

Click on Create Session.

The view will be exactly like Surveyor where you edited your route, which it really is. Instead of editing route, such as placing trees or fiddling with track, place your trains you want to drive as well as place consists around such as extra boxcars, tank cars, gondolas, passenger cars, etc.

You can also place complete consists, or just some individual locomotives, or both as I do.

I recommend creating your own consists by placing a locomotive down and adding in the freight cars, or passenger cars to make up the train. You can then save that consist for later use, which I do.

Once placed, the locos and consists, click on Edit Session.

Click on Edit and choose Edit Session... This is found on the upper bar on the left and appears as a pencil in paper on the very tiny icon.

Click on Driver Setup.

Assign your commands.

There are options here such as remove all existing drivers first. Generate new drivers for empty trains, and focus camera on first driver.

These are optional and choose what will work for you. For now, leave as they are because you can always change things later.

After you're done, click on the check-mark to close the window. Click the checkmark to close the Edit Session screen.

Save...

You maybe asked to save both the route and session at this time. Do so.

You can drive your session right now using the Unified Surveyor Driver mode, or you can close everything and go back to the main menu again where you can select your route and session and drive later on.

Hope this helps.

John,

This is what I've been doing but when I switch trains or drivers the schedule disappears. Sometimes after editing the schedule disappears also.

Graham,

Where do I find the "schedule library" to add the commands?

The Schedule Library is a session rule, you'll have to download it from the DLS (if you haven't already) and add it to your session rules in the "edit session" dialog.

I searched for schedule library & it found 3 items already installed so I am assuming I have it.
In edit session I found "schedule rule" when I clicked the add button. I don't see where to add the commands however.

It should be "Schedule Library", directly above "Schedule Rule" when you click the add button. It's <kuid2:192081:12:5> if that helps?

Graham,

Where do I find the "schedule library" to add the commands?

The Schedule Library is built-in.

At the Session Edit session screen, you click on Add Rule.

Scroll the list until you find the Schedule Library.
Click the box next to it.

While you're there, you need to add in the Copy Commands from... driver command. Click on driver commands and add in the Copy Commands from...

How to use:

In the Schedule Library, add in all your commands as if you are adding in commands directly into the driver menu bar. There is one exception. DO NOT add the repeat command here.

In the Schedule Library, you can name, rename and even copy the schedules. The ability to copy is very helpful if you have more than one similar schedule for multiple drivers. You copy then modify as needed. A good example for this is a passenger commuter schedule where everyone leaves North Station and stop at Atten Hill, Buxley, Whipple Street, and Putney, but other trains continue on at Putney junction to other destinations. You can copy the schedule and then change and add as needed for the additional station stops.

Once you've created your schedules, you then use the Copy Commands from driver command to implement them.

In the Driver setup where you edit the driver's instructions, you need to place a Wait... 20 seconds at the beginning to give the commands to load up and settle in. I also use this for other commands too such as instant load, or whatever else is needed.

You then place the Copy Commands from.

Here you pick Insert from Library and choose your schedule.

Over the years, we have found that both append and insert from driver are a bit quirky and unreliable so choose the insert from schedule.

You can append schedules after one another easily by repeating the copy commands from... insert schedule from library as needed. Just remember to put a wait... 20 secs in between because loading up the commands in one shot can cause odd things to occur.

This rule and command are a great asset combination that work well with portals as well. Instead of adding the individual track marks, and all the individual commands for each driver, use the Copy Commands from and be done with it in one shot. There's another great thing about this command-rule combo, that I forgot to mention. Once the commands expand in the driver's command queue, like adding water to a tiny sponge, you can edit these on the fly should you want to change things. You can also add in one of your schedules to any driver you wish to control on the fly as well. I do this all the time.

Hope this helps.

It was missing a dependency so got that & I can use the schedule library now. I printed the instructions from above.
Thanks for all the replies...appreciate it!

Very detailed set of instructions, confirming how I operate for many years. However, I have two same routes. One is for electrics/diesels and the other for old steam. Basically they are the same layout but the other have many assets only related to steam old times. I found it to be better than to have two sessions of the same route. So, the point is that a schedule library of a diesel is about the same as for a steam train. I have not been able to move one schedule in a session to another session of a different route. What is described in detail above works very well between sessions off the same route. Is it possible to copy a schedule to be used on another route/session?

Very detailed set of instructions, confirming how I operate for many years. However, I have two same routes. One is for electrics/diesels and the other for old steam. Basically they are the same layout but the other have many assets only related to steam old times. I found it to be better than to have two sessions of the same route. So, the point is that a schedule library of a diesel is about the same as for a steam train. I have not been able to move one schedule in a session to another session of a different route. What is described in detail above works very well between sessions off the same route. Is it possible to copy a schedule to be used on another route/session?

Go to the session editing screen and highlight the Schedule Rule.
Right-click and pick Copy or highlight and press CTRL+C at the same time.

Open your new session and edit the session...

At the Session editing screen, press CTRL-V, or right-click and choose paste.

Long ago I was aware of this method (I think from one of your posts). But, doing this I copy the whole schedule library. Can it be done for just one of the schedules inside of the library? Those, can't be highlighted. Of course I can copy everything and delete just what I don't need, but that is the long way around.

Long ago I was aware of this method (I think from one of your posts). But, doing this I copy the whole schedule library. Can it be done for just one of the schedules inside of the library? Those, can't be highlighted. Of course I can copy everything and delete just what I don't need, but that is the long way around.

Unfortunately, no because the information is embedded in a binary file. I found this out because I went looking for the information to do exactly what you're looking to do.

Back