Article: Ground Clutter - the easy way

World building will change radically for the better once all these advancements (PBR shaders, height-mapped textures and now clutter mesh painting) are in place. Dare I dream about what else you might have in store - vertical splines, overhanging cliffs in the ground mesh, sea water with surf?

Yes, yes, yes. Did mention yes? Looking forward to this and many more enhancements. Excellent work.

It looks like N3V is vigorously updating TANE to be on par with TSW... At this rate Trainz would have the upper hand by the time the new content creation features are utilized and routes updated. :udrool:

Haven't we had clutter textures in the past? I clearly remember a grass texture that had 3D grass that got cluttered around when you painted it.

Yes, but I'm guessing this is independent of the ground texture. The old clutter meshes tended to disappear at a fairly close range, also.

And it looked dreadful, no comparison with what N3V are planning.

I only know of one that ever got made, and it was by Auran... Someone could have made a better looking one. It was also pre-LOD (or at least pre-mainstream use of LOD), I'd think with some LOD it would stick around longer.

peter

A much-needed improvement to the redundancy currently present within our routes... as much as we all try to hide it!

I only know of one that ever got made, and it was by Auran... Someone could have made a better looking one. It was also pre-LOD (or at least pre-mainstream use of LOD), I'd think with some LOD it would stick around longer.

peter

There were several. Dmdrake made some, for one. Lod was hard-coded, and cut out way too soon - it was a jarring transition. We did have LoD back then; there was even an in-depth tutorial on how to set up a locomotive with it in the '04 CCG.

This looks like an improvement; I'm looking forward to it.

Curtis

World building will change radically for the better once all these advancements (PBR shaders, height-mapped textures and now clutter mesh painting) are in place. Dare I dream about what else you might have in store - vertical splines, overhanging cliffs in the ground mesh, sea water with surf?
Well, I am still impatiently awaiting the day that I can create the world in which I want to live, and then to step into it and stay there! ;)

It looks like they are getting closer!

Excellent development - not quite autogen but a significant improvement over current methods for applying fine detail.

Back