I'm back (sort of)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bendorsey

Bridge-n-trestle builder
Hi Folks:

If anyone has been trying to contact me I just got out of the hospital after 4 days (stomach ulcer). Meds will make me a bit lethargic so "production" of things for folks will be a bit slow for a while. Prognosis is fine but will take a while.

They really did wake me up in the middle of the night to give me a sleeping pill, lol. Considering someone came in every hour and a half to do this and that I think total knock out drops would have been better. Treating me like a slab of meat and letting me sleep would have been a lot nicer. I haven't really slept since Friday (and guess where I'm going now, lol).

Catch ya'll later.

Ben

I thought you had been a bit quiet lately. I hope you have a speedy recovery and enjoy Christmas as best you can.

Regards

Ouch! that doesn't sound like much fun. Glad they fixed you up, wishing you a quick and pain free recovery.

Good to see you back, Ben. However, I hate to rain on your party, but TANE SP2HF1 has caused problems with your cars. I've noticed that the wheels on your White Pass & Yukon flatcars have ended up in the center of the trucks. Anyway, hope nothing else happens to you.
Oh, and also, I'm epileptic and made a thread back at the end of August called 'A Recent Health Event,' where I talked about a seizure I had. I have those grand mal seizures, which means I completely lose consciousness, and have no idea what's going on during a seizure. So last week on Thursday, the 14th, I had a seizure while walking the dog. I don't know what happened during the seizure, so the following is what I was told afterward. I ended up falling flat, face first, onto the asphalt road I live on. A nurse saw me and checked me out. Our dog wouldn't let her get anywhere near me, but was eventually able to get him away from me to check me out. Apparently, she didn't feel a pulse, so she called emergency services. In my opinion, she probably didn't feel it because I was wearing a toboggan, a heavy jacket (which was zipped up), and gloves. During the event, one of my neighbors saw what was going on and stopped to see what was going on. She called my parents and they dropped what they were doing and headed home, probably breaking the speed limit and running stop signs and red lights on the way. When I came out, I felt that our dog had wrapped himself around my leg and was helped walking back home. Soon after I got home, the EMTs came. Luckily I didn't go to the hospital, though I did end up with some scrapes on my right hand and nose from falling down on the asphalt. By the time my parents came home, I was back to normal, like the seizure never happened. However, the next day I had to work. When we got to McDonald's to get some breakfast, I had a spitting headache. When I told my dad that, he said I probably had a concussion when I had my seizure. Anyway, I'm feeling just fine and am going to my general physician today (yay).

Last edited:
Thanks for all the kind words guys. Update below.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jordan412:
Yes - I noticed that and frankly I don't see why I should have to fix what N3V screwed up. Its also not just the WP&Y cars - its a bunch of the URY cars as well as cars made by other folks. Frankly I'm fed up with every supposed "improvement" wrecking content which was working just fine prior to the "improvement. These worked fine in TANE 2 weeks ago. This has been going on for years - when does it stop.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
UPDATE:
Doctor called and the ulcer is cancerous. Not spreading as yet but it will have to be removed ASAP before it does so - o-joy - I get to spend a few more days in the hospital in a week or so I'd guess. Wife and daughter are hiding it well but I can see they are upset. I'm not as I'm a pretty laid back dude (even without a beer, lol).

I'm 74 but I've never smoked, cholesterol is low, and heart is good so I am a very good risk for surgery. Be a bit sore for a week or so afterwards but otherwise not really as big a deal as it might sound (or at least not to me).

Biggest pain so far is filling out the reams and reams of paperwork. They want to know everything - even the last time I scratched my butt, lol.

Ben

Ben, check your E-Mail. I just sent you an E-Mail with a file attached to it that might be of interest to you.

Hi Folks:

I have an update on my condition but be warned its a little bit gross. Not terribly so but there a is a certain amount of "yuk" involved.

Let me know if anyone is interested. I have no problem telling all my Trainzer friends what's going on.

Ben

Hi Ben,
As someone who has been under the knife far too many times I can sympathise with you.
I can't have a full anaesthetic anymore.
When they finally took my leg off I could only have a Twilight one. I could hear the saw as they chopped it off.
Best wishes for what is coming.
Cheers,
Mike

Hi Folks:

If anyone has been trying to contact me I just got out of the hospital after 4 days (stomach ulcer). Meds will make me a bit lethargic so "production" of things for folks will be a bit slow for a while. Prognosis is fine but will take a while.

They really did wake me up in the middle of the night to give me a sleeping pill, lol. Considering someone came in every hour and a half to do this and that I think total knock out drops would have been better. Treating me like a slab of meat and letting me sleep would have been a lot nicer. I haven't really slept since Friday (and guess where I'm going now, lol).

Catch ya'll later.

Ben

Hello my dear net-friend!
Hoping for a speedy recovery, Ben!
Honestly, sir, you're one o the pioneers creators of this community!
Happy to see you around these parks!
Take Care!!!
Ish

Wishing you a good recovery, Prayers being sent out to those in need.

My Lord have mercy, I just read the last few days of this Thread,

I have had a bad bout of Sciatica for the last 2 months, but having Grand Mal Seizures, Cancer in the Stomach, well my Sciatica pales in comparison, so I ask the good lord to be with all of you and help you recover.........I will also say prayers when I go to Church this weekend as well, god speed a quick and healthy recovery to all of you.:wave:

Hope all goes well with the surgery and then rest up. We shall be waiting to welcome you back when you are healed and back in good shape. Take care!!

Again thanks for all the kind words.

I figure the next 3 months are going to complex and confusing as all get out plus depending on what procedure I'm undergoing at the time I will be in and out of making things for Trainz like a revolving door. I have a pretty good backlog at the moment so I would request folks not ask me to make anything else until I say the backlog is cleared and ok to do so. Darn - will take me longer to get 7000 items the DLS this way won't it, lol.

Update:
The actual surgery is 4 to 6 weeks away.

Next is to have an ultra sound scan of the tumor. This tells the surgeon(s) exactly how it is configured and how far it has gone into the stomach wall. As I understand it this is only a half hour procedure probably done in a doctors office or a hospital as an outpatient.

Following that is both radiation directed right at the tumor and then chemo which seems to be for the surrounding area. Not really sure which will occur first. I doubt they would do both at the same time (but who knows).

When all the info is in the surgical team gets together to plot out the exact sequence of the operation. What I do know is there will be 4 separate incisions (which makes sense when you consider what they are going to do). What are they going to do?

Totally remove my stomach then connect the top of the duodenum to the bottom of the esophagus. Yup - that's s big yuk, lol. Its a 4 to 6 hour procedure.

I will be kept sedated (zonked out) for at least 4 days following the procedure. This promotes healing and even if I was awake I'll be so doped up I probably couldn't find my butt with both hands if I was sitting on them.

Then they start feeding me normal food. Liquids at first, then semi-solid food, the solid food.

Since I no longer have a stomach to act as a reservoir for food I will only be able to eat 4 to 5 ounces of food at a time every hour or so (which means I get to be a snack monster - bring on the junk food, lol).

On the lighter side I will no longer be able to burp, hiccup, or throw up (the latter makes me wonder what happens if I eat a bad shrimp). Guess I will find out when the time comes.

I suspect I will not have much in the way of dietary restrictions as my small and large intestines are still there and working as normal. Perhaps I might have to chew my food a bit more to break it up so as to increase its surface area as an aid to digestion.

All in all its going to be an interesting 3 months (yeah right, lol).

So that's the straight skinny folks. Will keep you informed.

Ben

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back