Multiple Industry New, - what's the secret?

KotangaGirl

Pre-Grouping Railways Nut
I have never been able to get the Multiple Industry New interactive tracks to operate in either TS2012 or TS2019. I fill out the product menu, I fill out what is inwards and what is outwards products and whatever else needs to be configured in the menu; - I then make sure my goods wagons are set up for the same products, - but when I shunt that train of wagons over the interactive track the DCC control disappears forever and nothing happens. I have made so many attempts at this and heartily fed up I've gone back to using LARS and Proto-LARS tracks because they do what they say on the tin and just work without any fuss.

So what needs to be done to make these tracks work? - a sacrifice to Moloch perhaps? Plainly its an arcane mystery only revealed to a select few and I'm not one of them.

Your description points to one setting that is not properly configured. Go to very basics: Use Auran general goods. Nothing else. Have a flat wagon that accepts this commodity, and you can artificially load and see the boxes loaded on it. Fill the queue of the M.I.N. with this commodity (nothing else). Do this on the upper queue list (1). Now go to Tracks and select this commodity. You should leave it on "Load only", and important, below see queue 1. If it says None, it will do what you describe! Now, in driver, move, with a loco, the flat car over the M.I.N. and stop it. Commodity should load and been seen. If it does not, tell Help Desk. Further, if you have several queues, the upper, the one below (2), (3) and more to the bottom, and in Tracks one of them says None, it will do what you describe, so be careful here. Don't feel outcast, I haven't seen this anywhere (other than here in the forums time ago), and I would say it should mentioned in the operating manual. The peculiarity has been with us for as long as I can remember on the earlier versions of the game.

The other thing with M.I.N. is that if you get the timeout in the tracks section that wont display the commodity. You can disregard it and enter the commodity in the correct section in Product and the track will work normally. This problem has been overcome in SP3 and I presume 2019, as I don't have that. It still happens sometimes with certain commodities though in SP3.
What I like about M.I.N. is that using the 10M track you can load and unload just one wagon at a time.
Cheers,
Mike

The other thing with M.I.N. is that if you get the timeout in the tracks section that wont display the commodity. You can disregard it and enter the commodity in the correct section in Product and the track will work normally. This problem has been overcome in SP3 and I presume 2019, as I don't have that. It still happens sometimes with certain commodities though in SP3.
What I like about M.I.N. is that using the 10M track you can load and unload just one wagon at a time.
Cheers,
Mike
As it is now I see only one M.I.N. (with red arrows), it is long and it works more or less as intended. But a 10m? The only ones at 10, 20 and longer are the ones with green arrows. On these, I can have 4 commodities max. Pass that and it freezes for good, and you have to re-install. This issue has come up several times in the forums. What is the KUID of the one at 10m? and can you load more than 4 commodities? A second observation is that the one with red arrow can't be height adjusted, but the ones with green can. I overcame this adding a line in the config file, and then it can be adjusted. In fact, this solution is valid for any object that "does not allow height adjustment". Cheers.

Well I did manage to load a short train of wagons and for a moment I thought I was successful, but then I couldn't get my locomotive back under my control because the DCC control never came back. Very frustrating to say the least.

At the right of your screen, you have a tab with a wheel. Open it. Find the loco you lost control, and delete it from the route, then insert the "new" one. Does it work? You did not mention if the list of commodities had the fastidious "None", and you were able to assign a Queue. I could write a whole page on these industries, but someone has already done that; I forgot where. Perhaps someone can shed a light as to where to find it?

Note: At this stage, use only one car and a loco. Manually driven. Populate Queue and tracks tabs (the others are somewhat irrelevant at this point for testing). Use only one commodity. If it fails, make a short test track with an industry and try again there.

KotangaGirl - Make sure you're using the latest (version 4.5 build) of <kuid:-25:1224> Multiple_Industry_New.
Put a large amount of the commodity you wish to unload into the Queue. Make sure your wagons can carry/ deliver this commodity and load them with it in Edit Session mode under the Trains (F7) tab.
In the settings for Multiple_Industry_New', set the Tracks tab for 'Queue 1 to that commodity, then toggle the command to the right so that it says 'Unload from vehicle'
In the Processes tab, select the commodity you're wanting to unload and set it to consume at least one unit per 30 seconds period.
In the final, 'Products' tab, select the commodity again and choose an appropriate 'unit' type (Litres, tonnes or Items). In the case of General Goods, for example, choose 'Items'. You can also specify the particular delivery or pickup wagon if required, but it is best to ignore this for now...)

Last edited:
Well that worked. I set up a goods platform to load pencil's general goods and nothing else, made sure I had all the menus properly filled in before testing, - and I ended up with a train of loaded wagons. And as a bonus I got to drive my locomotive away with the loaded wagons.
But seriously it seem to me like M.I.N. is a buggy mess. I have LARS tracks at the harbour on my layout. I set them all up months ago and they just work reliably every time without any fuss. They're set up for a variety of loads too and if I shunt a train of wagons through they all get the right loads every time with no glitches.
I'll keep the M.I.N. tracks where they are for the present time, but it's plain they have to be instructed with words of one syllable and can be expected to do only one thing and nothing else. Their only real advantage is that they can be set up for custom loads/products which of course the LARS tracks can't.

It is possible to clone PLs and set them up for different products. I did this for many years in 2004 and 2010.
Cheers,
Mike

The big advantage of the Protolars system, I think, is the time loading/unloading of an entire consist with the locomotive uncoupled. But I really like JR's modified M.I.N., but it does not function correctly since T:ANE.

John

Well I went ahead and made a cloned version of a ProtoLARS track that I set up to load and unload the products I specifically use on my layout. And it works, - no fuss, no bother. No lengthy bothersome menus and having to remember to keep the fingers of your left hand crossed and checking the phase of the moon before attempting to set a M.I.N. track up.
So all the M.I.N. tracks will be going which will be a bit of a pain with removing them from around six or so station goods yards, but it's no good having them on my layout IF THEY DON'T WORK!

Glad to be of help. I use M.I.N. because of the 10M loading one car at a time on the move at places using long consists. The PL is good for dropping a short consist then coming back later. Most of my sessions are fully auto, so it is a bit hard to get the timing just right for a consist that has to load and leave.
Cheers,
Mike

Dropping off a short train of wagons and coming back later is very much the usual kind of thing on my English minor railway so PL is perfect for me.
And thanks again Mike for putting the idea into my head to have a go at cloning my own PL track.

I have been fighting the PL industry issues. Using the payware Hinton route that has non-working industries in the original install. You can get it to work but the the instructions are imprecise. I would suggest that things like the PL stuff should include a working example the customer could install and then work from it for their objectives. Add to that, N3V constantly changing the code and you have to be lucky to get it to work.

I will take another shot at LARS.I hope N3V keeps its hand off of the code that supports it.

I'm using my clone PL track in TS2012 so I think it's fairly safe from N3V wanting to fiddle with the code. I have TS2019 and like it, but I build my own routes in TS2012 because I have so much old (but good) engines and rolling stock that I don't fancy having to mess about with to get them to work in TS2019.

I will admit I had to do a lot of staring at things in the config file in order to figure out what to do, but we got there in the end.

Which is the simplest to use do you know Annie, LARS or ProtoLARS.

Never bothered much with setting up industries. But i guess it could make things more interesting.

Mike.

So far Mike I've found them to be about the same to use in practical terms. I set them up to load or unload a product and they just do it. I set up the loading tracks in the harbour on my layout months ago and have never had to touch them since.

Back