Installing TANE on new laptop

No just copy it all over. You might need to put the serial number in again.

Cheerio John

here do I find the serial number?
W

(why is it every time a reply with a quote, when I start typing the first letter of my sentence looks like this^?)

Good Afternoon Dave
If you have a boxed DVD edition, the serial number will be on the back of the manual. If you are using a digital download edition, then no serial number will be required. Instead, you will need to ensure that you have entered your username and password into the Trainz Settings. There is no limit on the number of times you can re-install Trainz (including when you get a new computer) :)

Please note, installed content is not stored in the Trainz installation by default, instead it is stored in the Windows 'AppData' location. The location is shown in the 'install' tab of the Trainz Settings if you wish to try copying this to your new computer.

Good Afternoon Dave
If you have a boxed DVD edition, the serial number will be on the back of the manual. If you are using a digital download edition, then no serial number will be required. Instead, you will need to ensure that you have entered your username and password into the Trainz Settings. There is no limit on the number of times you can re-install Trainz (including when you get a new computer) :)

Please note, installed content is not stored in the Trainz installation by default, instead it is stored in the Windows 'AppData' location. The location is shown in the 'install' tab of the Trainz Settings if you wish to try copying this to your new computer.

Thanks Zec. Do you mean just this:

C:\Users\Owner\AppData\Local\N3V Games\TANE\build vy1tctni1

Hi Dave
That's the one. Copy the 'build vy1tctni1' folder to your new computer, then copy the contents of it into the new 'build xxxxxxxxx' (it will be different name for the new computer as the folder name is generated randomly), then do a database repair. You should then see all of your content in-game.

Regards

Hi Dave
That's the one. Copy the 'build vy1tctni1' folder to your new computer, then copy the contents of it into the new 'build xxxxxxxxx' (it will be different name for the new computer as the folder name is generated randomly), then do a database repair. You should then see all of your content in-game.

Regards

Where do I put the 'build vy1tctni1' in my new computer? I looked in User, Owner, etc., but there's no folder called "appdata."

Where do I put the 'build vy1tctni1' in my new computer? I looked in User, Owner, etc., but there's no folder called "appdata."

You probably need to unhide it. By default Microsoft hides all the special folders to protect us from ourselves. Look in File Explorer and the View tab. I always tick "File name extensions" and "Hidden items". After that you should be able to navigate through your Windows user space.

Dave - Recommend create a new 'Userdata' folder inside your T:ANE base directory on the new installation and dump the contents of the build vy1tctni1 there. i.e. C:\TANE\Userdata for example.
These are your local data files and the folder should contain the following directories:
backups, cache, editing, libraries, local, original, packages, screenshots - plus some critical database files like: asset-cache.tdx, assets.tdx, keystore.tdx (and sometimes) crashdump.dmp.

Last edited:
Dave - Recommend create a new 'Userdata' folder inside your T:ANE base directory on the new installation and dump the contents of the build vy1tctni1 there. i.e. C:\TANE\Userdata for example.
These are your local data files and the folder should contain the following directories:
backups, cache, editing, libraries, local, original, packages, screenshots - plus some critical database files like: asset-cache.tdx, assets.tdx, keystore.tdx (and sometines) crashdump.dmp.

I created a new folder in C:\Program Files\ called "N3V Games" just like what I have on my desktop PC and put the "TANE" folder there. Is that where I put the 'Userdata' folder, in the TANE folder?

I'm getting kinda confused?

Yes - get it out of the arcane Users\<username>\Appdata directory (usually hidden) into something you can easily backup or copy/ view.
My preferred structure is to put the Userdata folder inside the main program directory (C:\TANE) and away from either the Program Files directory or the Users directory.
KISS is the principle - makes it easier for backups and file manipulation.
If you had this setup earlier, then all you would have needed to do is to COPY the entire TANE folder to your new laptop and then setup a new startup icon on your taskbar pointing to the tane.exe executable and then change the path to the Local Data folder in the Install tab of Trainz settings upon first run. (So simple!)

Last edited:
Well that didn’t work. I got TANE to open on my laptop, but I don’t see any of my downloaded content... just built in stuff. I’m more confused than ever

You may need to go into the TANE settings->Install and ensure the "Local data folder" is pointing to the location of your userdata.

I agree with PC_Ace. I don't have any of my TANE userdata installations in my user data space. They are one my D: drive with a folder name of my choice.

I agree too.

It's easier to access the content when doing repairs as well as for modifications and content creation.

I keep mine on my F: drive under a folder called TANE_DATA.

Okay, I finally got everything moved over and everything shows up in Content Manager and my routes show up in driver, but this laptop is nowhere near powerful enough to run TANE smoothly. I'm getting maybe one frame per second on my Cotton Belt Route. UGH!

Oh well, I mainly got the laptop to take with me on trips and stuff.

Try running "Offline" with Ethernet disconnected, or Wireless turned off

Turn off unneeded applications in Task Manager

Does it have an actual video card ... or is it an "on motherboard" integrated graphics CPU chip ?

Is it a brand new PC, bought from a BigBox Store ... or a second hand older model

Most lower end laptops will not run Trainz very well, if at all

If I went out to Staples and bought a brand new I7, $800 laptop, it would not run T:ANE very well, as it has no actual video card

Last edited:
Back