Nottingham UK, station on fire!

euromodeller

Imagineer
The main city centre station in Nottingham UK is on fire, it's one of the oldest in the UK and is a protected (Grade 2 listed) building.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-nottinghamshire-42660181

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nottingham_station

_99567473_f6c6f9d9-7d15-4608-8902-e8d44f40f97c.jpg

That's sad to see. I read about this.

I hope they catch the arsonist since the fire appears to have been deliberate.

Only the new bits of the station were damaged, the original building has thankfully been spared!

That's good news. I'm glad the station has been reopened and the damage was isolated to the newer structure. It's sad when people do stuff like this.

Let's hope that things work out better for the Nottingham commuters than they did on Friday. On that day the rail metro (I think that's what they call it) was shut down as it runs adjacent to the rail station and most of Nottinghams Central bus services where out of action as they have been parking at the rail station due to the refurbishment of the bus station.

It was total chaos for commuters throughout Friday and I believe over most of this weekend. As stated, let us all hope that matters improve rapidly this week for those many thousands of people whose only wish is to get to and from their work in a reasonable time.
Bill

Last edited:
Being born in 1950 I grew up with steam trains and my brothers and I would travel by rail to wherever we could afford for train spotting (railfanning). I think I spent more time looking at the buildings than the trains!
We don't really appreciate our heritage of a fantastic mixture of engineering and architecture, Nottingham was a fascinating station and I would have been a bit upset if it had been destroyed.

Do you remember the mix of passengers, luggage, trucks, parcels, livestock etc, all on the platform at the same time? I do and it was a sight and sound to amaze me as a youngster. Health and safety? what's that then?

Have a look at this photo of St.Pancras in London..note the unguarded drop from platform to road level !

21.-The-trainshed-at-St-Pancras-pictured-1965.jpg

Photo borrowed from this article..

http://museumcrush.org/these-photos-reveal-200-years-in-the-history-of-british-railway-stations/

Last edited:
Hi everybody.
Being born in 1950 I grew up with steam trains and my brothers and I would travel by rail to wherever we could afford for train spotting (railfanning). I think I spent more time looking at the buildings than the trains!
We don't really appreciate our heritage of a fantastic mixture of engineering and architecture, Nottingham was a fascinating station and I would have been a bit upset if it had been destroyed.

Do you remember the mix of passengers, luggage, trucks, parcels, livestock etc, all on the platform at the same time? I do and it was a sight and sound to amaze me as a youngster. Health and safety? what's that then?

Euromodeller, I was also brought up in the 1940s-50s and can well remember the steam and early diesel era. However, I could not agree more with your views in the above posting regarding the wonderful buildings that the present UK rail network has inherited from our Victorian forefathers.

In the southwest we have the Great Western created by arguably the world's greatest engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel who not only built a wonderful railway but also created great station buildings in the process. Like you euromodeller I did spend time as a child looking at the huge pillars and roof stanchions at stations like Bristol Temple Meads and London Paddington and still do whenever I am on them.

However what we have to remember is that during the steam era those stations where mired in dirt, smoke, soot and ash and could be very unpleasant places to have to spend time in waiting for trains that never ran on time. in the foregoing I believe that the steam era is very much viewed through rose coloured glasses by those who do not remember the era.

in regard to safety on those stations and the rail industry in general prior to 1976, well it just did not really exist which was reciprocated in many other industries throughout Britain in those days.

However, what we now have are those wonderful station buildings many of them so we'll preserved and cleaned for us all to enjoy while using our rail network.

Bill

Last edited:
Back