Question on Bulk Asset Replacement

Robert704

I have several situations where more than one kuid is used for what is essentially the same asset. This is mostly due to bringing a route from TRS2010 into TRS2019, where the asset was built-in to the new product and I had a modified equivalent on the old route. Most of these assets are signals or trackside components, and are named with custom names appropriate to identity their locations. I would like to rationalize my kuid list by replacing the old assets with the new built-in ones.

I have not used the bulk asset replacement capability. My question is this -- when I do a bulk asset replacement, is the property name of the old asset retained for the new one? If not, the job becomes a very large one, so perhaps this becomes a suggestion.

That is an interesting question. I have used the Bulk Asset Update and Replace Tool ever since it first appeared but only on unnamed assets (trees, track, buildings, etc).

I just tested it with named station signs, replacing several different signs (all with entered and displayed names) with a different type of station sign.

I can report that the entered names on the original assets were retained on the replacement assets. So all is good. However, if you replace an asset with a displayed name with one that does not display a name then the result will be predictable.

For named trackside objects, the information will be stored in the session even if you are in 'edit route'. Merge the session into the route and save before exit. It is likely that the object names will be lost on reload otherwise. A lesson learned from experience.
cheers
Graeme

For named trackside objects, the information will be stored in the session even if you are in 'edit route'. Merge the session into the route and save before exit.

I just tested that and there is no need to merge. I created a route and a session with a short track and two different signals (both in the route). I named both signals.

I used the bulk update/replace tool with the session loaded and both signals were replaced by a third. The original signal names were retained.

Repeated the above but only after loading just the route. The two signals still had their original names both before and after replacing.

So the names are stored in the route not the session but I did have an issue with this earlier in beta testing that whenever I changed the name of a route asset TRS19 insisted that I also save the session. I reported it as a bug but was assured that this is now necessary due to the United Driver Surveyor interface. I simply ignore the request to save the session after naming/renaming a route object and it has (so far) made no difference.

Thanks Peter, that's one less step in the process then. I too had trouble in the early release beta and merging was my workaround.
cheers
Graeme

That is an interesting question. I have used the Bulk Asset Update and Replace Tool ever since it first appeared but only on unnamed assets (trees, track, buildings, etc).

I just tested it with named station signs, replacing several different signs (all with entered and displayed names) with a different type of station sign.

I can report that the entered names on the original assets were retained on the replacement assets. So all is good. However, if you replace an asset with a displayed name with one that does not display a name then the result will be predictable.

Thank Peter. Knowing this will permit me to delete a lot of "modified" kuids, most of them were changed to update to later trainz revision levels. In some case three can be "replaced" into only one and the modified assets can be deleted. I am a big believer in standards, and the less "modified", the better!

Back