Driveable Ships

Alikiwi

Apprentice Creator
I would like to adapt some ships (with permission) to make them driveable. Now I guessed (and confirmed) they need an invisible bogey added so they attach to invisible track. I figured this would require an attachment point added though checking the driveable yacht by Dave Snow, it doesn't appear to have one, but then the crew attachment points didn't show up in PEV Software, Attachment maker. So after hours of fiddling I'm no wiser.

1) Do they really need two bogies, as they should pivot somewhat forward of centre and
2) do they actually need an attachment? (I'd be surprised if they didn't).

Any tutorials, apart from the manual for the above software? Any tips appreciated.

The quickest way is to use the driveable superdaptor asset and attach a ship. Two bogies are required at some distance apart. Many years ago someone tried putting the bogies closer together and it would keep derailing. On each ship, you need to get the waterline and set the track attachment level 3m above it. This was the standard height set by Vulcan because it was easier to see the track and place boats. Track is water level plus 3m when placed down.

There a a number of driveable ships which run directly on invisible track, programmed and run in a similar way as you would a locomotive. Unfortunately the required track height vary a little between some assets but easily adjusted. Peter

I would like to adapt some ships (with permission) to make them driveable. Now I guessed (and confirmed) they need an invisible bogey added so they attach to invisible track. I figured this would require an attachment point added though checking the driveable yacht by Dave Snow, it doesn't appear to have one, but then the crew attachment points didn't show up in PEV Software, Attachment maker. So after hours of fiddling I'm no wiser.

1) Do they really need two bogies, as they should pivot somewhat forward of centre and
2) do they actually need an attachment? (I'd be surprised if they didn't).

Any tutorials, apart from the manual for the above software? Any tips appreciated.
------------------------

Interesting post. Apologies as my post has to be enigmatic unfortunately. Barry

------------------------

Interesting post. Apologies as my post has to be enigmatic unfortunately. Barry

Search under my kuid for locomotives and there you'll find some boats that Barry created in Blender, all driveable and a few others besides.

Cheerio John

Thanks for the replies. I did get it down to one error - <kuid:850934:100537> VE76: Unable to load mesh file: 'a.invisbogie.im'. That is what I called the attachment point, but the attach_mesh.im file is present. Looks like I may have to consider 2 bogies rather than one and change the attachment point/s accordingly, and raise them 3metres above the water line.

There are 3 boat levels from the water height level, -7m the original level but because the track was 7m below the water it was hard to see and place boats on the track. 0m was used on some canal barges in order to use some of the tunnels which were more appropriate to canal settings. +3m was the latest as you could see the track and can place boats easily. Most boats including barges made today are of the +3m height. Vulcans locks, oil platforms, and dry docks use this height. There are a couple of boats on the DLS that have been created for all 3 levels.

Hi John ,
I was so free to look also at your site and got a warning (red Page) that under "privat owners" was a possibility for phishing .

Leksie .

Hi John ,
I was so free to look also at your site and got a warning (red Page) that under "privat owners" was a possibility for phishing .

Leksie .

Lucky lad.

Try Chrome and no antivirus, they often give false positives. Type in jatws.org into your browser and that should be fine.

Cheerio John

Hi John ,

Leksie .

Phishing is normally a suspect email with a link and not normally associated with a web site.

I'm not aware that any of my web site pages have the phrase "privat owners" on them. About five years ago the person who set up the web site used a package which did have security loop holes in it but the web site was sanitised and rebuilt from scratch some five years ago now. The pages are now coded directly in HTML 5 so there are no scripts on the web site. In other words the surface area for attack is very small. I have a background in computer security so I'd be very interested in knowing where you think there is a security problem on https://jatws.org. Make sure you type in the https://jatws.org in full. All the links on the site are https as well.

Cheerio John

Hi John. I can go to your site, but the links that go to Angelfire pop up a big warning in my Edge browser not to go there. Chrome goes to the links just fine, but does not appear to be loading any of the images. Sorry if this is off topic for the thread.

Hi John. I can go to your site, but the links that go to Angelfire pop up a big warning in my Edge browser not to go there. Chrome goes to the links just fine, but does not appear to be loading any of the images. Sorry if this is off topic for the thread.

No it's on topic but can you point me to the links that go to angelfire? All the images should be on my web site and the only links should be internal to the web site other than the ones to www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com which is Bob Sanders site and https://www.trainzkuidindex.com/.

I think Bob's site uses anglefire.com and I agree Edge gives me a warning and the images no longer appear. I'll bug him about it.

Thanks for the detail.

Cheerio John

I am going to the link in your signature, which is trainz-carriage-wagon-works, so it sounds like that is not your site, you have a different one? At t-c-w-w, the two GWR links and the two London links go to Angelfire. There are probably more, but I did not try them all. Apparently the Military link does not, it comes up fine.

I am going to the link in your signature, which is trainz-carriage-wagon-works, so it sounds like that is not your site, you have a different one? At t-c-w-w, the two GWR links and the two London links go to Angelfire. There are probably more, but I did not try them all. Apparently the Military link does not, it comes up fine.

Ta we're sorting it out and thanks for flagging it.

Cheerio John

The site doesn't have an SSL certificate so many browsers will tag it just for that. The HTML code does run a couple of small scripts however if you use firefox with no script it works fine.

Adding an SSL certificate either costs money or requires a degree of expertise that may not be available. Also the site has been around quite a long time and the tools that were used to build it don't exactly create to the latest HTML standard. The internal debate at the moment is what to do about it and who could do it.

Cheerio John

Edge seems to tag anything without an SSL certificate as phishing. This is basically known as a false positive. There is a process within Microsoft to report it as OK but it needs to be done for every link.

Both Chrome, Firefox seem to work fine. Occasionally the images don't come up but if you click on a smaller image it does come up.

The site does not ask for any personal information or credit card numbers therefore there is no suggestion of phishing. There are no files on the site to download. It is purely informational and has a few images.

Cheerio John

Adding an SSL certificate either costs money or requires a degree of expertise that may not be available. Also the site has been around quite a long time and the tools that were used to build it don't exactly create to the latest HTML standard. The internal debate at the moment is what to do about it and who could do it.Cheerio John
A couple of years ago I was able to create my own SSL certificate on my 'Intranet', but I wouldn't know how to do it for a public web site. (And this was just for Windows and Firefox.)
It really bugs me that they actually charge for something that should be free.

A couple of years ago I was able to create my own SSL certificate on my 'Intranet', but I wouldn't know how to do it for a public web site. (And this was just for Windows and Firefox.)
It really bugs me that they actually charge for something that should be free.

There are free solutions such as https://letsencrypt.org/ available but adding them to an existing web site is not always easy. Angelfire is owned by lycos who advertise that free SSL certificates are available for angelfire sites.
"Free SSL certificate for domains hosted on Tripod or Angelfire" Documentation on how to get one seems remarkably lacking.

Cheerio John

So, being frustrated with not getting/making perfect QLD crossings, I've come back to this which is a lower priority task, and sorted out the attachment points and have a working driveable destroyer. BUT....
it's floating above the water and then I realised off the side of the invisible track!! The reason for that is when viewing in PEVsoft Attachment I can see the 3 yellow axis lines do not pass through the centre of the ship. In fact they miss it completely, mostly. IE one axis passes up the starboard (right) side, then next crosses through the tip of the bow (horizontal) and of-course the third (vertical where they meet. My first problem was the vertical issues, but with both, I found moving the attachment points, I raised them 20 metres, then lower -10 metres, MADE NO DIFFERENCE!
I did drive it briefly, but it derailed/sunk. What am I missing now? :eek:

Back