Check for/if missing assets before downloading from Download Station?

1611mac

- - . -
As a brand new user to any version of Trainz I find it frustrating to download a Route from the Download Station only to have many missing assets. I'm trying to learn how to find, download, and install missing assets, but as a newbie, it would be nice to be able to know BEFORE downloading how many missing assets a Route (or anything else) is going to have. Is there any tool to "bounce" (reconcile and report) assets needed against those in the standard install... or, an actual check against what assets are installed on my system?

Thanks in advice for your knowledge and replies.

Unfortunately the Download Station hasn't got any way of knowing exactly what assets you have installed from memory before downloading as any asset checks like that take place during the download/install process.

Shane

Thanks Shane...
I figured as much but it never hurts to ask. How great would it be if there were a two way interaction between the account holder's install and the download station so a comparison could be done interactively beforehand...

Welcome to Trainz
It is fairly simple to download and find most missing assets. Open manage content and you will get a list of installed assets. Click on the little black arrow to the left of the bar with installed in it and then click on the + on the far right of the new bar. Click on the asset kuid in the new window and scroll down to missing dependencies. A new window will open with all the missing assets. Select one and then go to edit on the menu bar and select all. They will all appear blue, right click on anyone and select download. CM will download and install them for you.
There is no way of knowing if there are missing assets because the DLS does not know what you have got installed. The route is just the basic boards and does not come with the assets already on it. The route you download will normally look for all the assets it requires and download them if you don't already have them.

stagecoach... Thanks much for the tips. After some reading it's my understanding that some assets never make it into the Download Station... correct?

I've downloaded a total of 4 routes and then deleted two.
- When a route is deleted will it's "missing dependencies" also be "deleted" (not appear in list). Or do "missing dependency" flags stay in db?
- When looking at "missing dependencies" I have about 800 of them now with only two active downloaded routes.

- When a route is deleted will it's "missing dependencies" also be "deleted" (not appear in list). Or do "missing dependency" flags stay in db?
- When looking at "missing dependencies" I have about 800 of them now with only two active downloaded routes.

When a route is downloaded that has missing dependencies and deleted, those missing dependencies will disappear with the deleted route. They are only referenced as missing by that route.

The missing dependencies are due to the route author including assets that are not available on the DLS. Check with the author(s) who created those routes. Sometimes the route creator will place a reference for content in the description box. If not you need to contact the author. You can send the author a PM, or open the config.txt file and get their email and or website info if it's provided.

There is a nifty little website that can assist you with missing dependencies. Check out the Trainz Kuid Index at www.trainzkuidindex.com This service is no longer free, however, and costs about $20 per year.

When a route is downloaded that has missing dependencies and deleted, those missing dependencies will disappear with the deleted route. They are only referenced as missing by that route.

The missing dependencies are due to the route author including assets that are not available on the DLS. Check with the author(s) who created those routes. Sometimes the route creator will place a reference for content in the description box. If not you need to contact the author. You can send the author a PM, or open the config.txt file and get their email and or website info if it's provided.

There is a nifty little website that can assist you with missing dependencies. Check out the Trainz Kuid Index at www.trainzkuidindex.com This service is no longer free, however, and costs about $20 per year.

Thanks for the answer and the tips.... Would you believe I actually found that website last night and joined..... I wanted to ask about this first here just to make sure I wasn't missing someting simple.

comments... (no reply necessary)
There is so much I have to learn! So many terms I don't know. I see a page of info like this and I am just lost....
http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/index.php/HowTo/Build_Procedural_Track_for_T:ANE

I was looking for a definition of "procedural track." Can't find one on all the web.... I see "Sleepers" "Chairs" etc etc.... I think there is enough here to learn for a long long time...

Thanks for your help everyone.

Unfortunately the Download Station hasn't got any way of knowing exactly what assets you have installed from memory before downloading as any asset checks like that take place during the download/install process.

Shane
If you download using content manager it checks to see if every dependency is installed and then downloads those that are not. If it can see what is installed and what is not it should also be able to tell you if one is unknown and ask if you want to continue.

The data base is only a list of the assets you have on your system. These include all the built in and downloaded assets. Missing means you don't have them on your system and unless they say unknown or payware they should be on the DLS. Some may come from third party sites and will show on the missing list as the content manager can only compare your assets to those on the DLS. A route can have hundreds of assets some routes have well over a thousand. One route I have has 1548 different ones.

mac --

Easy solution.

Only download the TRS19 layouts (both of them) by philskene. Only built-in or Download Station content - guaranteed. Not many downloads needed either.

Phil

@ 1611mac - There are two options when downloading a route (or any other asset): Download and Download this Version.

If you choose to Download this Version. the route file is the first file to download. Once installed, the download proceeds to find any assets that are not in your game.

What I do is to carefully watch the download. As soon as the route is installed, stop the download by closing the window then find the route using the Today filter and request a list of dependencies. Assets that are on the DLS are named; unknown assets are flagged as such.

Now you can judge how many assets are going to be missing. You can open the route and get an idea of how it is going to appear; make a decision to proceed to download the assets that are found on the DLS. This can be done selectively so that essential assets like Track is downloaded but leave out buildings and other non-essential scenery until you decide that the route is going to please you.

If you don't like the route then delete it. Any assets that you have downloaded remain in the game.

The same treatment can be applied to sessions which have their own list of dependencies, usually rolling stock but often additional scenery and commodities. A session usually needs all the dependent assets to be downloaded to allow it to function properly.

Procedural Track: In TS12 and earlier versions, junctions do not have moving blades, frogs or guardrails. TANE introduced the concept of procedural track, where animated blades make their appearance as a result of forming a junction.

Trevor

That is very interesting... I just watched the tutorial on using the asset filters, etc so this all makes complete sense. I did wonder what the diff was between download and download this version. Thanks very much for this tip! I'll give it a try.

It's amazing what can be learned just from casual dialog in YouTube video's also. I didn't know what a "sleeper" was but while watching a video it was mentioned a "sleeper," paused and then added, "That would be cross-tie" or "tie" for my friends in the States. I thought perhaps a "sleeper" was some Trainz techie name or something.... and it turns out to be a cross-tie! Made my day! :)

Back